First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Web Developer, Farmer
I have a 2019 Rubicon Unlimited with the 2.0L turbo having issues.

1st issue: I was wheeling in Colorado over the weekend and noticed extreme lag in the Turbo, on normal roads in automatic the turbo lags about 2-4 seconds before it kicks in to take off. ()both trips 2nd trip in 3 months to same trail) Back here in Ohio the turbo is instant. Another issue while crawling in 4 low was at a incline I let go of the brake and gave it gas simultaneously to go up an incline and the Jeep rolled backwards with the gas pedal pressed. The Turbo just sputters. I'm losing Turbo power and have to rev the engine out at 2k rpm to gain my turbo boost back. I have to rev out ever 10 feet or so while climbing at about a 7% incline. Running 93 octane in the east and 91 octane in the west. What's the deal with the power loss?

2nd issue: When I was in 4 low crawling the battery voltage went to 12.9 and the LOW VOLTAGE BATTERY light came on. Then the transmission kicked out of M1 gear and made a grinding noise for a second, then I was stuck dead in the trail at 9v 5 miles in. KEEP in mind if your Jeep drops below 12.2Volts you cannot move anywhere! No shift auto or manual nothing. All the lights flash, ABS, Engine light, Battery light......JL had 9153 miles on it at the time. To temporarily resolve the issues had to shut the Jeep off, got a battery jump and after the charge to 13.6v everything was running but at a lower voltage. The only issue now is the voltage normally stays at 14.5v but now ranges up and down between 13-13.4. AND how does the alternator charge without being connected to the belt pulley system? I was clueless on this JL ! Time for a code reader and a repair manual for those deep adventures.

My poor JL goes to the dealer Friday for repairs, but everything works now and the voltage is the only thing low. Does elevation affect the turbo that badly that I can't wheel out west? Or is there programming I can do to improve my turbo boost?

Anyone Else having issues with their New JL?
low-voltage.jpg

JL-down.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: J0E

Islandweld

First Name
JHS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2 door JL, 2.0
Right there with you. 200 miles and mine acted up, dealer said bad Auto stop motor. Back ordered, still said to drive it. Would shut down one minute, cranked up and charged fine for the next few miles. Finally shut down completely on vacation and different dealer had it now. Looking for the mysterious charging problem.
Needless to say my pissed needle is climbing, while I’m walkin.

OP
OP
Prowlers

Prowlers

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Web Developer, Farmer
Right there with you. 200 miles and mine acted up, dealer said bad Auto stop motor. Back ordered, still said to drive it. Would shut down one minute, cranked up and charged fine for the next few miles. Finally shut down completely on vacation and different dealer had it now. Looking for the mysterious charging problem.
Needless to say my pissed needle is climbing, while I’m walkin.
Did your voltage drop like mine? Has it come back on after a charge?

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar issue with mine on the way back from picking it up at the dealer (drove from ID to WA). My 48V and 12V batteries were replaced, and I haven't had any other issues so far 9k miles later.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-me-stranded-on-the-side-of-a-highway.14160/

That's where I was going to go with my answer Agent. Gentleman could a weak battery be the culprit. I don't know a ton about my Jeep yet (just got it), but I do know my Corvette. The Corvette will go completely stupid with a weak battery, showing it's ass in strange places, and CEL's out the wahzoo. With all the compooters running the Jeep it could be the same circumstance. Good luck, I hope it's a simple fix.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yea, a bad stock battery (12V) could be the issue, it has been reported many times here.

Keep in mind also that the 2.0 BSG does not have a traditional alternator, it’s a motor-generator thats much more involved.

Best case scenario, it’s a bad 12v battery. Other possible problems could be bad BSG motor-generator, bad 48V battery, bad connection somewhere, or electronic gremlins.

Islandweld

First Name
JHS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2 door JL, 2.0
Did your voltage drop like mine? Has it come back on after a charge?
New main battery did fine till about 50 or so miles. Now falling off again, back and forth from 12 to 14v. Last 20 miles licked on 14 and did not move turning on and off all electronics.
Auto stop MIL on again.

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
I have a 2019 Rubicon Unlimited with the 2.0L turbo having issues.

1st issue: I was wheeling in Colorado over the weekend and noticed extreme lag in the Turbo, on normal roads in automatic the turbo lags about 2-4 seconds before it kicks in to take off. ()both trips 2nd trip in 3 months to same trail) Back here in Ohio the turbo is instant. Another issue while crawling in 4 low was at a incline I let go of the brake and gave it gas simultaneously to go up an incline and the Jeep rolled backwards with the gas pedal pressed. The Turbo just sputters. I'm losing Turbo power and have to rev the engine out at 2k rpm to gain my turbo boost back. I have to rev out ever 10 feet or so while climbing at about a 7% incline. Running 93 octane in the east and 91 octane in the west. What's the deal with the power loss?

2nd issue: When I was in 4 low crawling the battery voltage went to 12.9 and the LOW VOLTAGE BATTERY light came on. Then the transmission kicked out of M1 gear and made a grinding noise for a second, then I was stuck dead in the trail at 9v 5 miles in. KEEP in mind if your Jeep drops below 12.2Volts you cannot move anywhere! No shift auto or manual nothing. All the lights flash, ABS, Engine light, Battery light......JL had 9153 miles on it at the time. To temporarily resolve the issues had to shut the Jeep off, got a battery jump and after the charge to 13.6v everything was running but at a lower voltage. The only issue now is the voltage normally stays at 14.5v but now ranges up and down between 13-13.4. AND how does the alternator charge without being connected to the belt pulley system? I was clueless on this JL ! Time for a code reader and a repair manual for those deep adventures.

My poor JL goes to the dealer Friday for repairs, but everything works now and the voltage is the only thing low. Does elevation affect the turbo that badly that I can't wheel out west? Or is there programming I can do to improve my turbo boost?

Anyone Else having issues with their New JL?
low-voltage.jpg

JL-down.jpg
Yeah mines been at the dealer for a month and a half for a bad BSG... Couldn't drive it cause the engine kept surging

Last edited:

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
I want to know what accessories you guys are running and what other conditions were at play? I wheeled at altitude over 7500 in 4low for several hours this weekend and never did the voltage drop below 13.9 - there has to be a logical explanation for these issues. Especially the fact that something is draining down your batteries.

Also, are you running 38's there? You re-gear at all?

Reactions: J0E

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
I want to know what accessories you guys are running and what other conditions were at play? I wheeled at altitude over 7500 in 4low for several hours this weekend and never did the voltage drop below 13.9 - there has to be a logical explanation for these issues. Especially the fact that something is draining down your batteries.

Also, are you running 38's there? You re-gear at all?
I can't say I cared to check my voltage since the CEL turned on and it had 8 codes relating to the alternator and hybrid battery. However, mines bone stock and it hasn't seen any offroad since I have the old YJ for that.

Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If you leave it idling in 4h and then 4 low do you get a difference? I’ve wheeled in 4low for 3 days non stop and never had an issue at all and my max speed was maybe 8mph.

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
I hope this unicorns don’t start tripping on the trails.

Does anyone know how much is and which battery should be the replacement?

Thinking about installing a second battery...

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
For the past 6 days I have been in and out or 4lo and 4hi. I have noticed the my charge voltage has been around 13.6. I have have had no problems. As far as turbo lag.... I have been wheeling in northern New Mexico and Colorado and have been at 9000-11000 feet I can tell you there is some noticeable lag at those elevations. Take some getting used to. Once the turbine spools I do not feel any loss of power. I have traveled around 700 miles total in the back country of northern NM and Southern CO and love the turbo.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly just curious what the common denominator is in these issues. Clearly, the 12V battery isn't being recharged.
Sponsored