Problem with Alien Sun Shade

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
just had the new set go bad on me as well...

IMG_8841.JPG
Wonder if two clips per bungie (side by side) would work as a temporary fix until they get their quality control issues squared away. Mine have stretched but not to this degree. My problem was the front bungies stretching to the point where the shade was resting on the sound bar. I know of at least one other member on here who has also experienced this.

6123FB14-39CE-4BE3-A6AC-B18ED65AC138.jpeg
FA0B338B-8D09-4AC3-AE71-18806E0C2A9C.jpeg
Sponsored

Skubaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Sahara
This is a real issue they seriously do need to address. I have mine installed. Had 3 of 4 go bad but was able to use the window to keep them on. They said they would pm me with replacement clips but either they never did or I don’t know how to see pm’s. Some have used the bolts of thw windshield to hold in place but that doesn’t help if you lower the windshield.

So far, mine are holding. I am not taking the shade off even for winter since I doubt the clips could go back on.

Alien really needs to figure it out.

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
I think I'm done with Alien - this is the second set of replacement clips, so my third set in total, that have warped away and would no longer hold the shade in place along the front. Unfortunately whatever plastic they are using is not up for the task of holding the straps in place. Any other shades that are looking good and will hold in place more than a month?

IMG_8991.JPG

Reactions: zyt

saltyaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Mine did this as well. I just looped the bungies around the windshield bolts for now until I can find a better sunshade. Also the full-length shade does scratch the paint in the middle of the back sport bar if you use it much at highway speed.

edzel14k

First Name
Champ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Andrew @AlienSunshade - thank you for the offer but not necessary. The straps actually work better without the clips when you use the windshield bolts to hold the front bungees. Not sure why everyone is so freaked out by tilting the windshield forward. It's actually faster than fiddling with the clips.

Really appreciate you reaching out.
Im having the same issues and the replace also got deformed, can you advise how did you hook the bungees on the windshield bolt?

Sponsored

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
So I had purchased the front and rear shades over a year ago when they were first released. Since then, the slack in the top is too much.. flaps when I drive. No biggie, reached out to Alien and they were going to send me new clips. Clips never arrived.... I emailed them again, asking for new clips, was told the note was sent to the warehouse and hopefully they send me some soon, I still dont have new clips.. months later. I think I may go buy the dirty dog. It looks promising, although a little more money.

It's a shame too because the mesh part of the shade is perfect and is holding up well... they really need metal clips.

OP
OP

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Im having the same issues and the replace also got deformed, can you advise how did you hook the bungees on the windshield bolt?
It's super easy.

1) Remove your freedom panels.

2) Remove windshield screws using your Jeep's toolkit.

3) Tilt windshield forward just enough to see the screw holes (about 2-3 inches).

4) With the shade detached, lay a bungee loop over each of the four windshield holes.

5) Return windshield to normal position.

6) Return windshield screws.

7) Attach shade to bungee loops. Done!

They know about the weak clips. Not sure why they're still shipping the defective ones and, worse, sending out defective replacements.

IMG_9213.jpg

IMG_5745.jpg

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
I thought one of the big advantages of Alienshade was you didn't have to lower the windshield?

Eduardo909

First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL MOAB
Happened to me during installation on the two outer bungees, one actually hit me on the fingernail and bruised it up nice lol. I’m sure it won’t be long until they come loose.

Sponsored

edzel14k

First Name
Champ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL 2018
Vehicle Showcase
It's super easy.

1) Remove your freedom panels.

2) Remove windshield screws using your Jeep's toolkit.

3) Tilt windshield forward just enough to see the screw holes (about 2-3 inches).

4) With the shade detached, lay a bungee loop over each of the four windshield holes.

5) Return windshield to normal position.

6) Return windshield screws.

7) Attach shade to bungee loops. Done!

They know about the weak clips. Not sure why they're still shipping the defective ones and, worse, sending out defective replacements.

IMG_9213.jpg

IMG_5745.jpg
Thanks for the procedure really appreciate that.

@AlienSunshade should have to look on the clip durability and look for other option on it

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Have had my Alien shade installed now for about a month....have not had these issues yet but thanks for the info on using the window frame bolts...guess thats going to happen at some point.

OP
OP

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Have had my Alien shade installed now for about a month....have not had these issues yet but thanks for the info on using the window frame bolts...guess thats going to happen at some point.
I think they’re okay if you get them in perfectly the first time. The fact that they’re wedged between the windshield and the top cross pillar keeps their shape.

If you don’t get them in perfectly the first time and have to retry — or if you ever need to remove the shade, the clips, or move the windshield, they bend and they’re done. It’s like a one-shot deal.

Last edited:

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I think they’re okay if you get them in perfectly the first time. The fact that they’re wedges between the windshield and the top cross pillar keeps their shape.

If you don’t get them in perfectly the first time and have to retry — or if you ever need to remove the shade, the clips, or move the windshield, they bend and they’re done. It’s like a one-shot deal.
Since they are definitely wedged in there...you are probably right.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Same issue here! Clip durability is a issue it seems.
Sponsored