Sponsored

Must be a Jeep Thing!

Gray Fox

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Rubicon, 16 Mercedes Benz GLE 350 4Matic, 15 Honda Accord Sport, 12 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 Crew
Must be a Jeep Thing!

Let me start of by saying I have been buying new cars for over 40 years. We have always owned GM, German Luxury with a few Hondas sprinkled in for our kids/commuting. We have never owned a Chrysler product, nor has my family or my wife’s family, so like I said, it might be a Jeep (Chrysler) Thing. Never had anything like this happen.

For several years we had wanted a Wrangler, but mainly for a “mess around vehicle”. When my wife’s Benz lease was up she decided that instead of buying a used Jeep for an extra vehicle, she would order an ’18 JLUR and if we liked it in a few years we use it as our knock around/weekend vehicle.

The Jeep arrived in August. I was afraid she wouldn’t like it as a daily driver coming from the Benz. Well she loves the Jeep, but can’t get past the little “quirks”. Like I said, may be a Jeep Thing since I don’t know about Chrysler products.

Like I said we have had it since August and it has less than 4000 miles. The first quirk is with Apple CarPlay. She likes to use the USB in the console. She noticed CarPlay would just disconnect. She tried a different cable, same results. She thought there was something wrong with her phone so she bought a new one. Same thing. No rhyme or reason as to when it will disconnect. Now it does the same with the front USB.

The backup lines disappear randomly. You can restart and it may or may not come back on.

Now the new issue is with the Stop/Start feature. I started noting a few weeks ago (when I get to drive) that the Jeep would jerk forward when it started at a light. Last weekend we were in stop/go traffic on the interstate and it was stopping/starting like normal. Then it started and the idiot light came on and the auto start “stopped” working. After we arrived and restarted, everything reset. Yesterday my wife said it quit working and as of this writing, it hasn’t reset.

Like I said, is this a “Jeep Thing”? Are these quirks and others like them something we will have to “live” with (Jeep Thing) or is it unusual? Something I wouldn’t expect from a $58k+ vehicle.
Sponsored

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
I would bring it to the dealer to have them check everything out.

Also, you can't really expect a first year model to be bug free. With any cars, the first year models will always have issues that appear sooner or later.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not that is matters but it's not really a 58k vehicle. That is just the price the mfg sets it at so we all feel like it is. Same as the shoes we buy or the consumer electronics we buy. That is just what the mfg suggests it be sold for. You should of paid around 51k and also put some additional cash down to offset the 15% depreciation that it'll see when you drive it off the lot. I know it doesn't make it any better but vehicles are so overpriced these days it's getting pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

I would agree with above posts about scheduling service. What you are experiencing is not normal but with a first year vehicle there could be some expected issues.

It is nice that you have done some of the troubleshooting as far as the USB is concerned. That will definitely help. I would make sure you keep a record of the issues you are having and when. See if you can find a way to reproduce them when asked otherwise you might be in for a little disappointment when you take it in and they can't.

The dealer should be willing to give you a loaner but may not offer it. Ask about that if it's something that you may need.

Sponsored

Coopdeville

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Definitely have it checked. I haven’t had any of those problems, or any problems for that matter. Sounds like you have several electrical bugs. I’ve wanted a Jeep for a while and so I traded in my 16’ Yukon Denali with 30,000 miles on it. I know where you’re coming from though having had nicer vehicles as I also have a 17’ Escalade(granted it cost twice as much). You still shouldn’t be having those or any problems with a new vehicle but yes it is quit different than a Benz or Escalade.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I started noting a few weeks ago (when I get to drive) that the Jeep would jerk forward when it started at a light.
Turn off your hill start assist for this, it makes your ESS restarts much smoother.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Must be a Jeep Thing!

Let me start of by saying I have been buying new cars for over 40 years. We have always owned GM, German Luxury with a few Hondas sprinkled in for our kids/commuting. We have never owned a Chrysler product, nor has my family or my wife’s family, so like I said, it might be a Jeep (Chrysler) Thing. Never had anything like this happen.

For several years we had wanted a Wrangler, but mainly for a “mess around vehicle”. When my wife’s Benz lease was up she decided that instead of buying a used Jeep for an extra vehicle, she would order an ’18 JLUR and if we liked it in a few years we use it as our knock around/weekend vehicle.

The Jeep arrived in August. I was afraid she wouldn’t like it as a daily driver coming from the Benz. Well she loves the Jeep, but can’t get past the little “quirks”. Like I said, may be a Jeep Thing since I don’t know about Chrysler products.

Like I said we have had it since August and it has less than 4000 miles. The first quirk is with Apple CarPlay. She likes to use the USB in the console. She noticed CarPlay would just disconnect. She tried a different cable, same results. She thought there was something wrong with her phone so she bought a new one. Same thing. No rhyme or reason as to when it will disconnect. Now it does the same with the front USB.

The backup lines disappear randomly. You can restart and it may or may not come back on.

Now the new issue is with the Stop/Start feature. I started noting a few weeks ago (when I get to drive) that the Jeep would jerk forward when it started at a light. Last weekend we were in stop/go traffic on the interstate and it was stopping/starting like normal. Then it started and the idiot light came on and the auto start “stopped” working. After we arrived and restarted, everything reset. Yesterday my wife said it quit working and as of this writing, it hasn’t reset.

Like I said, is this a “Jeep Thing”? Are these quirks and others like them something we will have to “live” with (Jeep Thing) or is it unusual? Something I wouldn’t expect from a $58k+ vehicle.
There is a funny review on youtube where, at night on a steep downhill section of highway, with rain/snow mix, the entire electrical systems just stopped working. Now engine, no power brakes, no power steering... nothing.
They had to wait a few hours on the side of the road for Jeep to bring a new wrangler.
That... is classic Jeep quality.

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
Must be a Jeep Thing!

My backup lines disappear every once in a while... but they always reappear after the jeep sitting off for a few hours. The issue is well documented on this forum and seems to be purely software related/driver (pc driver) as it also happens with other Chrysler vehicles. I started noting the instances down and over time my software issues seem to be related the USB ports on the dash and inside the center console. I haven't had any related issues using the USBc on back of the center console towards the driver side.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
For the CarPlay issue I’ve found that if you do these in order no problems:

1. Start Jeep
2. Unlock the iPhone
3. Plug in cable and enjoy

Even when the iPhone is locked and connects via Bluetooth I’ve encountered freezes. Makes sense since the iPhone is trying to protect unauthorized connections.

Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Must be a Jeep Thing!

Several members and I have had issues starting from the start/stop that escalated. Some fixes have been replacing a vacuum pump to the throttle control. I’d take it in to the dealer and notify Jeep Wave or Jeep Cares to help coordinate.

Freddiejeep

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2.0
JLUR here - phone has never disconnected from car play. The lines are just a software glitch.

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
There is a funny review on youtube where, at night on a steep downhill section of highway, with rain/snow mix, the entire electrical systems just stopped working. Now engine, no power brakes, no power steering... nothing.
They had to wait a few hours on the side of the road for Jeep to bring a new wrangler.
That... is classic Jeep quality.
That's "classic" trolling... :clap: Good job! :like:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
As the others said, you've got something abnormal going on. Definitely not "a Jeep thing".
I would also recommend checking to assure the fuses are seated properly since you've got multiple issues, which could potentially be electrical. FWIW, my JL arrived July 5th and I've had no issues. Only 1 time did the ESS light turn on and say the system was unavailable. The light turned off and the system was back online later that day. I can only assume it was not meeting one of the many parameters which determine when ESS can/can't be used. Aside from that, I've not had a single issue, and I don't count that as an issue, because it would seem the system was working properly and monitoring itself well.
Sponsored