Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sure the meeting the manager had went well lol
The manager was very apologetic and shocked it happened. I told him I’ve been coming here for 6 years and this was a first and was shocked. This is the only dealership I prefer using the rest seem to take forever one simple tasks.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Those of you who allow the dealer to do your tire rotations, look at your wheels around the lug nuts and the actual lug nuts . It bet you will find all kinds of dings, scrapes, nicks and beat up lug nuts caused by careless use of an impact. Usually the lug nut seat on the wheel will be galled from way too much torque being applied when tightening.
Nothing scratched my wheels up worse than the tire tool that comes with the Jeep. Very poor casting.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
As soon as I saw it, I decided to use my tools rather than that POS. I bought a 1/2" ratchet and a 22mm 6 point socket to keep in the Jeep as the lug wrench. The factory one will be used for a hammer or a stake or maybe a small anchor, but it will never turn a lug nut on my Jeep.

I'd happily give mine to someone on the trail or road who has lost theirs. I've given away a few lug wrenches and jacks in the past. It's amazing how many people took them out for some reason, then never put them back in.

Last edited:

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Those of you who allow the dealer to do your tire rotations, look at your wheels around the lug nuts and the actual lug nuts . It bet you will find all kinds of dings, scrapes, nicks and beat up lug nuts caused by careless use of an impact. Usually the lug nut seat on the wheel will be galled from way too much torque being applied when tightening.
Dealers and tire places use these high torque impact guns coupled with incorrect lug torquing sequence and you have warped brake rotors. I'm noticing steering vibration on my wife's Honda after we installed new tires at the Discount tire shop. They are all sloppy and seem to work like a race pit crew to get your car out ASAP. pisses me off.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Dealers and tire places use these high torque impact guns coupled with incorrect lug torquing sequence and you have warped brake rotors. I'm noticing steering vibration on my wife's Honda after we installed new tires at the Discount tire shop. They are all sloppy and seem to work like a race pit crew to get your car out ASAP. pisses me off.
The last tire two tire shops I've used were pretty diligent. All the wheels got lightly torqued down with an impact, followed by using a torque wrench and an acceptable pattern. But, they may be the exception.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Any oil change place will take it, Walmart usually does, otherwise your local recycling center will as well.
dont use walmart..... my brother in law just learned the hard way...... not even 25 miles from having his oil changed his motor blew-up...

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Those of you who allow the dealer to do your tire rotations, look at your wheels around the lug nuts and the actual lug nuts . It bet you will find all kinds of dings, scrapes, nicks and beat up lug nuts caused by careless use of an impact.

Usually the lug nut seat on the wheel will be galled from way too much torque being applied when tightening.
PA has an annual Safety inspection requirement, meaning at least two wheels (1 front, 1 rear) will be removed as a matter of course to accommodate examining the brake pad thickness. I've long made it a point to tell the service writer that I want the lugs hand torqued. After observing avoidable dings & scrapes on the previously perfect lug nuts, and having to pay for 2 stud replacements that weren't my fault, I now also write "Hand torque all lug nuts" in all caps on the work order when turning the keys over.

I've said more than twice that there's a market (whether that market wants it or not) for impact wrenches with counter-clockwise -- i.e., loosening -- rotation only. I know that time is money, but a Service Dept. appointment isn't a NASCAR pit stop, FFS.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Thankfully my BMW dealer installed photo/ video equipment. Seems too many people were trying to pull the you damaged my vehicle / wheels scam. Now the service writer can pull up high definition video to prove or disprove. Hope their Jeep dealership does the same. In the OP's case he could prove they did the damage.

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
dont use walmart..... my brother in law just learned the hard way...... not even 25 miles from having his oil changed his motor blew-up...
I wasn’t recommending to have Walmart change your oil but just a place you can bring your used oil to and they will dispose of it. Or so I’ve been told.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Thankfully my BMW dealer installed photo/ video equipment. Seems too many people were trying to pull the you damaged my vehicle / wheels scam. Now the service writer can pull up high definition video to prove or disprove. Hope their Jeep dealership does the same. In the OP's case he could prove they did the damage.
If the guys in the shop know the cameras are there, you can bet they will be more careful.

As far as impacts, Discount Tire has proven to me after numerous return trips to have damage or poor workmanship dealt with, that I will never go there again. They have had more than enough chances. I use only local shops now.

Sam's once broke a wheel stud with an impact on a 1 ton Chevy 3500 that I had years ago. They never told me. When I went back the next day, they denied it. I just changed it myself when I got home, as there was no way I would have trusted them to such a simple task.

I can easily change my oil at home, diff fluid too. I wish I had a tire changer and balancer in the garage, I'd never go to a tire store again. I used to work for an independent tire shop years ago, they wanted the job done right the first time, even if it took a few minutes longer. It was a small town, so there was no competition from big box tire retailers who offer lifetime rotions and balancing and free flat repairs. Those things are what keeps Discount's waiting rooms and bays packed. Bored? let's go get the tires rotated and balanced. And those crowded waiting rooms and bays are what cause them to rush, make mitakes and damage cars and wheels. But they do sell more tires that way.

The best way (used to be anyway) to get better service is to go on a weekday, Tuesday-Thursday). That was the least busy time and all the best techs worked on those days. Saturday is the worst day, as that's when the people who still work are able to get their cars in. Also, the senior techs are going to have that day off.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
PA has an annual Safety inspection requirement
I prefer to think of it as an annual safety inspection sticker requirement. As such, I patronize a few places that will simply sell me what I need to satisfy that requirement. :rock:
Sponsored