Sponsored

Maximus-3 Tow Loops - Which Tow Bars are you using?

slapshot12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
I agree. It’s a much cleaner look than the alternatives, and it’s strong.

If you go this route make sure to use plenty of thread-locker and check the loops regularly to make sure they are secure. I torqued mine down, and I used thread-locker, and one of them still worked loose — enough to wiggle and rattle — after about 2000 miles.

The new ends for the Roadmaster tow bars come in two sizes. Make sure you order the right size (3/4”). The others will provide too much slop.

I wish Maximus used the same painting process Roadmaster uses. The paint was damaged and falling off of my Maximus tow loops the first day of travel. Two years and 10,000+ miles later the Roadmaster bar ends that work against the Maximus loops still look great.
Thanks, I'll make sure to check them pre-trip. I checked the new Blue Ox bar ends and they fit perfectly. I'll have the rest of the wiring done on the Jeep this weekend, so I'm hoping to test everything and then try towing it to make sure everything is working right.
Sponsored

Inthedash

First Name
MW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 JLR
This may be a little long winded, just my experience so far and maybe help someone data mining like I do. I recently purchased a JLR and decided to go this Maximus route for the clean look, relative simple install, and cost. I had never heard of them before the purchase of the JLR. The previous owner had installed a roof rack by them and looked solid. I have a JT as well for the last year to tow behind our Motorcoach. For this setup I used the Roadmaster base plate with removable arms, the RM Invisibrake, and RM All Terrain tow bar. All good stuff and no issues really other than it’s a bit of a rattle trap with the removable arms.
One reason for the JL is to shave a little weight, though not much really. On CAT scale JT 4950 lbs with 1/2 tank of gas. The JLR is at 4500.
the thing that is frustrating is the fact that when I researched all this Maximus stuff from their own website there was no mention of needing a Tie-rod bar or system to prevent possible damage to the loops and the connection point on the JL frame. Only flag was that a certain type of clevis would be required and sold separately. No biggie, good heads up. No mention or link of tie-rod until the box shows up at the house and this flyer insert was in the box. Of course I didn’t order, and now I have to drop more cash to play, confirm to their rules of usage. Also could not tow my JL on this trip since it was within a few days. I had to debate if I wanted to continue the Maximus path. Some others posts on here show some decent damage to both tow loop and frame connection point since the connection point isn’t fully engaged with the frame like the Roadmaster. The culprit is usage without a proper setup up for toad braking and the added force applied to system when stopping tends to spread outward since the tow system is triangular. I have the proper braking system but do not want to risk myself, my equipment, and all those around me out on the roads. I have attached the flyer for reference. Tie-rod alone is another C-note which would bring me to the cost of the Roadmaster JL fit base plate which is proven solid for me. I suppose I’m going to order the tie rod since I’m this far in now. Just would have been appropriate if the manufacturer website let me know clearly up front about this added necessity. Hope this offers some insight. Take care out there and keep rolling along.

2DBDB6AC-6226-4391-BF05-602BEE425535.jpeg

5E80AC55-A21E-4AE1-9727-0DDB0EB38EE5.jpeg

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
Send it back and get a Rock jock. With the cross rod you won't be able to fold your towbar arms together for storage on the back of your motorhome.

rock jock 3.jpg

rock jock 2.jpg

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
This may be a little long winded, just my experience so far and maybe help someone data mining like I do. I recently purchased a JLR and decided to go this Maximus route for the clean look, relative simple install, and cost. I had never heard of them before the purchase of the JLR. The previous owner had installed a roof rack by them and looked solid. I have a JT as well for the last year to tow behind our Motorcoach. For this setup I used the Roadmaster base plate with removable arms, the RM Invisibrake, and RM All Terrain tow bar. All good stuff and no issues really other than it’s a bit of a rattle trap with the removable arms.
One reason for the JL is to shave a little weight, though not much really. On CAT scale JT 4950 lbs with 1/2 tank of gas. The JLR is at 4500.
the thing that is frustrating is the fact that when I researched all this Maximus stuff from their own website there was no mention of needing a Tie-rod bar or system to prevent possible damage to the loops and the connection point on the JL frame. Only flag was that a certain type of clevis would be required and sold separately. No biggie, good heads up. No mention or link of tie-rod until the box shows up at the house and this flyer insert was in the box. Of course I didn’t order, and now I have to drop more cash to play, confirm to their rules of usage. Also could not tow my JL on this trip since it was within a few days. I had to debate if I wanted to continue the Maximus path. Some others posts on here show some decent damage to both tow loop and frame connection point since the connection point isn’t fully engaged with the frame like the Roadmaster. The culprit is usage without a proper setup up for toad braking and the added force applied to system when stopping tends to spread outward since the tow system is triangular. I have the proper braking system but do not want to risk myself, my equipment, and all those around me out on the roads. I have attached the flyer for reference. Tie-rod alone is another C-note which would bring me to the cost of the Roadmaster JL fit base plate which is proven solid for me. I suppose I’m going to order the tie rod since I’m this far in now. Just would have been appropriate if the manufacturer website let me know clearly up front about this added necessity. Hope this offers some insight. Take care out there and keep rolling along.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 Tow Loops - Which Tow Bars are you using? rock jock 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus-3 Tow Loops - Which Tow Bars are you using? rock jock 2
I wonder if your order was placed before Maximus-3 had a fix, but the fix and new flier were developed before your order packed and shipped?

When most of us bought our Maximus tow loops there was no flier or warning of any kind — presumably because they didn’t anticipate the problem.

It took quite a while, but the Maximus-3 folks finally responded to my message here. They gave me a number to call, so I can get a tie rod. Now I have to decide whether I want the RJ solution, which I don’t like on the front of the Jeep, or the Maximus tie rod solution, which makes it impossible to stow the tow bar on the motorhome. i don’t really like either choice.
Sponsored