Oil Filter Torqueing Question

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thanks. I was thinking about that as I was tightening everything last week. It seems like the filter housing is just hanging out there with no supports. I figured over time, the base of it will crack and start leaking oil.
They almost never crack, they just start leaking at the housing gasket where it meets the block. Or at the oil pressure switch.
Sponsored

Moblrn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 3.6 liter V6
Occupation
RN
Changed the oil for the first time in my 2022. Funny with all the posts, nothing has changed. No information in the owners manual regarding "Torque" setting, but if you look VERY CLOSELY at the cap to the filter housing you can almost see a number. Had to highlight it with chalk to be able to read it. Guess I should have read this before going ahead and getting the 3.6 vs the 2.0

Rod

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Changed the oil for the first time in my 2022. Funny with all the posts, nothing has changed. No information in the owners manual regarding "Torque" setting, but if you look VERY CLOSELY at the cap to the filter housing you can almost see a number. Had to highlight it with chalk to be able to read it. Guess I should have read this before going ahead and getting the 3.6 vs the 2.0

Rod
It's 18 ft lbs, but like I mentioned in my post on page one, just snug it down like you would a canister type filter w/ your hand, like a 1/4 turn past snug. I'd put some oil on those cap threads, it likes to bind up IME.

Moblrn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 3.6 liter V6
Occupation
RN
It's 18 ft lbs, but like I mentioned in my post on page one, just snug it down like you would a canister type filter w/ your hand, like a 1/4 turn past snug. I'd put some oil on those cap threads, it likes to bind up IME.
Thanks, will do the oil on the threads next time too.

Rod

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
When tightening though, it was weird where it wasn't a smooth tight, it was more of resistance was met and then it would jump to the next resistance area, if that makes sense. If anything it was kind of jumpy when tightening. I only had a 24mm deep impact socket with a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer socket to an extension to a torque wrench available. I have since ordered a 3/8" 24mm socket.
I changed my oil right before Labor Day weekend and had the same thing happen. I thought hand tightening with the socket would be enough and it felt like it was spinning and never tightening. Then I put the torque wrench to it at 18 Ft-Lbs and it tightened and was fine. I did not put oil on the threads but just the O-rings.

Sponsored

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not exactly sure how that will benefit our situation. I believe the part that cracks off sits lower than the cap.

If anything, maybe the plastic bolthead that you put the socket on lasts longer...but that plastic is pretty hard. I would also be afraid that the aluminum would heat up the plastic more and could deform something.
Yeah, I don't know... the plastic OEM set-up has been fine for me for the last three years and 9 oil changes. I hand tight the cap and then go about an 1/8 of a turn with wrench.

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon 2dr ,2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr
I have been torquing mine at 18 ft.lbs since my 2016 jk , 100k miles, every 4k miles, no problems . And 2 JLs and 2 gladiators later I still have never had a problem, I do lube the new o-ring, oh , the guy that bought my 16 jk has made about 5 or 6 trips to Newfoundland from Maine and I think he has only had to replace 1 injector and a radio. My current JLR has 55k and I hope it is as dependable as the jk.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer