Not open for further replies.

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
I'm starting to notice the people that seem to complain are Jeep newbies. I have a feeling they bought a jeep more for the cool factor than buying a jeep for what it can actually do. Nothing wrong with that. But these are the same people who honestly could get by with a 4x4 Ford Explorer or Subaru Forester lol.
Of course people buy a Jeep for the cool factor. Big tires, jacked up, high fenders, top down, two doors, stick shift...it's awesome!
Sponsored

Reactions: TMP

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Of course people buy a Jeep for the cool factor. Big tires, jacked up, high fenders, top down, two doors, stick shift...it's awesome!
I know, but now do you put all that stuff to use is the bigger question.

I'm just saying a lot of post I've been seeing are people complaining about the noise, the comfort, insulation, blah blah. I just think they are expecting to the Wrangler to run like a Buick or Cadillac.

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission

I'm just saying a lot of post I've been seeing are people complaining about the noise, the comfort, insulation, blah blah. I just think they are expecting to the Wrangler to run like a Buick or Cadillac.
Of course I put it to use, I use it to make me happy every day!

lsp408

First Name
Li
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUS
I can tolerate issues with Jeep. I understand things happened. However, Some dealership customer service is unacceptable, then they have the nerve to ask for 10/10 rating on survey.

ShaunTheJeep

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2D JL Rubicon

It's in our nature, we don't want to go out of our way when it comes to positives, but we will go all out if we've had a negative experience. All in all, like a member said above, go to any automotive forum and you'll see the same.
Not only that, but I'm not here to read about another happy person operating trouble-free. When I'm here I want to learn something. I would not want to read thru 100,000 non-problems to find something useful. I want to see what someone else had to go thru so if it happens to me I will have read about it before. I'm not a car guy, yet I looked at my frame welds and compared them to the pics out here. Mine look like the "good" picture, so I moved on. If there's ever a problem, I've learned and at least have a clue. Or it could be offroad tips, or how to work something.
I hope you guys are right
I've had BMW's with minor annoyances. Still have a 2002 Land Cruiser in the family with 0 problems and 200K miles. Sure you go on any forum and read up little things especially in the first model year. But nowhere near the amount of posts and subforums and 50-page threads on crap falling apart. This is something else
Heh if you've had a BMW with only minor annoyances then I'm pretty sure you're just trolling. Most expensive car ever with sensors that failed constantly. Still loved it. :) Your repetitive reiterating that Jeeps are in some way more prone to "falling apart" is not useful or true. Enjoy your land cruiser... Or come join the Jeep family and have fun.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i

Not only that, but I'm not here to read about another happy person operating trouble-free. When I'm here I want to learn something. I would not want to read thru 100,000 non-problems to find something useful. I want to see what someone else had to go thru so if it happens to me I will have read about it before. I'm not a car guy, yet I looked at my frame welds and compared them to the pics out here. Mine look like the "good" picture, so I moved on. If there's ever a problem, I've learned and at least have a clue. Or it could be offroad tips, or how to work something.

Heh if you've had a BMW with only minor annoyances then I'm pretty sure you're just trolling. Most expensive car ever with sensors that failed constantly. Still loved it. :) Your repetitive reiterating that Jeeps are in some way more prone to "falling apart" is not useful or true. Enjoy your land cruiser... Or come join the Jeep family and have fun.
Thanks for your advice. I'm definitely joining the Jeep family since this is the only 6MT SUV that's not a mall crossover.

Also, I really think you guys need to look up the term "trolling". I know it's a cool term and easy to pass around but it actually has a definition that I don't fall under in my posts.

For instance if I just posted you should have gotten a 4DR Rubicon, 2 door is a waste - that's trolling to say something like that with no basis and just a dumb opinion to get a rise out of you. Or you should have gotten painted fender flares because that cheap plastic will look like crap in 3 years in the sun - that's trolling because perhaps you got them like that in fear of rock chipping and scuffing, but I just posted it to get a rise out of you. Or something like, y'all are stupid, get a Toyota 4Runner instead like I did - that's trolling.

In my case, I'm simply voicing a legitimate concern of a future owner (ok, renter) who has spent day and night reading this forum and frankly got a little discouraged.

Yes I've had 3 BMW's, all within warranty periods and free loaners. I had minor annoyances such as falling window weather seal, squeaky brakes, malfunctioning HPFP and a blown speaker, that's about it. None of them exhibited life threatening behavior in the first 6-12 months of ownership like some of JL's according to other posters. I'm still reading that father's thread where he almost lost his son in the new JL due to infamous steering issues.

Anyway, great discussion, no harm done. Thanks everyone for participating.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I'll just leave this here:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/troll

troll

verb
trolled; trolling; trolls
Definition of troll (Entry 2 of 3)

: to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content

No need to quote your inflammatory comments about Jeep quality again....

Let us know when you actually buy/lease one. ;)

AK0311

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me: 17 Renegade, Wife: 12 Journey, Kids: 09 Avenger Want: JLUR
Occupation
Retired

I worked for a few months selling used cars once. I remember a test drive of an OBS F-350. After the drive the guy and his wife both complained of the "truck like" ride and noise. My answer was "then go look at a new F-150 or get a car. F-350's are meant to work and ride as such". Didn't get a sale on that one.

I currently drive a Ram 2500. Noise and ride comfort are not why I'm ordering a Wrangler (Rubicon Unlimited). I'm replacing my truck I no longer need (I don't tow much at the moment and won't for about the next 10 years and I don't need the bed space any longer as I don't work) and I am also replacing a 4 wheeler and a SxS with one 4 door Jeep. It will be my daily driver to appointments and my hunting & camping rig (the ATV trails I use now are big enough to fit my Mega Cab if I put a lift on it). I've ridden in several Jeeps with friends and family over the years and can't wait to get mine. I just need to weld a step onto the rock rails for my handicapped butt to get in/out.

Lobstah_JLUR

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
While I agree the forum isn’t representative of the general experience the one thing you can’t deny are the recalls. I have had shit cars. My Volvo had to have the engine replaced at 20k miles. My Aztek (don’t judge me) was bought back under Ohio lemon law). But my 2007 RDX only saw the dealer twice. Once to buy it. Once to trade it in. That was a year 1 new model too. My Infiniti. Never a problem since 2010.

But I’ve never owned or considered owning a car with sooooo many recalls yet I really want one and will just have to pray and hope it’s not a turd. My family has owned many Japanese and German cars. Never have I seen well we forgot to weld here or we put the wrong oil in, and so on and so on. My wife is getting a new RDX so at least we know we will have one car that works.

Based on published recall rates, your about as likely to have a recall on the Honda as you are on the Jeep.

Sponsored

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
For the OP - it's all relative. My new 2017 Mazda CX-5 had to get a free total repaint because of a kn7own chipping issue with this "special" paint color I paid extra for. So I was more than happy to trade that puppy in for my 2018 JL Sahara the day after I got it back from Mazda.

I don't think there's any more problems with Jeep than any other, but the part of your "It's a jeep thing" reminds me of some of the comments last spring about the steering wheel issues - "Have you EVER driven a Jeep before?" For *that* aspect of your post, yes, there's definitely some people who just think that's how it is. Steering was a big issue that way. Wrangler owners kept saying, "That's how it is, you want better, buy a car." Which to a degree is true, but the frustration for me was the outright ignoring of a real valid issue. Yes, a Wrangler drives differently and steering is different. Doesn't mean there can't be a real problem though. Those are the eye rolling type of things for me. You can't blame some things on "first time Jeep owner" syndrome. I've seen some in the various Jeep forums treat every complaint that way. Some are, but not all. So I always take those comments with a grain of salt...

My jeep has the same issue my '14 and '15 KL's had - real issues locking the vehicle with the button on the door with the passive entry system, and an inability for the 8.4" entertainment system to pick up the plugged in iPod that was playing 3 minutes ago when I shut off the car.

But despite these things that just seem to persist in their product line for years, I still find it worthwhile. I've had 18 new cars in the last 23 years, and there's only two manufacturers I repleated - Mazda (had two, and that CX-5 made sure that won't happen again) and Jeep. This 2019 JL is my 5th jeep. '99 WJ, '01 WJ, and the two aforementioned KL's a few years ago. There's no doubt there's something that keeps bringing me back to them despite the annoyances.

The Mazda I just dumped was absolutely the most silent car I've ever driven. The lack of wind noise and how well it was soundproofed was just astounding. So this wrangler is a huge step in the other direction for me. But it's the price I pay to get back into some summertime off roading again, and to be able to take the top and doors off in the summer...

The anticipation should help build up a real appreciation when you get it. I drove both the Cherokee limited as well as the JL, and the differences in noise and comfort were minimal compared to previous wranglers I've driven, so for me the inconveniences of a wrangler as the daily driver is well worth the benefits of it... Hopefully you will have that same experience!

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I worked for a few months selling used cars once. I remember a test drive of an OBS F-350. After the drive the guy and his wife both complained of the "truck like" ride and noise. My answer was "then go look at a new F-150 or get a car. F-350's are meant to work and ride as such". Didn't get a sale on that one.

I currently drive a Ram 2500. Noise and ride comfort are not why I'm ordering a Wrangler (Rubicon Unlimited). I'm replacing my truck I no longer need (I don't tow much at the moment and won't for about the next 10 years and I don't need the bed space any longer as I don't work) and I am also replacing a 4 wheeler and a SxS with one 4 door Jeep. It will be my daily driver to appointments and my hunting & camping rig (the ATV trails I use now are big enough to fit my Mega Cab if I put a lift on it). I've ridden in several Jeeps with friends and family over the years and can't wait to get mine. I just need to weld a step onto the rock rails for my handicapped butt to get in/out.
You and I did similar things. I sold my 2500HD 4x4 diesel for the Jeep. I no longer tow our RV and I have a small trailer for the rate occasions I need to carry something big. This jeep will take my family of 4 to trails, campsites,and beach in one nice package.

JohnP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 Yukon Denali, 2006 F350, 2006 AMG CLK55
Occupation
Troublemaker
But nowhere near the amount of posts and subforums and 50-page threads on crap falling apart
Usually any car has a certain weak spot a particular component that's it's known for to be weak. This is something else
I think this is more of an observation about the participants of the forums than the vehicles being discussed. My take is that the members here are far more open and detail oriented than anywhere else.

For example, I've owned multiple Mercedes and whenever I go looking for information about little things that go wrong I can rarely find many discussions about it. I attribute this more to the owners, who simply take the issue in to have it resolved and move on. Those buyers are not as fanatical (in a good way)... It's just a car.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I think this is more of an observation about the participants of the forums than the vehicles being discussed. My take is that the members here are far more open and detail oriented than anywhere else.

For example, I've owned multiple Mercedes and whenever I go looking for information about little things that go wrong I can rarely find many discussions about it. I attribute this more to the owners, who simply take the issue in to have it resolved and move on. Those buyers are not as fanatical (in a good way)... It's just a car.
That’s kind of a good point. It’s often why you see “luxury” brands separated on these sort of reports. Those that are willing to spend that much on a car are not going to forums to discuss and complain. They drive in and have someone fix it. If they don’t like the constant fixing, they buy another vehicle. It’s not an elitist thing, just part of that buying demographic.

So someone says “but you spend a ton on a Jeep too...!” Yes. However, the standard Jeep buyer is looking to customize. This means these buyers are often more hands on. We have more functionality questions/concerns and we look to these boards to advice and inspiration. With that comes posts and sometimes complaints.

I just find that certain people shouldn’t buy a Jeep. Perfectionists are setting themselves up for a letdown and the internet provides too many outlets to find a complaint companion.

Timelylight

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara I4 Turbo, 2017 Ram 1500 Single Cab Shorty 5.7 8sp 392 gears, 1997 C10 Single Cab Shorty V6 5sp
We have had more issues with our JLU Sahara than all other new vehicles we've bought combined minus a 2012 Silverado that was an absolute nightmare from dealership to GMs top DOGS in Michigan. The sum of all other new vehicle issues is zero and all are from domestic manufactures, 12 total vehicles for our family since 2006. 1st the JLU was Rock chipped, that spread immediately across the windshield, at 200 miles, our 2014 JKUSS Amp'd paint no such issue or any issues, no recalls no repairs etc. (my trading it against my wife's wishes was a mistake and is why I no longer have my Challenger R/T Shaker and she has her Wrangler, but I did get a boat out of it) 2nd all kinds of weirdness from radio that with time has worked itself out as online info from FCA had indicated it would. 3rd, last, and really the most concerning, the front suspension was toed out and walked all over the road like a drunk was driving, we missed this on the 4 block low speed test drive as it was a first kiss and no wart is ever evident on your first kiss. I found in this forum many were having the same experience and that it was from the transport driver cranking the tie downs to much, this has to have bent suspension components to have altered the tires direction! This makes me spitting made because it is so unnecessary and can be so dangerous as well as have long term consequences. I adjusted the toe in and all is well, at least for now. Unless you are confident that you can adjust the toe and have done so previously DON'T, take it to your dealership. I performed my first front end alignment in the 1970s when tires were still made out of stone and were square. Blessings & enjoy the heck out of your new Wrangler
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.