Maximus 3 Tow Loops

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2022 JLU Sport S
Has anyone installed the Maximus 3 Tow Loops on a 2022 JLU yet? I don't think there would be a problem, but you never know if Jeep decided to move a bumper attachment bolt hole or something like that...
Sponsored

slapshot12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
I had to remove part of the bumper mount (on the frame side) on my ‘21 High Altitude. Once that was out of the way, they went right on.

FloridaSon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Altitude order 2/4/22 Gupton 3/31 home 4/16.
@Alan_Hepburn
Wondering what you decided re the Maximus-3 tow loops? I am going through the same set up. Thanks

OP
OP
Alan_Hepburn

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2022 JLU Sport S
I'm still trying to decide if we want to go Maximus 3 or do a bumper swap like I did on my Gladiator. The wife says she likes the OEM bumper but I want to wait and see how the Gladiator tows behind the motorhome before I start spending money on the Wrangler.

Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
DO NOT BUY These.

Let me explain in detail.

I purchased the Maximus 3 tow hooks for flat towing my JLUR. I have towed it over 10k miles since setup in 2020.

I saw on another forum where a user that was also flat towing with these had developed a crack in the frame, shown here:
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_20190817_130455

He then removed the bumper to address the problem, and this is what he found hidden behind:

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops 20220326_082857

I immediately had @rustyshakelford look at mine, and I have a much worse crack showing on both sides.

It is going to be a lot of work to tear mine down, as I have a warn winch installed as well.

This product is very dangerous, and not engineered for towing. There are several users that are in communication that all have the same issue. I am filing an NHTSA report once I get all of the pictures in an effort to ensure everyone's safety.

All tow base plates for the jeep have provisions to tie the force of each side together. A hard pull on the driver side would in turn pull the passenger side towards driver, and vice versa.

Maximus 3 is not designed that way. They are attached to the frame ends independently of each other. What's worse, they do not clamp around the frame end on each side, but rather use a very small bolt and washer as a pass thru.

DO not flat tow with a Maximus 3 tow system. This product is dangerous.

keg392

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR 392 XR
DO NOT BUY These.

I purchased the Maximus 3 tow hooks for flat towing my JLUR. I have towed it over 10k miles since setup in 2020.

I saw on another forum where a user that was also flat towing with these had developed a crack in the frame, shown here:

He then removed the bumper to address the problem, and this is what he found hidden behind:

I immediately had @rustyshakelford look at mine, and I have a much worse crack showing on both sides.

It is going to be a lot of work to tear mine down, as I have a warn winch installed as well.

This product is very dangerous, and not engineered for towing. There are several users that are in communication that all have the same issue. I am filing an NHTSA report once I get all of the pictures in an effort to ensure everyone's safety.

All tow base plates for the jeep have provisions to tie the force of each side together. A hard pull on the driver side would in turn pull the passenger side towards driver, and vice versa.

Maximus 3 is not designed that way. They are attached to the frame ends independently of each other. What's worse, they do not clamp around the frame end on each side, but rather use a very small bolt and washer as a pass thru.

Woah

2drSportOC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door sport
I have a set of these but have not installed yet. @Redbaron73 have you been in contact with Maximus3 for a response about their product? Hopefully they will weigh in here...

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a set of these but have not installed yet. @Redbaron73 have you been in contact with Maximus3 for a response about their product? Hopefully they will weigh in here...
I have talked with them multiple times about another issue I am having relating to Death wobble. I have their GeoLift system and discovered the cause of my death wobble is failure of their bracket that relocates the upper and lower control arms on the frame mount. This is flexing and creating another very dangerous situation.

Right now MY*JLUR is at Brett's shop, where I took it for diagnosis. He is going to be doing the tear down. Once i see just how bad the damage is and have photos of my jeep, I will reach out to them to see how they will respond. Its premature for me to contact them since I don't have the same pictures of my personal jeep as shown above. I know the owner of the jeep that I posted pictures has reached out, as have several others with similar failures. It is safe to say Maximus 3 is very aware of the problem, but I have not spoken to them myself...yet.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
DO NOT BUY These.

Well that's concerning... I should probably check the frame now.

@Maximus-3 any comments?

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One of the guys reporting the problem of cracked frame really wanted to keep his, so he came up with a solution to fix the engineering flaw. The idea is to ensure that the forces are distributed between the two frame connections. I don't know if this will work long term. He did a complete tear down, rewelded the damaged frame, and then reinstalled with heavier grade bolts.
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_1178
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_1183
Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops IMG_1184

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

As said above, Whoah and Holy Crap. I am also interested in the outcome, I have a set of these tow loops but haven't put them on the Jeep yet. The fix above appears to make sense. I'm really curious to hear a response from Maximus.