Sponsored

Maximus 3 Tow Loops

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Attacked this yesterday, what a pain in the butt. Most of my problems came from my aftermarket ACE bumper. This thing does not line up right and it was very difficult to get on the first time. Due to the way the bumper comes back around on the sides, I had to remove it and all the wiring to be able to drill through.

First thing I noticed when I opened the bag of parts from Maximus 3 was that I did not have the sleeves seen in the picture someone else posted. I called Joe and he said that they no longer use those and it was a test. Secondly, the bolt that goes through the threaded hole that you drill out is the same hole on the other side of the frame that my winch mount attaches to. I thought about just drilling out the outside threads and then pushing the bolt through and threading it on the winch mount side. I still think that would have worked, but Joe suggested drilling the entire thing out and if I was going to do that, I should just put a 1/2" bolt in there. Made sense to me as this would also make the winch mount stronger.

The drilling of the holes was not that difficult, really only takes a few minutes if you step it up correctly. I used two smaller drill bits before putting the 1/2" bit into the hole and that really worked well. The problem with drilling out the middle hole to 1/2" is that the tow loop bracket hole was not 1/2"!!! I had to pull it off and put it into a vice and try to ream out the slot, this is tougher because it is not a hole that you can easily keep the drill bit in. The good news is it did not take much to pull off the powder coating and make the hole a bit bigger.

Another problem is the top bolt sits too close to the top of the bracket. I had to file that down and hammer the bolt in to get it to clear the top of the bracket. I drilled this dead on so it was not a mistake on my end. That bolt is very difficult to get an allen wrench to once the bumper is on. The only one I had that big was on a T handle and would not fit. Fortunately, I had one on a socket, but be warned...

So, if you are going to drill all the way through and have a similar winch plate you will need a 1/2"-13 X 6" bolt. If you don't you can get away with the 5" pictured below. The 6" was too long and the 5" did not give me enough threads to be comfortable with. Not sure if they make a 5 1/2", all I had laying around was the 5 and 6. (I have a Lowe's type selection of bolts in my garage, over 1,000!).

The majority of my time was spent jacking around with the bumper trying to get everything to line back up again. I would say that if you had a stock bumper you could probably do this in one to two hours including taking the bumper off.

Also glam shot of two of my Jeeps in Sand Hollow earlier this year, it shows the front bumper and how it comes around the side.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_6834.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_6833.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_6835.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_6836.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_6284.JPG
Sponsored

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Mine is not as pretty as Lightsout but it should be robust. I elected to drill through both sides of the frame & nut on the outside for the extra frame tie in bolt. I used 3.5"x.5" cap bolts and no trimming of the length was required. It left plenty of clearance to bolt up the studs on my bumper. I did end up using 2 spacers per loop (not stacked) but one with the new 1/2" cap bolt & one a couple inches lower to space out even from top to bottom. Red locktite but no finish paint job.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops thumbnail_IMG_1339

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops thumbnail_IMG_1340

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops thumbnail_IMG_1341

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops thumbnail_IMG_1342

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Mine is not as pretty as Lightsout but it should be robust. I elected to drill through both sides of the frame & nut on the outside for the extra frame tie in bolt. I used 3.5"x.5" cap bolts and no trimming of the length was required. It left plenty of clearance to bolt up the studs on my bumper. I did end up using 2 spacers per loop (not stacked) but one with the new 1/2" cap bolt & one a couple inches lower to space out even from top to bottom. Red locktite but no finish paint job.

thumbnail_IMG_1340.jpg

Did you not use the Bumper tie in bracket on the outside? That is what I was referring to possibly being a clearance problem for thu bolting the added frame bolt. That bracket will also add some balance to the bumper plate since the maximus loop mirros it on the inside.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_0915

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Did you not use the Bumper tie in bracket on the outside? That is what I was referring to possibly being a clearance problem for thu bolting the added frame bolt. That bracket will also add some balance to the bumper plate since the maximus loop mirros it on the inside.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_0915
The outer brackets do fit...sort of. I had to add a washer to make it clear the extra bolt (nut) I added

thumbnail_IMG_1345.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1346.jpg

Sponsored

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Is the gap pictured a problem?
Sorry for the late reply Gaffer I must have missed your post. Yes you need a spacer between the loop and the frame plate. Your Maximus tow loops should have come with them (4). I got all new hardware when they sent me the 3/4" loops so I had 8 spacers. I used all 8. Four where you are showing and the others spacing another gap. In pic below you can see I pre stuck the spacers to the loop so they stay there until bumper studs get pushed through.

drilled out tow loop.jpg

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The outer brackets do fit...sort of. I had to add a washer to make it clear the extra bolt (nut) I added

thumbnail_IMG_1345.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1346.jpg
In retrospect if I had it to do over again I would drill through like you did and thru bolt, it is easier and I could easily remove the loops without having to remove my bumper. Great job. When I went to Ace to buy the bolts I did also buy 5" along with my shorter for the in-frame option. When I got home I reaslized I left the two log bolts at Ace so I went with my original plan. No way I am taking that bumper off again with the winch and all the lighting and braking system integrated.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
In retrospect if I had it to do over again I would drill through like you did and thru bolt, it is easier and I could easily remove the loops without having to remove my bumper. Great job. When I went to Ace to buy the bolts I did also buy 5" along with my shorter for the in-frame option. When I got home I reaslized I left the two log bolts at Ace so I went with my original plan. No way I am taking that bumper off again with the winch and all the lighting and braking system integrated.
Thank you for your many tips especially the addition of the extra frame bolt.

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
With stock non Rubi suspension, could someone give me the distance from the center of the tow loop hole to the ground? Please include your tire size.
Thanks

Sponsored

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Did anybody receive printed instructions for the Tie In Brace Plates?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Did anybody receive printed instructions for the Tie In Brace Plates?
No but it is self explanitory they both fit between the horn and the frame. the larger goes on the side of the tow loop.

My tow loops I moved to the inside of the frame. Below is the tie in bracket for the tow loop side.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_0873

Below is the smaller bracket on the outside of the (non tow loop side of the frame

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_0883

Note I also drilled through the loop annd the frame for a 2nd frame thru-bolts

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops 2nd frame bolt

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Thank you....I was prepared to just go by all the photos posted in the thread, if instructions weren't available. I appreciate all the input everyone has added here.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the size of the 2nd frame tie in cap head bolt?
Thank you!!
Sponsored