Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Yours has very obvious missing paint where hinge meets doors. If only they had bothered to paint under the hinges, it may have retarded the progress :mad:
who knows lol.

I’m not too bothered about the bubbling as long as it is minimalized. I expected my Jeep to have dings and scratches after use,so the visual affects of the bubbling doesn’t bother me much.

I’m more concerned about the components under the hood working properly lol. If I’m good on that, I’m good with the Jeep overall.

I’ll address the bubbling paint if it becomes a larger issue moving forward. Hopefully it won’t but things do deteriorate with time…
Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
There isn't one stock JL that came from the factory with paint under the hinges.
They should have. It seems the newer ones have a gasket, between the hinge and door.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
They should have. It seems the newer ones have a gasket, between the hinge and door.
I did not believe this until I checked the hinges on my 2023 this afternoon. Up to and including 2022, the direct contact between door and hinge and lack of paint was clearly visible. There is an obvious gap now, which might be a gasket, or something else. See picture.

20221105_101831.jpg

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not believe this until I checked the hinges on my 2023 this afternoon. Up to and including 2022, the direct contact between door and hinge and lack of paint was clearly visible. There is an obvious gap now, which might be a gasket, or something else. See picture.

20221105_101831.jpg
Can you check and see if there is a gasket between the hood hinges??

Sponsored

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Can you check and see if there is a gasket between the hood hinges??

I'll take a look, but the hood on the HEMI is steel from what I understand. So on this model anyway, it might not be there.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll take a look, but the hood on the HEMI is steel from what I understand. So on this model anyway, it might not be there.
You are probably right.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
I just checked the hood hinges and they are tight to the hood, no gasket. It does, however, appear that the tailgate hinge has a gasket.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just checked the hood hinges and they are tight to the hood, no gasket. It does, however, appear that the tailgate hinge has a gasket.
Wow, so the makers of our Jeeps are actually listening, and really do want to correct an issue?? These are crazy times we live in. 😂😂

Sponsored

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
We have yet to actually see one. I know we've seen what looks like one but no one has removed a hinge completely and posted a pic here of one.
Enlarge the photo I posted and you will notice a sizable gap now. Having looked at so many of these hinges, not only on my 2019, but also on other years at the dealers including 2022, I never saw a gap like that. If I remember, tomorrow I'll see what happens when I measure with feeler gauge.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Enlarge the photo I posted and you will notice a sizable gap now. Having looked at so many of these hinges, not only on my 2019, but also on other years at the dealers including 2022, I never saw a gap like that. If I remember, tomorrow I'll see what happens when I measure with feeler gauge.
Are you up for a little experiment????? Take one for the teams curiosity?? Well, @Dyolfknip74 's curiosity anyway.

We have yet to actually see one. I know we've seen what looks like one but no one has removed a hinge completely and posted a pic here of one.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Hinge removal won't happen in the near future, I'm way to tied up now to mess with that. However, If indeed there's gasket in that much larger gap, I'll be able to determine so with a feeler gauge.

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
God I hate this freaking topic. I just want to close my eyes and block my ears and pretend this really isn't a thing. Lol.

Weekly I wash and go over my 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon hoping that this Wrangler Bubble Virus doesn't infect my beloved.

For Christ sake Jeep give us cure man!🤣

Jeep Wrangler JL Poll: Bubbles in Paint?? 20221105_101831
JeepViking, I feel the exact same way as you.

This issue of bubbling paint & corrosion under the paint was not unknown to me before ordering my 2022 JL, but I was not aware of the apparent widespread extent of it, nor was I aware of just how quickly it is manifesting itself in many Jeeps. Nor was I aware that there is seemingly no long-term solution to it, even after having the affected hinges and panels repainted. Frankly, it is like having a very depressing sword of Damocles hanging over my head with this new Jeep, which I would like to think I will keep for a very long time. But will this corrosion situation allow any of us to do that, without our Jeeps looking like total shit after just a handful of years?

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Are you up for a little experiment????? Take one for the teams curiosity?? Well, @Dyolfknip74 's curiosity anyway.

Lol, not really for me. Mine have been LineXd. Any corrosion warranty I had on the hinges is long gone. The hinges won't bubble now anyway. I just don't want the shitty bubbles around the hinges or at the bottom of my doors.
Sponsored