Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.johnmaclean.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
commercial and fine-art photographer
I’ve had my new JLUR with cloth seats for 5 weeks. I’m just under 5’8”, with a 30” inseam. I suffer from a back injury that happened more than 30 years ago.

My issue is I can’t seem to get comfortable in the seat, no matter how I adjust it. It’s actually the most uncomfortable seat I’ve ever driven in. It would be great if the bottom had a front to back tilt as I feel like I’m always sliding towards the pedals. And there’s minimal side to side holding, which is really bad off-road. I It just doesn’t come close to the bucket seat contour of others I’ve driven.

Is anyone else in agreement? Is there anything I can do without having to resort to replacing the seat?

TIA
Sponsored

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
I’ve had my new JLUR with cloth seats for 5 weeks. I’m just under 5’8”, with a 30” inseam. I suffer from a back injury that happened more than 30 years ago.

My issue is I can’t seem to get comfortable in the seat, no matter how I adjust it. It’s actually the most uncomfortable seat I’ve ever driven in. It would be great if the bottom had a front to back tilt as I feel like I’m always sliding towards the pedals. And there’s minimal side to side holding, which is really bad off-road. I It just doesn’t come close to the bucket seat contour of others I’ve driven.

Is anyone else in agreement? Is there anything I can do without having to resort to replacing the seat?

TIA
This may help. http://desertdoesit.com/
seat jackers, they definitely helped my seating comfort.
And my back.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon

TIA
Check out this thread it might be have what you need.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...at-jackers-and-seat-mount-molle-panels.61194/

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I'm near identical to your height and inseam. I have a bulged disc in my lower back that cause me pain on occasion, but not real often. I have leather seats in my 2018 and find it to be a very comfortable seat.

But I understand what I find to be a comfortable seat/position may not be what someone else considers a comfortable seat/position. As others have suggested, the products that raise the front of the seat may help you out. Good luck!

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

TIA
Sorry about your back.
I like the seat. You've already found the solution, replace it with something else. A power seat is the way to go, maybe one from an upscale Ram or other Dodge product would fit?

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
The OP mentioned sliding side to side when offroading. Assuming you have an auto, I would suggest you invest in a dead pedal (I got mine at quadratec for $50). Super easy to install and makes a huge difference.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Is anyone else in agreement?
No.

With due respect, your disclosure of a back injury dilutes the accusatory thread title, also.

I too have a back injury, with two general anesthesia surgeries on the books, so I do have empathy for your situation. While comfort is subjective, the stock cloth seats are reasonably comfortable IMO. That said, I recurringly do yoga to stay ahead of the curve, and I am careful to stop and stretch, during prolonged driving, as a hedge against lower back pain etc.

Possibly the seat raising accessory linked in the preceding posts would help you configure a workable solution.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnMacLean

JohnMacLean

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.johnmaclean.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
The OP mentioned sliding side to side when offroading. Assuming you have an auto, I would suggest you invest in a dead pedal (I got mine at quadratec for $50). Super easy to install and makes a huge difference.
Thanks, I have a dead pedal on backorder with Quadratec. However the seat still doesn’t have much side support either.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from a 2019 Toyota Tacoma: the Jeep seats are excellent!

Play with the cushion height in conjunction of the fore/aft adjustment. You should find a position that works.

Good luck!

OP
OP
JohnMacLean

JohnMacLean

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.johnmaclean.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Coming from a 2019 Toyota Tacoma: the Jeep seats are excellent!

Play with the cushion height in conjunction of the fore/aft adjustment. You should find a position that works.

Good luck!
I had a new 2000 Tacoma TRD and IMO the seats were way better in those. My most recent other vehicle a 2013 Honda Fit Sport I bought new in Oct 2102 has really "buckety" seats that still feel good after 141k miles. I'm going to try those desert does it seat jackers. I think that'll help a lot. Thanks!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I had a new 2000 Tacoma TRD and IMO the seats were way better in those. My most recent other vehicle a 2013 Honda Fit Sport I bought new in Oct 2102 has really "buckety" seats that still feel good after 141k miles. I'm going to try those desert does it seat jackers. I think that'll help a lot. Thanks!
My right hamstring and glute would cramp after 30 mins in the Tacoma. I tried sliding the seat fore/aft, adjusting the steering wheel and reclining the seat back; I even tried adding some spacers under the seat tracks, but there just weren’t enough possible variations. I could never find a comfortable position.

In my view Wrangler’s seating position is akin to sitting on a bar stool: it is a very upright position. It is supposed to aid seeing the hood and the corners of the Jeep on the trails.

I’ve seen some owners attempt to mimic a car driving position by reclining the seat back too far. It doesn’t seem to work well with the way Wrangler seating is set up.
Sponsored