mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thanks for the details.

I can't find specifics about the changes (things that are supposed to be fixed) in the last updates that have been applied to my JLUR. Last update was in October 2022.

I'm attaching a description from the local dealership who applied some updates about one year ago.

Could you tell me a couple of things:

If these updates are still the latest or not --

If these updates should have corrected the problems --

Thanks man! You've been a big help!
BPCM was updated at that time, likely fixed the problem.
Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Quick update:

I've ordered the TD3.
As with any electronic device.... Make sure you update it before using it. You want all the latest features. SuperChips is always doing updates and adding features to their devices.

N00B

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19JLUR
Build Thread
Link
As with any electronic device.... Make sure you update it before using it. You want all the latest features. SuperChips is always doing updates and adding features to their devices.
OF COURSE!

That is like the unspoken / unwritten step one of everything ...

snelson148

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl rubicon
I have a 2019 Rubicon Unlimited with the 2.0L turbo having issues.

1st issue: I was wheeling in Colorado over the weekend and noticed extreme lag in the Turbo, on normal roads in automatic the turbo lags about 2-4 seconds before it kicks in to take off. ()both trips 2nd trip in 3 months to same trail) Back here in Ohio the turbo is instant. Another issue while crawling in 4 low was at a incline I let go of the brake and gave it gas simultaneously to go up an incline and the Jeep rolled backwards with the gas pedal pressed. The Turbo just sputters. I'm losing Turbo power and have to rev the engine out at 2k rpm to gain my turbo boost back. I have to rev out ever 10 feet or so while climbing at about a 7% incline. Running 93 octane in the east and 91 octane in the west. What's the deal with the power loss?

2nd issue: When I was in 4 low crawling the battery voltage went to 12.9 and the LOW VOLTAGE BATTERY light came on. Then the transmission kicked out of M1 gear and made a grinding noise for a second, then I was stuck dead in the trail at 9v 5 miles in. KEEP in mind if your Jeep drops below 12.2Volts you cannot move anywhere! No shift auto or manual nothing. All the lights flash, ABS, Engine light, Battery light......JL had 9153 miles on it at the time. To temporarily resolve the issues had to shut the Jeep off, got a battery jump and after the charge to 13.6v everything was running but at a lower voltage. The only issue now is the voltage normally stays at 14.5v but now ranges up and down between 13-13.4. AND how does the alternator charge without being connected to the belt pulley system? I was clueless on this JL ! Time for a code reader and a repair manual for those deep adventures.

My poor JL goes to the dealer Friday for repairs, but everything works now and the voltage is the only thing low. Does elevation affect the turbo that badly that I can't wheel out west? Or is there programming I can do to improve my turbo boost?

Anyone Else having issues with their New JL?
Jeep Wrangler JL Low Voltage Issue on the 2.0L - Turbo Boost Lag 1692040288149

Jeep Wrangler JL Low Voltage Issue on the 2.0L - Turbo Boost Lag 1692040288149
I have a 2019 Rubicon JL 2.0 turbo and have installed 5 batteries in 4 years
Same issues over and over with voltage drops with my jeep as well ( has the 48 VOLT Battery and generator under drivers side
sporadic but when it happens it all locks up
called dealer many times - left it there for 4 days - they never can seem to find any issue .
It just did it recently with a battery thatā€™s 6 weeks old - watched voltage go from 14.1 to 11.9 and back up like a roller coaster - kept doing for 45 mins driving home from Moab - thought Iā€™d be stuck
seems ok again but have many codes from that and dealer just says we could end up keeping until it acts up again (weeks to months).
they said the codes are useless if they cannot create voltage drop At shop
afraid to take it on any trip now
they have to know their is an issue ā€¦ā€¦..
steve

Sponsored

snelson148

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl rubicon
I want to know what accessories you guys are running and what other conditions were at play? I wheeled at altitude over 7500 in 4low for several hours this weekend and never did the voltage drop below 13.9 - there has to be a logical explanation for these issues. Especially the fact that something is draining down your batteries.

Also, are you running 38's there? You re-gear at all?
I believe itā€™s the 48v system and they just donā€™t want to replace under warranty
to many if us are having the same issue over and over
steve

thrasher5280

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've installed the SuperChips TrailDash3. Will be taking it on the trail soon. I'll report back once I have some news.

Any news on this? I am probably going the TD3 or Flashpaq route too and would love to hear it worked or another person before spending the money.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have a TD3 and have almost 30k miles on that tune. I've never had the charging problem, but I put the tune on somewhere after about 2 or 3 thousand miles, so I don't know if I would have ever experienced it. But as far as the tune itself, I'm still very happy with it.

Sponsored

JLU138

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon , 2014 JKU Rubicon
I have a 2019 Rubicon JL 2.0 turbo and have installed 5 batteries in 4 years
Same issues over and over with voltage drops with my jeep as well ( has the 48 VOLT Battery and generator under drivers side
sporadic but when it happens it all locks up
called dealer many times - left it there for 4 days - they never can seem to find any issue .
It just did it recently with a battery thatā€™s 6 weeks old - watched voltage go from 14.1 to 11.9 and back up like a roller coaster - kept doing for 45 mins driving home from Moab - thought Iā€™d be stuck
seems ok again but have many codes from that and dealer just says we could end up keeping until it acts up again (weeks to months).
they said the codes are useless if they cannot create voltage drop At shop
afraid to take it on any trip now
they have to know their is an issue ā€¦ā€¦..
steve

I kind of disconnected from this topic out of frustration and came to terms with the fact that I'd just have to turn off my vehicle for 60 seconds from time to time when she got all tuckered out. But last weekend I ran into someone driving a Bronco who, get this.... WAS ONE OF THE CHIEF ENGINEERERS WHO DESIGNED THE JL ENGINE WE ARE ALL HAVING TROUBLE WITH šŸ˜³!!!
Long story short, he got pretty defensive about the engine/ battery system capabilities and suggested that I should absolutely re gear to perhaps as high as 5:13. Now I've always known re gearing is essential if you want your vehicle to perform optimally on the street. But I've never considered ( perhaps ignorantly) the implications off-road. Has anyone re geared yet? Up until recently I've only had this issue while driving in for low on the flight at 37's, typically when going over an optical of some kind. But the other day I was stuck in traffic going over Floyd hill averaging 5 mph for about 15 minutes and it died on the highway. I turned it off and it started up again of course, but with a low voltage reading. I pulled over and turned it off for 60 seconds and everything was fine as per usual after that.

DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU Rubicon X, 19 JLU Rubicon, 23 JL392XR
Vehicle Showcase
Before I sold my 2019 JLUR, I had regeared it to 5.13 and ran it for some time. I can promise you it has NOTHING to do with the low voltage problem. I firmly believe if it can be reset by restarting the Jeep, it's a software problem...most like the charging algorithm. But hearing this engineer's response explains exactly why we're all chasing our tails for years on this forum. :mad:

N00B

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I kind of disconnected from this topic out of frustration and came to terms with the fact that I'd just have to turn off my vehicle for 60 seconds from time to time when she got all tuckered out. But last weekend I ran into someone driving a Bronco who, get this.... WAS ONE OF THE CHIEF ENGINEERERS WHO DESIGNED THE JL ENGINE WE ARE ALL HAVING TROUBLE WITH šŸ˜³!!!
Long story short, he got pretty defensive about the engine/ battery system capabilities and suggested that I should absolutely re gear to perhaps as high as 5:13. Now I've always known re gearing is essential if you want your vehicle to perform optimally on the street. But I've never considered ( perhaps ignorantly) the implications off-road. Has anyone re geared yet? Up until recently I've only had this issue while driving in for low on the flight at 37's, typically when going over an optical of some kind. But the other day I was stuck in traffic going over Floyd hill averaging 5 mph for about 15 minutes and it died on the highway. I turned it off and it started up again of course, but with a low voltage reading. I pulled over and turned it off for 60 seconds and everything was fine as per usual after that.
Floyd Hill is going to be slow for many years with that construction project!

I've re-geared -- we completed a significant upgrade, gears, axles, lift, suspension, wheels & tires -- went up to 4.88. In the winter I take my 37s off and put a set of snow tires, 35s, on for daily driver duties.

Re-gearing makes absolutely zero difference to me.

N00B

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Any news on this? I am probably going the TD3 or Flashpaq route too and would love to hear it worked or another person before spending the money.
So far the TD3 has been working great for me. We are heading to Moab next week, one last set of trails before the end of the year. I'm going to really be using it then and I'll come back with a more detailed report.

JLU138

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon , 2014 JKU Rubicon
Before I sold my 2019 JLUR, I had regeared it to 5.13 and ran it for some time. I can promise you it has NOTHING to do with the low voltage problem. I firmly believe if it can be reset by restarting the Jeep, it's a software problem...most like the charging algorithm. But hearing this engineer's response explains exactly why we're all chasing our tails for years on this forum. :mad:
Yeah that sounds right. Restarting the jeep fixes it every time.... so other than it not fixing the low voltage issue, would you recommend re-gearing? Was there a noticeable difference in any other regard?
Sponsored