Sponsored

Upset with dealership oil change

RogueRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black JLR, 2018 Granite JLR (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
So a few days after having my local dealer do my first Jeep Wave oil change, I've noticed a big oil spill in my parking spot. I look under the car and my oil pan is leaking! No damage, it just seems to be coming from either an overfilled pan or an undertorqued plug.

I called the dealer but they're too busy to see me for another two weeks. @JeepCares how are dealers still having so many issues with simple oil changes on these things?

Anyway, this is what I get for being an apartment dweller! Next time I'm just gonna do it myself in the auto store parking lot.
Sponsored

cthomas31

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sport S Manual Soft top
As others have said, learn to change it yourself if you have the means to do so. I went to the dealer once because I had a free oil change and they put 6 quarts instead of 5. The free oil change isn’t worth the damage that can cause. Also, techs are really scarce right now and oil changes are assigned to techs that have little to no experience.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Free oil changes aren't "free".
Yep. Sometimes free just costs too much.

The oil change person at the dealership is usually at the bottom of the totem pole. I have more faith in the quick lube shops than the dealership oil change people. And that's a pretty low bar.

I have never had any of my Jeeps in to the dealership unless it's warranty work. And even then I double checked their work.

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
Shady experience today at my local dealership. My wife's 22 jeep renegade was due for her fist oil change in her new car (7000 mi. ). The dealership cancelled her appointment last week stating they had no oil filters and that they have been on back order for months. I called around my area to dealerships and parts stores and this was confirmed all over my region even online. No filters anywhere for a 1.3 turbo renegade!
I was in shock and Disbelief and called back my local dealership and told them I still wanted an oil change sans new filter. At least the engine has fresh oil, I figured the old filter can hold out a while longer until new filters are available.
Low and behold, all of a sudden they have filters now and apparently the oil change is complete my wife said. I plan on doing her next oil change in the spring myself --I don't own any Jack stands or nice jack yet but definitely plan on investing in the spring.
I feel we were lied to.....I don't think they replaced the oil filter because no one in a 100 mile radius had these filters 2 days ago and all of a sudden on the day I brought it down to get just new oil they magically found a filter?...yeah I call bull shit!

Sponsored

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
A relative just had his oil changed at a local dealership.It had fresh oil but looked like the filter housing had not been touched.He checked, and they certainly left the old oil filter in. I haven't used any of the free oil changes and don't plan to. The wrenching doesn't bother me.It's the electronics.....omfg!

seanpublic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Sport S

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Pretty pathetic state of affairs when a car dealership can't even perform a simple oil change!
So glad I do my own. They can have their "free" oil changes 🙄

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
The dealer where we purchased our Jeeps have a lifetime PT warranty. Catch is you have to come there for all services. I still wont take it in for a simple oil changes for all the reasons stated in this thread. Half the time these techs dont know their own products capabilities and limitations. Its a shame the state of things.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

So a few days after having my local dealer do my first Jeep Wave oil change, I've noticed a big oil spill in my parking spot. I look under the car and my oil pan is leaking! No damage, it just seems to be coming from either an overfilled pan or an undertorqued plug.

I called the dealer but they're too busy to see me for another two weeks. @JeepCares how are dealers still having so many issues with simple oil changes on these things?

Anyway, this is what I get for being an apartment dweller! Next time I'm just gonna do it myself in the auto store parking lot.
it could be they didnt put the oil filter on tight enough and/or re-used the same orings which get flat and allow oil to leak out (happened to me)

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)

So, they expect you to just let the oil drain out for 2 weeks and hope it's not enough for the engine to blow? That's unbelievably negligent.
Sponsored