First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for your advice. I'm definitely joining the Jeep family since this is the only 6MT SUV that's not a mall crossover.

Also, I really think you guys need to look up the term "trolling". I know it's a cool term and easy to pass around but it actually has a definition that I don't fall under in my posts.

For instance if I just posted you should have gotten a 4DR Rubicon, 2 door is a waste - that's trolling to say something like that with no basis and just a dumb opinion to get a rise out of you. Or you should have gotten painted fender flares because that cheap plastic will look like crap in 3 years in the sun - that's trolling because perhaps you got them like that in fear of rock chipping and scuffing, but I just posted it to get a rise out of you. Or something like, y'all are stupid, get a Toyota 4Runner instead like I did - that's trolling.

In my case, I'm simply voicing a legitimate concern of a future owner (ok, renter) who has spent day and night reading this forum and frankly got a little discouraged.

Yes I've had 3 BMW's, all within warranty periods and free loaners. I had minor annoyances such as falling window weather seal, squeaky brakes, malfunctioning HPFP and a blown speaker, that's about it. None of them exhibited life threatening behavior in the first 6-12 months of ownership like some of JL's according to other posters. I'm still reading that father's thread where he almost lost his son in the new JL due to infamous steering issues.

Anyway, great discussion, no harm done. Thanks everyone for participating.
I share every concern you have and I’ve owned 4 wranglers and a grand Cherokee so I’m no rookie to Jeep. I too have ordered a 2019 Jl rubicon and it really bothers me to read about all the problems. This is why I waited to get a 2019 and I’m still concerned. There are many more problems with the new JL than there were when the Jk cane out. I know since I ordered a new jk in 2007 and followed the forums them as well before it was delivered. To say you are a troll and there are not excessive problems with the Jl is simply BS. I know-this isn’t my first new Jeep and not my first forum so ignore some of these “experts” let’s hope we get a good one
Sponsored

DirtRoad1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU SPORT
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
I’m digging my new JL. I came from a 84 Jeep wagooner as my 4x4. I’ve had no issues with my JL at all. Bought August of 2018. I did buy the sport s unlimited because everyone wanted the rubicon (nothing against it but I’m always up for a challenge. lifted it, big tires, and all the cool stuff aftermarket companies make I’ve got some.... I’ve been on easy, moderate trails without a problem. All vehicles are gonna have issues no matter what. Im a Diesel Mechanic so I’m very well rounded with a wrench and mechanical knowledge. Any issue that arises will be delt with by warranty, recall warranty or giving me a new one or by me fixing and replacing what I need to. Until that happens I’m gonna enjoy my Jeep drive it daily, trail it on the weekends that’s what Jeeps are for.

71BD5D39-F3F8-41B2-8D0A-6A8D48B1C8D0.jpeg

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm starting to notice the people that seem to complain are Jeep newbies. I have a feeling they bought a jeep more for the cool factor than buying a jeep for what it can actually do. Nothing wrong with that. But these are the same people who honestly could get by with a 4x4 Ford Explorer or Subaru Forester lol.
I'm sure there are a lot of new owners, but there are a lot of previous Wrangler owners that say "this is my 3rd Wrangler" or "this is my 5th Jeep", etc. on the JL forum and have a JL complaint. Here is just one example: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-120#post-397100 You can find many more within the full thread at: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
People on here saying there aren’t problems either got really lucky, are in denial, or are just used to owning Jeeps and don’t know any better (or maybe all of the above). My wife’s car is currently a Lexus RX we bought new in 2013. Only problem we’ve had with it since purchase is absolutely nothing. Not one problem at all in any way!

I’ve had the JL since February and have had several problems, including buttons not working, UConnect going crazy fluctuating between stations/ interface tabs/volume levels, to just yesterday my auto start stop malfunctions and I could not accelerate while in drive at a stop light. I had to put it in park, turn the engine off, turn it back on and then go....missing the light and receiving a hard horn from behind in the meantime.

So far, none of the problems have been major.....and frankly, as long as the engine works and I’m never stranded, it will be worth it to have such a unique and fun vehicle. But, aside from a Wrangler, there is no way I would ever buy a Jeep product again when there are clearly better brands out there. I’ve had more problems (I’ll be it relatively minor ones) in half a year with my JL than I had in my last 4 vehicles combined at the same point (or even after). Jeep continually gets the worst reliability ratings and it shows. The good news is, that does not mean it has engine problems, and that’s probably a big enough distinction to keep Jeep customers happy (enough).

Sponsored

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
People on here saying there aren’t problems either got really lucky, are in denial, or are just used to owning Jeeps and don’t know any better (or maybe all of the above)
Precisely right. Suggesting I learn how to wrench a 50K brand new vehicle is not an option. Wrangler is no longer 20K truck. FCA wants to charge this kinda money then they're gonna attract my type of people. We whine complain and have really awesome bulletproof cars experience to compare Wrangler to. FCA needs to shape up

Mojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am a first time Wrangler owner. I waited til the end of the 2018 production run before I ordered my JLUR in hopes to avoid any major flaws. I've never avoided the "first model year" and of course it carries a certain risk but also carries early rewards. I bought the first model year Subaru WRX, Lexus IS350, Chevrolet Trailblazer, Dodge Durango in recent history. 100k - 200k on each of those cars with no concerning issues. The durango had a failing fuel pump relay at 70k but I fixed it the following day. Drove the trailblazer to 200k and towed many trailers with 0 issues. The WRX was modded and raced and was also my DD without issue. I also had 2 BMW M3s (e46 and e92) and Ioved both. The e92 had throttle actuator and secondary air issues all of which I fixed myself because BMW dealers are worthless and a ripoff. My most recent car was a GT-R, it had some "its a GT-R quirks" that GT-R owners accept, very much like the Wrangler in some ways. Mine had over 1100whp and when you put the pedal down all of those quirks just went away. My last truck was a Toyota Tundra you know "awarded the most reliable truck right?" well it developed a cam tower oil leak which many people have had. The reality is that we drive mechanical machines and none are failure-proof.

I will say that I have a friend who has a JL and he has the Apple Car Play issue i've read about. I cant say I have that issue because I use Android Auto and it works just fine. The only issue I had with my JLUR is slightly loose steering. I spent 30 minutes checking all my nuts and bolts in the front end (everything was fine). I spent 15 minutes adjusting the steering box and now its perfect. It was never a "safety concern" for me, it was just a little slack in the middle like my dads old chevy. Sure you have to pay closer attention to the road when theres some play but honestly you shouldn't be doing anything on the road but driving anyway.

I will say that the loose steering at this point "could be" classified as the only real wide spread issue. Some of the issues listed here exist with a very small percentage of owners in comparison to unit sold. I love my JL and its been a lot of fun and as of right now I have 0 issues. In most cases the issues being reported are resolvable. I dont necessarily agree with the way some dealers are handling the complaints but I turn wrenches and get it done so it doesn't affect me. My buddy above has loose steering and I will be adjusting his out soon. Id do it for free for anyone in my area that needed it done.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
People on here saying there aren’t problems either got really lucky, are in denial, or are just used to owning Jeeps and don’t know any better (or maybe all of the above). My wife’s car is currently a Lexus RX we bought new in 2013. Only problem we’ve had with it since purchase is absolutely nothing. Not one problem at all in any way!

I’ve had the JL since February and have had several problems, including buttons not working, UConnect going crazy fluctuating between stations/ interface tabs/volume levels, to just yesterday my auto start stop malfunctions and I could not accelerate while in drive at a stop light. I had to put it in park, turn the engine off, turn it back on and then go....missing the light and receiving a hard horn from behind in the meantime.

So far, none of the problems have been major.....and frankly, as long as the engine works and I’m never stranded, it will be worth it to have such a unique and fun vehicle. But, aside from a Wrangler, there is no way I would ever buy a Jeep product again when there are clearly better brands out there. I’ve had more problems (I’ll be it relatively minor ones) in half a year with my JL than I had in my last 4 vehicles combined at the same point (or even after). Jeep continually gets the worst reliability ratings and it shows. The good news is, that does not mean it has engine problems, and that’s probably a big enough distinction to keep Jeep customers happy (enough).
I had only 1 or 2 minor problems on previous recent vehicles that I've owned. I had a JK a long time ago, had friends that had Wranglers over the years and I had seen the customer satisfaction ranking for Jeeps remain near the bottom for years, so I knew what I was getting into and expected to have to go to the dealership more often for repairs. But I felt it would be worth it for the ability to go off roading, making mods to it, etc. I even bought a life time warranty for "peace of mind". But what I didn't expect was the piss poor dealership service department attitudes, lies and lack of knowledge. And on top of that, FCA, Jeep Wave, Jeep Cares not helping at all - no return calls, nothing. Telling me there is nothing wrong at 2 dealerships - one refused to even drive it, took it to a 3rd dealership who drove it for one block and said it was too dangerous to drive and gave me a loaner while they worked on it. Then they gave it back, said sorry, it still doesn't drive right but because everything is in spec we can't touch it under warranty. I offered to pay to fix it and they made other excuses.

Then I read MANY other similar dealership experiences on this forum so at least I could say it wasn't bad luck on my part. Many of which said the dealerships didn't know about TSBs, or even never heard of the steering problems, welding problems, etc. C'mon man, you WORK for Jeep how on earth can you NOT know? I dropped off a friend at Toyota to pick up her car and one of the Toyota service guys said "nice Jeep. Do you have the steering problems like so many do?" I about lost it and wanted to drive over to the Jeep dealership and scream. The Jeep dealership I bought it from had argued with me that there are no JL steering problems even though there is a TSB on it! One dealership I brought it to for the steering problems told me they checked the torque on the ball joints, lying to my face. I know because A) they never took it into a bay B) the cotter pins were still factory bent C) another dealership checked it and showed me how loose they were. WTF, are they stupid, lazy, don't care or what?

Yes, I went into each of the dealerships first without telling them I know what the fix was because I know most people have a pride issue and don't like to be told what the fix is, which usually results in them digging their heels in (don't piss off your waitress scenario). Then after they say they can't fix it, I share the information that leads to a fix and they still cop an attitude. I think I need to send a box of condoms to each of those dealerships with a note that says "Please give these to your techs, service advisors and service manager. They are too stupid and we don't want them passing on their bad attitudes and stupidity through propagation."

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
Dealerships is a huge part of it. They're no longer selling 18K cars to special finance folks only.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Dealerships is a huge part of it. They're no longer selling 18K cars to special finance folks only.
True, but you get better attitudes, service knowledge and expertise from a $18K Kia purchase / service department than you do a $50K Jeep / FCA purchase / service department. Something's wrong to be that low on the customer satisfaction list for THAT long. Corporate heads need to roll to fix it. New Jeep motto should be "Yeah, it breaks down more often, but our service departments are #1" not "Yeah, it breaks down more often, AND our service departments suck too!"

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ion/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

consumerreports.jpg

Sponsored

Mojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Dont buy any extended warranties, most dealers are the same (worthless) no matter the brand unless you know someone at the dealership and the sales side is usually not a reflection of their service side. At least thats been my experience at Lexus, Honda, Jeep, Chevy, BMW dealers when I've had to go.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Precisely right. Suggesting I learn how to wrench a 50K brand new vehicle is not an option. Wrangler is no longer 20K truck. FCA wants to charge this kinda money then they're gonna attract my type of people. We whine complain and have really awesome bulletproof cars experience to compare Wrangler to. FCA needs to shape up
"My type of people"? Just wow.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I had only 1 or 2 minor problems on previous recent vehicles that I've owned. I had a JK a long time ago, had friends that had Wranglers over the years and I had seen the customer satisfaction ranking for Jeeps remain near the bottom for years, so I knew what I was getting into and expected to have to go to the dealership more often for repairs. But I felt it would be worth it for the ability to go off roading, making mods to it, etc. I even bought a life time warranty for "peace of mind". But what I didn't expect was the piss poor dealership service department attitudes, lies and lack of knowledge. And on top of that, FCA, Jeep Wave, Jeep Cares not helping at all - no return calls, nothing. Telling me there is nothing wrong at 2 dealerships - one refused to even drive it, took it to a 3rd dealership who drove it for one block and said it was too dangerous to drive and gave me a loaner while they worked on it. Then they gave it back, said sorry, it still doesn't drive right but because everything is in spec we can't touch it under warranty. I offered to pay to fix it and they made other excuses.

Then I read MANY other similar dealership experiences on this forum so at least I could say it wasn't bad luck on my part. Many of which said the dealerships didn't know about TSBs, or even never heard of the steering problems, welding problems, etc. C'mon man, you WORK for Jeep how on earth can you NOT know? I dropped off a friend at Toyota to pick up her car and one of the Toyota service guys said "nice Jeep. Do you have the steering problems like so many do?" I about lost it and wanted to drive over to the Jeep dealership and scream. The Jeep dealership I bought it from had argued with me that there are no JL steering problems even though there is a TSB on it! One dealership I brought it to for the steering problems told me they checked the torque on the ball joints, lying to my face. I know because A) they never took it into a bay B) the cotter pins were still factory bent C) another dealership checked it and showed me how loose they were. WTF, are they stupid, lazy, don't care or what?

Yes, I went into each of the dealerships first without telling them I know what the fix was because I know most people have a pride issue and don't like to be told what the fix is, which usually results in them digging their heels in (don't piss off your waitress scenario). Then after they say they can't fix it, I share the information that leads to a fix and they still cop an attitude. I think I need to send a box of condoms to each of those dealerships with a note that says "Please give these to your techs, service advisors and service manager. They are too stupid and we don't want them passing on their bad attitudes and stupidity through propagation."
JFYI...you can check the balljoints for tightness with a 22mm wrench IIRC....no need to pull the cotter. The problem is the torque spec is ridiculously light on these aluminum knuckles. You could put a crow's foot on if one wanted an actual torque number.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
JFYI...you can check the balljoints for tightness with a 22mm wrench IIRC....no need to pull the cotter. The problem is the torque spec is ridiculously light on these aluminum knuckles. You could put a crow's foot on if one wanted an actual torque number.
Yes, I know. I brought mine to the dealer first like you are supposed to so they could do THEIR jobs instead of me doing it for them.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.