Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Mine started after about 1 3/4 years after ownership.
Both hood hinges and two door hinges.
Firecracker Red
- Bubble location: Door hinges
- When: I think I remembered seeing it within the first year (2018)
- Color: Mojito!

*note: Jeep is not garage-kept, but it is under a carport and does not receive direct light when I'm home.
Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
From what I understand about this issue - Jeep decided to use aluminum for the door panels, and then went with steel hinges. Apparently, they never thought to put a barrier between the 2 unlike metals and voila - a galvanic cell. The problem isn't going to stop on its own - you will need to get the problem corrected and then modify a permanent fix or else it will start all over again. I just got my 2018 JLU back from the dealership. They were well aware of the problem and told me that I was covered for 5 years and unlimited mileage under corrosion protection. This issue is going to cost Chrysler (Stellantis) a small fortune in warranty repair costs. Go to your dealers guys - this should be covered! Good luck.
wonder if this is covered under my EW. I'll check to see. Thanks!

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
From what I saw on the few used JLU's I saw at my dealer (a 2018, 2020 and 2022) none of them had paint falling off or flaking, but they all had some type of bubbling paint on the various hinges to some degree or another.

They all were in good condition otherwise, so my guess would be under normal usage and less abuse the paint will hold up for 3-4 years? But then it could just be the result of those Jeeps being "lightly" driven
Thatā€™s how mine is. 4 years old next month and slight bubbling but no flaking.

mrsnorkel99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Tacoma, soon to be jeep owner
Iā€™m on Long Island too. Brownā€™s wouldnā€™t talk to me because I didnā€™t purchase there.
was told west Uslip has the body shop on site. Called them and they said they could see me but no repairs until spring.
I will try port jeff and see what they say. some dealers really are awful.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will try port jeff and see what they say. some dealers really are awful.
Please post their response. Iā€™m curious. Theyā€™ll likely refer you to the west islip dealer.

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am also wondering now for those of us that have the tailgate reinforcement if that is going to cause dissimar metal corrosion on the tailgate. I assume that is steel??

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
God I hate this freaking topic. I just want to close my eyes and block my ears and pretend this really isn't a thing. Lol.

Weekly I wash and go over my 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon hoping that this Wrangler Bubble Virus doesn't infect my beloved.

For Christ sake Jeep give us cure man!šŸ¤£

Variants_428x244.jpg

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
wonder if this is covered under my EW. I'll check to see. Thanks!
My basic warranty was expired and my local dealer took care of it for me. They took a few pictures and submitted the claim. I got approved but have been waiting a while to get an appointment at the body shop. Hopefully they'll call in the next few days.

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
4 years old and way past the warranty. This morning my friend said "hey what's going on with the paint on your doors?" Well it turns out the bottom of both passenger side doors are all bubbled. I guess I don't go on that side of the car very often because I had no idea :facepalm:. It would appear that puberty hits these jeeps at a relatively young age and the acne is rampant.

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
4 years old and way past the warranty. This morning my friend said "hey what's going on with the paint on your doors?" Well it turns out the bottom of both passenger side doors are all bubbled. I guess I don't go on that side of the car very often because I had no idea :facepalm:. It would appear that puberty hits these jeeps at a relatively young age and the acne is rampant.
šŸ’€āš°ā˜ 

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really don't know what to do. Mine is bubbling, but not as bad as some have posted here. It's just the unknown, ya know? Am i going to get a few more years before it looks gross? There's just no telling. Part of me says sell now while i can get the most money for it, and other part of me says fix it and deal with it and cross my fingers.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
God I hate this freaking topic. I just want to close my eyes and block my ears and pretend this really isn't a thing. Lol.

Weekly I wash and go over my 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon hoping that this Wrangler Bubble Virus doesn't infect my beloved.

For Christ sake Jeep give us cure man!šŸ¤£

Variants_428x244.jpg
You could always be proactive about this, and mount a few "Sacrificial Zinc Anodes", to your Jeep. Just like boats have.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
You could always be proactive about this, and mount a few "Sacrificial Zinc Anodes", to your Jeep. Just like boats have.
The problem though is it's under the paint. Would that still help? Where do you get them? I'll look into it. šŸ‘

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
The problem though is it's under the paint. Would that still help? Where do you get them? I'll look into it. šŸ‘
I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. So, I guess I can be an expert.
In theory, as long as the metal, that would be corroding, is in contact with the Sacrificial Anode, the anode would corrode first, and continues to corrode, until removed, or completely disintegrated.
Sponsored