• Total voters

Jeep4xe

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Y
You may know this already, but the 50mpge does not reflect your expected gas mileage. It's only an indication of efficiency while using electric power only. After about 25 miles, you will start to see the normal 2L engine's gas mileage (about 23.5mpg) until you recharge the battery. If you only take short trips & can charge every day, your gas mileage will be extremely good...at the expense of your electricity bill. I just want to make sure nobody expects 50 mpg from their JL 4xe.
I will try to get 1000 mpg of it , since 99% will be electric driving only :)
Sponsored

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
I will try to get 1000 mpg of it , since 99% will be electric driving only :)
I'm certain I won't get 1000mpg, but my normal use includes mostly short, daily trips within the electric range and weekly trips around 100miles. I just returned from a week of skiing in CO where I rented a JL Sport. With the turbo 4, it returned about 22mpg of driving mixed short trips and highway driving. (It also cost me hundreds due to a cracked windshield. :mad:). After adding larger tires & accessories, I expect the 4xe will get 18-20mpg while solely on gas averaged with the "infinite mpg" on battery. I will be quite happy to see mid 20's overall when including all my driving and charging daily.

DaveN

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2500
mine is not listed, i want the ability to use the power battery banks for camping setups, which i don't think they've added yet but will soon.
Exactly my thoughts. If I can figure out a way or they give it as an aftermarket option on the first batch, use the battery to power everything I need for camping and eliminate the need for propane. A bonus is that you can crawl stretches of trails in silence.

DaveN

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2500
Any idea how much it will cost in electricity to fully charge these?
It is a 17 kWh battery so that is a max. Assume 95% efficient charging (a guess) at 13 cents per kWh so 17 * 0.13 / 0.95 = $2.33. Basically a wash with gasoline for 25 miles.

Sponsored

Live-AxleX2

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLXP
PRIMARY REASON:
Want a Black exterior with Black Dark Saddle leather interior as our JK had. No JLs in dealer inventory have this combo (Sahara).

Our sweet JK with zero wear & tear was T-Boned hard just before Christmas, a Total Loss.
The urge is an immediate replacement but want it to be a new unit like the last one. Again, colour combo not to be found in inventory. Will have to order, and, not opting for just any JL, a 4XE!

No rebates or 'cost' deal up here in Canada. Still want a 4XE to get out of a putsy rental.

SECONDARY REASON:
All the PHEV Hype

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
Exactly my thoughts. If I can figure out a way or they give it as an aftermarket option on the first batch, use the battery to power everything I need for camping and eliminate the need for propane. A bonus is that you can crawl stretches of trails in silence.
somewhere in the original release video or the TFL version they mention that ability will come out soon after the first release and before the year is out if i recall that information correctly. was the TFL guys interviewing the Jeep guy.

(edited TFL not TLC)

Last edited:

DaveN

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2500
somewhere in the original release video or the TLC version they mention that ability will come out soon after the first release and before the year is out if i recall that information correctly. was the TLC guys interviewing the Jeep guy.
I think it was in the TFL video. I hope they either have it available when I get mine or it is available as an aftermarket add on. Also that it has sufficient current capacity. With the awareness in electrical grid fragility, it would be a good selling point for manufacturers to have managed 120/220 VAC output so people could use their cars as power backup for their houses to run at least the basics. I use 16.9 kWh per day on the coldest winter days running without restriction so a charged Jeep would cover me for a day. If I cut back to the basics, I'm at around 4 kWh/day so it would get me through four days.

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.8JKUX6MHD, 3.6JLUR6MPT, Deciding/waiting on Sarge JTRD or JTR4xe
Mow pahwah & toke. Better MPG & $7500 rebate r just bonus 4 me.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I think it was in the TFL video. I hope they either have it available when I get mine or it is available as an aftermarket add on. Also that it has sufficient current capacity. With the awareness in electrical grid fragility, it would be a good selling point for manufacturers to have managed 120/220 VAC output so people could use their cars as power backup for their houses to run at least the basics. I use 16.9 kWh per day on the coldest winter days running without restriction so a charged Jeep would cover me for a day. If I cut back to the basics, I'm at around 4 kWh/day so it would get me through four days.
I watched the TFL video and they did imply they would have a bigger inverter. For me the main selling point in that setup would be camping. would be plenty for my needs and even enough to charge my trolling motor batteries on my boat for a couple days.

One thing that concerns me is Tesla voids your warranty if you try and hook up your own inverter to power your house. I worry that Jeep may have an issue with us hooking up things that have large power draws.

Sponsored

Hermitjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Limited
I am a little different. Before this, I own a 2016 Renegade and a 2012 Volt. A 4xe lets me combine what I love about both into one vehicle. Additionally, I bought the Renegade thinking it would scratch my Jeep itch, however, I was wrong. I NEED a wrangler šŸ˜Š.

Big plus, I get to cut down maintenance and insurance to just 1 vehicle.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
I would rather vote all of the above. Icing on top of the fact you're buying the best Wrangler ever.

jdeolivares

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I am a little different. Before this, I own a 2016 Renegade and a 2012 Volt. A 4xe lets me combine what I love about both into one vehicle. Additionally, I bought the Renegade thinking it would scratch my Jeep itch, however, I was wrong. I NEED a wrangler šŸ˜Š.

Big plus, I get to cut down maintenance and insurance to just 1 vehicle.
I have a very similar story. I have a 2017 Renegade Trailhawk and I added BFG k02 AT tires. What I love about it are itā€™s ruggedness, snow/off road capability. What I wish was better was mpg for my commute to work. The 4xe Rubicon has even more ruggedness and the most capable off road stock vehicle you can buy. Add the increased mpg with the electric PHEV for my commute to work and the $7500 tax credit and you have everything I need.

KaiyaKai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chief Blue Rubicon 4XE
I have a very similar story. I have a 2017 Renegade Trailhawk and I added BFG k02 AT tires. What I love about it are itā€™s ruggedness, snow/off road capability. What I wish was better was mpg for my commute to work. The 4xe Rubicon has even more ruggedness and the most capable off road stock vehicle you can buy. Add the increased mpg with the electric PHEV for my commute to work and the $7500 tax credit and you have everything I need.
2015 Renegade Trailhawk here. I've done no mods or anything to it an am lucky to get 20 MPG. Gotta love hills. So the 4xe and my 8 1/2 mile round trip work commute is perfect!

sfurash53

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys
Given FCA's propensity for mucking up new technology i.e. eco diesel aren't you guys worried this first gen will be riddled with problems even though the gas engine has been around. FCA is not exactly Toyota.
Sponsored