Sponsored

Need opinions/advice.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Having been involved in the YouTube channel business for a few years, I can tell you with certainty that having a 392 verses a Willy's or Rubicon will have no effect on whether your YouTube channel makes it or not. The type of YouTube channel you are describing will depend mostly on the relationship you create "on-sreen" with your daughter, and the relationship you and your daughter create with your intended audience. The energy the two of you exude on camera, the activities you partake in, how you bring your audience along with you, and if you can keep them coming back. Having a 392 is not going to help with any of those critical points.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Only you know your situation. I do not have any money in the market, never have. It really isn't money until you take it out and spend it on something tangible. As you know it can also go away tomorrow with no warning. So many posts suggesting a $70-80k vehicle is something exotic these days. Almost everybody I know rolls around in a big diesel pick-up that ran them $70-90k. The 392 should retain decent resale so it isn't like you are going to "lose it all" if you decide to sell it, or the financials become too stressful. You only live once. I have leveraged myself more than once on unique expensive vehicles. The regret when you make a mistake doesn't last long. The experience on the other hand is almost always worth the cost, for me anyway. Money "in the bank" seems to comfort many. Rubber on the road and V8 noises are more my speed. It is the experiences that matter. Good Luck with your choice.
I agree. When I bought my 2015 Scat Pack years ago I financed the entire car. The payments weren't cheap. But the experience was so worth it at the time. That car helped me get through my wife's affair and other huge things that slammed my life during that time. Shifting that 6 speed and listening to that 392 was like medicine. Technically I'm in a better position now to buy even though the Jeep is much more expensive than the Scat Pack was. The difference is I can almost pay cash for the entire vehicle this time instead of financing the entire thing.

And like they say you can't take money with you when you die. Mise well spend it and enjoy it. So many people save money until they are old and do nothing with it. I don't know. Definitely a hard decision. I don't know just thinking out loud.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
You only live once...yes

However, without knowing all your finances, you need to plan for the future of you, your daughter, and your family....especially if anything happens to you. Otherwise, take a peek into what is required to save for a sensible retirement. :surprised:

My advice (and I have no grounds to tell you what to do :) ) is to get a sensible wrangler....hell, even a used TJ if you can find a reasonably priced one, and completely avoid the extra (and very marked up) price for the 392.

All in all, I think you answered your own question.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Eh, I think the diversification of entertainment is a good thing. Bringing the billions out of the industry and dispersing that amongst more normal people. Lots of good mechanic, gun, engineering, outdoors channels. Just have to stay away from the constantly promoted self fellating young dipshits.
I was just thinking about this concept this morning, I cannot stand the hollywood types. It is good that the waters have been diluted but there are so many channels (especially in the Jeep community) ran by narcissistic worthless people pushing random product they don't believe in and unnecessary drama. If they change vehicles and brand loyalty like girls change shoes, they're not really worth following. I will skip through most of the vids to see a product's fitment but I mute the video because their opinion means crap all. If I want to see bouncy girls in tight clothes just looking for clicks there are other places lol.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Having been involved in the YouTube channel business for a few years, I can tell you with certainty that having a 392 verses a Willy's or Rubicon will have no effect on whether your YouTube channel makes it or not. The type of YouTube channel you are describing will depend mostly on the relationship you create "on-sreen" with your daughter, and the relationship you and your daughter create with your intended audience. The energy the two of you exude on camera, the activities you partake in, how you bring your audience along with you, and if you can keep them coming back. Having a 392 is not going to help with any of those critical points.

Best,
-Tim
I agree with this. I've already said this to myself and my daughter as well. 99% is going to depend on all the things you explained. With that said a vehicle like the 392 Jeep can bring in people that would have never found the channel in the first place. Hard to explain now because I want to keep the idea of my channel a surprise for now until it's released.

But I've subscribed to people on YouTube that I would have never found if it wasn't for their car at the time. Many times. It definitely helps. And most of them actually made it surprisingly.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I agree with this. I've already said this to myself and my daughter as well. 99% is going to depend on all the things you explained. With that said a vehicle like the 392 Jeep can bring in people that would have never found the channel in the first place. Hard to explain now because I want to keep the idea of my channel a surprise for now until it's released.

But I've subscribed to people on YouTube that I would have never found if it wasn't for their car at the time. Many times. It definitely helps. And most of them actually made it surprisingly.
the channels you subscribed to made it for the same reason you subbed to them in the first place. Because the algorithm promoted them. The vast majority of channels have no subs at all.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
You only live once...yes

However, without knowing all your finances, you need to plan for the future of you, your daughter, and your family....especially if anything happens to you. Otherwise, take a peek into what is required to save for a sensible retirement. :surprised:

My advice (and I have no grounds to tell you what to do :) ) is to get a sensible wrangler....hell, even a used TJ if you can find a reasonably priced one, and completely avoid the extra (and very marked up) price for the 392.

All in all, I think you answered your own question.
The only problem with the "safe bet" is that you have zero control over what happens tomorrow. I know people think they get this all dialed and they have savings and stability and it can not be taken from them on Gods whim but I am here to tell you, that happens every single day to millions.

I went from millions in assets to scraping for a paycheck ( a solid decade of each) and now back to somewhere in between. The people I see who play it safe show up in these mountains in their 60's-70's and 80's wondering why they did what they did, wondering and realizing how much LIFE they missed by playing it safe.

Everybody certainly needs to make these choices for themselves but when I look at the people playing it safe, planning and saving for the future while passing on living today, they are the ones dying with the most regrets.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
the channels you subscribed to made it for the same reason you subbed to them in the first place. Because the algorithm promoted them. The vast majority of channels have no subs at all.
At the time there was a few that I was one of the first subscribers and they we're literally a nobody. The only reason I found them was searching for the particular vehicle.

I'm not saying you're wrong because you are definitely right and I know that's how it works. I'm just saying it helps.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
The only problem with the "safe bet" is that you have zero control over what happens tomorrow. I know people think they get this all dialed and they have savings and stability and it can not be taken from them on Gods whim but I am here to tell you, that happens every single day to millions.

I went from millions in assets to scraping for a paycheck ( a solid decade of each) and now back to somewhere in between. The people I see who play it safe show up in these mountains in their 60's-70's and 80's wondering why they did what they did, wondering and realizing how much LIFE they missed by playing it safe.

Everybody certainly needs to make these choices for themselves but when I look at the people playing it safe, planning and saving for the future while passing on living today, they are the ones dying with the most regrets.
I agree. This is what I've seen and am starting to learn myself 100% especially in the crazy world we are living in right now. Life is super short.👍

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The "just get a Rubicon" comments are kind of comical. A loaded Rubicon is $60k, the 392 is $80k. In my opinion if you can afford a $60k vehicle, you can probably swing an $80k vehicle too. I won't claim to know enough about your financial situation to say whether you can really afford either, but I hope you are factoring in the massive capital gains tax you'll be hit with if you pull your investments. Loaded trucks are pushing $100k, a tesla model s $100-140k, $80k isn't unheard of and definitely not Ferrari or Lamborghini money where selling if the need or want arises puts you in a very limited market. I agree with the advice to live like it's your last day while budgeting like you'll live forever. A solid retirement strategy is #1 in my opinion. Beyond that, investing in your happiness is far more important than hoarding money.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Believe me I totally agree with you. It's definitely not an easy decision. The easy decision would actually be not spending any money at all. And I understand YouTube is a hard thing to do and actually make it.

Unfortunately I've learned that making the hard smart decisions doesn't mean they're the right ones. I've walked such a tight narrow path trying to be the perfect person and trying to make everyone around me happy that I ended up being unhappy and totally stressed out. I've been through so much crap you couldn't even imagine without getting into personal details.

I feel like if i don't do this I'll always wonder what if I did? Would it have helped the channel? Maybe enough that we would be that 1 out of a 1,000 that makes it? I guess I would never know unless I try. Like any big business investment it's a gamble and you're pretty much betting on yourself. It's never an easy decision. People invest in businesses all the time and alot fail. But I won't know unless I try. I already have so many regrets in life that I let pass me buy because I thought it was the right decision for people around me.

I'm only thinking out loud by the way when I respond. You're definitely not wrong. Nobody really is. It's just a matter of perspective and opinion. And I appreciate it a lot.
Not getting personal but your age, your daughters age and nest egg should be considered. A younger person can afford to take more risk because they have more time to recover if a investment does not work out. Retirement age or near retirement age people should not be taking as much risk. Don't know how old your daughter is but time and compounded interest are powerful tools. It's a very powerful tool for a teenager. That $70K or so can grow to be quite substantial even if invested in conservative funds if you have the time. Not too much stress if you invest in the S&P or something.

You sound like you have justified the 392 by creating content for your channel. Make a comprehensive business plan. Make it a real business and hopefully you can write off some of your expenses. What type of content are you and your daughter planning on doing? Something like Kevin and Britney's Lite Brite channel?

Last edited:

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
Typically I don't ask for advice like this. But this is a hard one considering the current environment we're in with Covid-19 and everything else that's going on. It's really making me consider the you only live once theme and life is short. Especially being I have heart problems and I'm high risk.

Originally I planned on ordering a 2 door 2022 Willys or Rubicon. But lately I've been seriously considering possibly getting a 392. Especially since my daughter and I are getting ready to start a youtube channel. We both think it would help the channel.

The problem is I'm not rich. I did take $12k 2 years ago and invested in the stock market. It was a long grinde and traded the hard way. In and out of trades and when I broke $25k I started day trading. Also selling puts. Right now I have $70k exactly. Truth be told the stock market is burning me out big time. Especially lately. I'm lucky I made what I did.

I have excellent credit and could put like $20k down and finance the rest and continue to sell puts in the Market to pay the payments. But that's never a guarantee and like I said the stock market is burning me out. Or I can pay for 90% of it and finance a small amount. Might even be able to pay 100% buy the time it comes in.

As far as the YouTube channel goes I'm not under the delusion that it will take off become popular and make us a lot of money. I pray to God it does but It's more something my daughter really wants to get into with me and have fun. At the same time we both plan on working hard for the channel and making it entertaining. We both really like the 392 and do think it can help. I look at it like sort of a business investment. I really think we are going to have good content that you guys will like. I think our content and hard work will speak for itself but I have seen people make it on YouTube and the vehicle was definitely a catalyst even if it was just for people to find the channel. It definitely was.

Also as a side note I'm a huge muscle car fan and I really miss my 392 Challenger Scat pack. Muscle cars we're never a practical vehicle living in the north in the winter and I feel like the 392 Jeep can be the best of both worlds. Off Roading and Muscle car.

I don't know. This is definitely not an easy decision. And in normal circumstances the responsible me wouldn't do it. Its definitely a big investment. But it's definitely crazy times we're living in and life is short. That's literally the reality more then ever! And if anything even if the channel doesn't make it we'll have a hell of a good time in the 392 Jeep together while we can!

What to do? 🤔
I think your plan is a good one. Regardless of your intended channel content, or whether you are able to draw an audience or not, the 392 is an investment. 2021 and 2022 vehicles will be (comparatively) rare, and prices continue to climb for both new and used vehicles. If you can afford a 392, then you really can’t go wrong. Buy one while you can, and enjoy it.

Good luck with the channel!

macphisto13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT but wanting to add a Jeep to my stable
Wow... first off, congrats that you have a close enough relationship with your daughter that she wants to do a youtube channel with you. That's amazing and awesome. Cherish it.

I was surprised by the number of people advising against getting it. This is a Wrangler forum with noting but a bunch of crazy Wrangler fans. I thought for sure you were going to have a bunch of people telling you to get it. I was going to advise you to get it but after reading the comments, I'm on the fence. The one question I have for you... why are you investing? Was it for retirement? Was it just to play and see how it could do? Was it a way to grow money to buy something? I think the ultimate decision should come with your answer to that question.

My dream has been to have both a sports car AND a Wrangler. I've had both at different times and they both fill very different needs. I paid off my Mustang a few years back and have been saving to buy my dream Wrangler, which I placed an order for yesterday so in a few months I'll have my dream. I didn't have to take anything out of retirement savings to do this.

Yes, we have no control over tomorrow but I know the Wrangler can be sold for very close to what I paid for it if things go south and we need the money.

So that's just my experience. I can't pretend to know yours. But I would say your answer is probably somewhere between all the responses on here. Live life but don't screw over your future self to do it. And let this tattoo be a cautionary tale...

Jeep Wrangler JL Need opinions/advice. 1634046624269

Good luck with the Youtube channel! Share with this forum and highlight your Jeep! I'll watch.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
The 392 wouldn't make you anymore popular on youtube than would a well built Willys. I would go 4 doors however because of the Utility factor, but I'll let you figure that out. I've owned 2 YJ and a TJ and would never go back to a 2 doors, even if my kids are grown-up and have their own cars. My dog enjoys the added space.

With this said, I totally know that that's not what you want to hear, as most people that present things the way you did, normally have their minds made-up and are just looking for one or a handful of people to say what they wanna hear.

Personally, while I totally can afford the 392, I have zero interest in it, as I never ever need the added power that it provides over the other models. Add to the brainstorming the mpg and the electrical direction that the industry is taking and that would equal a very bad trade/decision in the stock market.

As I keep telling the guys in the Porsche forum, buying a vehicle as an investment is totally ridiculous if you're gonna use it. All it takes is a Carfax and your investment is down the drain as the investors want a very low mileage, virgin Carfax history to buy your vehicle to go put it in a glass garage while it continues to raise in value. and only the rich rich can safely do that. Otherwise one texter and driver not noticing that you are coming to a stop and slam you in the back, just ruined your value.

As said, you'd already have the cool factor in the Youtube world by owning a wrangler period. 99.9% of Youtube subscribers have no idea what a 392 is and they see a Jeep as being a Jeep.

Build your Willys with cool stuff, save tons of money and enjoy the subscriptions while continuing to add to your fortune on the stock market.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
My take on it is you're buying the worst possible business tool. The Jeep doesn't make you anything, except initial interest.

A mixer turns dough that makes biscuits. A wrench turns a nut that builds a car. A hammer pounds a nail that builds a house. A 392 gets a "hey don't see one of those everyday" until you start seeing them everyday.

I see a white 392 at least a couple/few times a week in my commute. A nice looking blonde drives it. It's lost its "hey don't see one of those everyday" appeal, and I certainly wouldn't tune into a Youtube channel more than once because of the size of the engine. So, what does the 392 do for your viewers every time you post content. If it isn't 392-based, then it's Jeep-based, and you spent a lot more for the Jeep than you needed to spend. That Jeep is going to depreciate a lot faster than your wrenches and hammers, and in two or three years will have no staying power.

Don't buy a 392 because you think it's a business decision, unless your research is way different than other people's online opinions.

Also, if you want to make a bad "job" worse, tie yourself to a payment that is dependent on that job. If you're over the market now, just add a large car (or house, or anything else) payment to how well you do in the market. You'll hate "going to work" a lot more than you do now.
Sponsored