Not open for further replies.

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
While I'm waiting for my order of a new Sahara built to my specs I've been reading this forum extensively and trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible.
This will be my first domestic brand. I've had multiple Japanese and German cars and I must say you guys are incredible.
The level of tolerance for shit that goes wrong with these things is unbelievable.
How do you deal with it? How are you okay with all the issues? I'm still excited about getting mine by holy crap why these things have so many problems?
I hope mine is somehow trouble-free and as the saying goes those who are happy are less vocal than the others. But damn.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
They don't have "so many problems." Go on any automotive forum for any brand and you will find tons of threads about issues owners are facing.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Mine has no issues, will it? maybe.
When you get yours, you will understand, and you will either become a jeep guy, or you will sell it.
All vehicles have issues, it isn't wrangler specific, don't let that scare you.
You are more likely to get a trouble free one, than one with issues.
I legit cannot drive anything but a wrangler, this is my 3rd, and by far the greatest one built.

Wranglers make me happy, and life is to short to drive shit you don't want to be driving.
If it develops an issue, I will get it fixed under warranty, if it is out of warranty, I will bust out some tools.

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
Mine has no issues, will it? maybe.
When you get yours, you will understand, and you will either become a jeep guy, or you will sell it.
All vehicles have issues, it isn't wrangler specific, don't let that scare you.
You are more likely to get a trouble free one, than one with issues.
I legit cannot drive anything but a wrangler, this is my 3rd, and by far the greatest one built.

Wranglers make me happy, and life is to short to drive shit you don't want to be driving.
If it develops an issue, I will get it fixed under warranty, if it is out of warranty, I will bust out some tools.
I hope so.

I've been arround other forums and I don't remember steering issues and improperly welded frames and a 100 other little things.
Maybe I was lucky with my previous cars from

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
While I agree the forum isn’t representative of the general experience the one thing you can’t deny are the recalls. I have had shit cars. My Volvo had to have the engine replaced at 20k miles. My Aztek (don’t judge me) was bought back under Ohio lemon law). But my 2007 RDX only saw the dealer twice. Once to buy it. Once to trade it in. That was a year 1 new model too. My Infiniti. Never a problem since 2010.

But I’ve never owned or considered owning a car with sooooo many recalls yet I really want one and will just have to pray and hope it’s not a turd. My family has owned many Japanese and German cars. Never have I seen well we forgot to weld here or we put the wrong oil in, and so on and so on. My wife is getting a new RDX so at least we know we will have one car that works.

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Don't sweat it too much OP. I love my Jeep and haven't had any issues except for the recall, which I think will get sorted out just fine.

Worse case they give me a new Jeep with a better frame.

Even then, I'll get to start over again.

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Air bag and accelerator issues out of Japan in the last few years.....just to name 2.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Jeep sold thousands of JLs. You'll only see a handful of people with legitimate issues. Think about it, if there's a disgruntled customer, they're more likely to give negative feedback on a forum. But if you're happy and satisfied, you won't go out of your way to give positive feedback. It's in our nature, we don't want to go out of our way when it comes to positives, but we will go all out if we've had a negative experience. All in all, like a member said above, go to any automotive forum and you'll see the same.

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
While I'm waiting for my order of a new Sahara built to my specs I've been reading this forum extensively and trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible.
This will be my first domestic brand. I've had multiple Japanese and German cars and I must say you guys are incredible.
The level of tolerance for shit that goes wrong with these things is unbelievable.
How do you deal with it? How are you okay with all the issues? I'm still excited about getting mine by holy crap why these things have so many problems?
I hope mine is somehow trouble-free and as the saying goes those who are happy are less vocal than the others. But damn.

How do I deal with all the problems my JL isn’t having? No weld issues. No steering issues. No electrical issues. Sure, I just posted a little DIY on how to fix the spring mechanism in the seat latch...and that’s been my one “issue.” Yup, a little spring unseated itself and I had to fix it. And, come on, I’ve had my share of high-end foreign cars, they’ve all had problems. Every one. I’m convinced that one manufacturer’s quirkiness and eclectic nature is another’s poor quality and inattention to detail.

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
I hope you guys are right
I've had BMW's with minor annoyances.
I've had Toyotas and Lexus models with 0 problems. Still have a 2002 Land Cruiser in the family with 0 problems and 200K miles. Sure you go on any forum and read up little things especially in the first model year. But nowhere near the amount of posts and subforums and 50-page threads on crap falling apart
Usually any car has a certain weak spot a particular component that's it's known for to be weak. This is something else

Sponsored

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I've had Toyotas and Lexus models with 0 problems. Still have a 2002 Land Cruiser in the family with 0 problems and 200K miles. Sure you go on any forum and read up little things especially in the first model year. But nowhere near the amount of posts and subforums and 50-page threads on crap falling apart
Usually any car has a certain weak spot a particular component that's it's known for to be weak. This is something else
Frankly, it sounds like you're trolling.

I'm a big proponent of other makes besides FCA. I have 3 FCA vehicles....and two have been less than stellar in terms of reliability. Our new JLUR so far has been fine (only 900 miles on it though).

We also bought a 1st year model of the Subaru BRZ (at the time, Subaru was rated highest of all manufacturers in quality)....and guess what? Umpteen hundred pages on dedicated Subi and Scion FRS/BRZ forums about the CEL issue.

Every make can have recalls and problems.....No, Jeep isn't known to be super reliable. If that scares you....don't buy one. You'll miss out on the good things Jeeps offer, but that may not be a priority for you either. To each his own.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I’ve owned too many cars to count and all had issues in some form- even if it wasn’t the particular one I owned. Even the Hondas, Toyotas, subarus, etc. it happens. But when you see the issues here, I see that more because it’s a new model. My JKs had issues, but there was 10 years of board posts to wash it out. This model didn’t exist 10 months ago, so everyone with even minor questions will come on here to discuss.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Google "Toyota Tacoma issues." Hundreds of pages. And Tacomas don't bring in enthusiasts (who post tons more) like Jeeps do.

And comparing to a Land Cruiser? That's just unfair. That's literally the most reliable car in the world, massively over engineered. You're gonna get 300k with no prob. If I had $80k, I'd get one myself. That said, for that kinda money you can buy a second Jeep as back up for when your first goes down...

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere, Aprilia Tuono, BMW S1000XR
I agree with you that Wrangler owners seem to be much more tolerant than owners of other vehicles. As soon as you question reliability in a thread you are guaranteed to see the troll label within the first 10 responses. Why, I have no idea. Asking about reliability is a legitimate concern for many prospective buyers. I frequent many forums as well and this new JL does seem to have quite a bit higher than average numbers of issues.

In addition to the number of problems there are many owners that are unhappy with the responses by either their dealer, FCA, or both.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
I've had multiple Japanese and German cars and I must say you guys are incredible.
Not the smartest thing to buy a JL at this stage. Jeep/FCA screw up with the JL and buyers at this point are guinea-pigs. Get JK if you need a Wrangler or wait until the recalls slow down to like 1 a year from the 1 a week rate it's going at now.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.