Problem with Alien Sun Shade

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I installed my new Alien Sunshade a week ago. Dropped the windshield tonight and all four front bungees popped loose.
f2r6sl.jpg

When I tried to put them back, I noticed that all four plastic windshield clips had stretched. They no longer hold the front bungees to the windshield frame. I even tried to reinstall them with the windshield up.

2gt6teu.jpg

So it appears that these clips are either faulty or they’re one time use. Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Strange... PM, Alien Sunshade right away and ask for a new set of clips. I'm still sitting here trying to figure out what would have made the clips quit like that.

No, they are not "one time use"

Earth to
@AlienSunshade

OP
OP

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I probably will, though I have a feeling they’re going to break the same way again. I’m currently using the windshield bolts to hold the bungees and it actually works really well. The bolts are in the perfect position to stretch the front of the shade evenly.

Looking at the clips, I’d guess the shear load of the bungee pulling up and back is just greater than the clips’ tensile strength. After having been stretched, the clips are now soft like you’d expect from bent plastic.

OP
OP

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For reference, this is how they’re supposed to look and how they looked a week ago.
20tfbtg.jpg

And this is how they looked when they shot out.
mtwdol.jpg

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I had to remove/reinstall mine last week & noticed that they were somewhat stretched, not to that degree however. I was curious about it eventually doing that...will have to keep an eye out. With regard to Alien's customer service- I had a separate issue recently...called them...had replacement parts in-hand in two days. Now hoping it's a solid fix.

Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I'm thinking the windshield holds the longer end in so it can't bend out like that. Once you lowered the windshield maybe the bungees allowed the plastic to stretch?

I like the design of the clips since you don't have to lower the windshield to install (like the Spideyshade) but if the clips can't hold up.......well then that's a whole different story. With the Alien design you can keep the clips and bungees installed all year long at the windshield locations, even if you remove the shade for the winter.

Keep us posted on what they say.

OP
OP

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking the windshield holds the longer end in so it can't bend out like that. Once you lowered the windshield maybe the bungees allowed the plastic to stretch?

I like the design of the clips since you don't have to lower the windshield to install (like the Spideyshade) but if the clips can't hold up.......well then that's a whole different story. With the Alien design you can keep the clips and bungees installed all year long at the windshield locations, even if you remove the shade for the winter.

Keep us posted on what they say.
Lowering the windshield never really bothered me. It takes 60 seconds to lower the windshield; it took 15 minutes to fish the bungees through with the windshield up (that included deciphering the vague directions, fishing through the wrong way, yelling at my kids to not touch anything, re-fishing the other way, stretching the cord with one hand while trying to figure out which way the clip goes, Googling which way the clip goes, and pulling the clip back out because it didn't catch the first three times). Ultimately, lowering the windshield and running the windshield bolts through the bungees seems like a better solution than the clips. The bolts really are in the ideal location, which make the clips less than ideal.

I'm actually considering seeing if I can just return the whole thing. The Spiderweb Shade looks to have a much better fit. And I love the fact that there's no gap in the front.

Anyone have the Spiderweb Shade?

OP
OP

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Dan,
Andrew here. Very sorry to see this issue. I sent you a PM so we can send you new clips ASAP.
Hey Andrew @AlienSunshade - thank you for the offer but not necessary. The straps actually work better without the clips when you use the windshield bolts to hold the front bungees. Not sure why everyone is so freaked out by tilting the windshield forward. It's actually faster than fiddling with the clips.

Really appreciate you reaching out.

Farmdawg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
I dropped the windshield a few days ago for cleaning and had the same issue.

3BD26304-AA83-4680-8460-E30874598D75.jpeg

Sponsored

AlienSunshade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aliensunshade.com
Hey Andrew @AlienSunshade - thank you for the offer but not necessary. The straps actually work better without the clips when you use the windshield bolts to hold the front bungees. Not sure why everyone is so freaked out by tilting the windshield forward. It's actually faster than fiddling with the clips.

Really appreciate you reaching out.
Fair enough! That does sound like a good solution.:like:

Skubaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Sahara
I had the same issue. 3 out of 4 of my clips popped until I finally figured out the front window is what keeps it from popping. Took a whole lot of hit or miss trying to get all 4 to be in the right spot to get the windshield bolted back up. I actually also tried to use the bolts. But wasn’t sure it that wouldn’t cause leaks. Luckily, I won’t be lowering the windshield and will never remove those clips.

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
same happened to me. I got in touch with Alien and had new clips to me in a few days. I just assumed it was the heat - we're at or above 100 degrees all summer, and these clips were effectively melting and sliding out within a couple of weeks of install. we'll see how long the replacements last.

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
Same here! I just PM'd them about this.

This happened twice.. with the original and replacement clips.

Make sure to watch the plastic that lines the top of the windshield. In my case, the clips had deformed and started to displace that whole plastic piece that lines the top of freedom panels.

20180904_070057.jpg

20180904_070116.jpg