First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I want one that doesn't use the SGW and doesn't reside permanently in the OBD.

It needs to adjust for tire size and defeat the TPMS. My needs are simple; no extra bells/whistles required.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
John, I thought of that as well, but this is from the AEV site:

The JL Wrangler and Gladiator both have a security gateway module installed from the factory. In order to bypass the security gateway module, there are two options: install a bypass module or install the AEV Programming harness. It’s much easier to install the harness which gives enthusiasts a direct connection to their vehicles communication system for the ProCal or any device utilizing the OBDII Connector with the AEV adapter. This system retains the factory security gateway module to protect you from a remote attack through the radio or cellular connection.

My Jeep is occasionally (twice) throwing codes (ala Xmas tree flashing and limp home mode). The dealer believes it traces back to the defeated SGW from the Taser. They showed me a colored schematic of my vehicle diagnostics where the SGW was bright red. Since I need very limited functionality (tire size, TPMS) I thought I'd explore eliminating the SGW's participation.

BTW, after clearing codes and unplugging the batteries, it runs like a champ. I had the dealer check to see if the wiring harness was chafing/burning and they said all clearances were proper.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Use JScan with an Bluetooth OBD. You only need to unplug the cables to use the reader to program then you can plug the cables back in and the settings are stored in the ecm. It does most of what the taser does but doesn’t have the live settings.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Rick, why not just have the dealer set it if you are concerned?

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rick, why not just have the dealer set it if you are concerned?
That's certainly an option. The issue is the dealer scan doesn't override the TPMS.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I am also under the impression that the AEV pro cal SNAP is the right tool for this. I purchased and installed a AEV lift and it came with one. If I recall AEV told me it's an easy procedure to reprogram the tire size and doesn't compromise anything. That was 2 years ago...things may have changed.

Last edited:

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I have the AEV procal from when I did my lift. Honestly JScan is way easier to use and if your not using taser that is what everyone else uses. All in for under $75 for what you need. Download the app and it has a demo mode that you can see all the functions.

https://www.amazon.com/Generatic-Chrysler-Cable-Autel-Maxisys/dp/B08LYT62J9/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2LUE1M38XBJNG&keywords=chrysler+12+8&qid=1679746336&sprefix=chrysler+12,aps,87&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Bluetooth-Scanner-Android-Compatible/dp/B06XGB4873/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?crid=3NRYQO7QQCX2V&keywords=bluetooth+obd&qid=1679746398&sprefix=bluetooth+obd,aps,87&sr=8-15

Cables connect to OBD reader them to gateway cables. Once your programming is done you plug every thing back in to stock. If your not programming you can just plug in the reader to look at codes and clear them if need be. JScan app is free but I think it’s like $20 to get a license that is set to your vin and good for life.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a tire size programer E4F83500-E766-4965-B1BE-56CB7499CC58

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@rickinAZ

Good chance the "limp mode" events were caused by the throttle controller I believe you are using.
Not uncommon at all for a TC to be the villian.... especially if you change modes while actively using/pressing the gas pedal.

I believe your dealership Service Dept. is blowing smoke up your ass.

In regard to the Tazer JL.... thousands out there in use and your JL is special and issue caused by xxxxx / SGW connections. says the dealer.. Naah.

Since you are soured on your TazerJL, consider going with JSCAN. Do your desired deeds with JSCAN and then remove the hardware and reconnect the security gateway. You will temporarily hook all back up when you want to fool with TPMS.

If you go with JSCAN, do buy a scan tool that is "Highly recommended" by JSCAN.

Also, for a few reasons go with a dedicated security gateway bypass module and not with the old school, laughable, 12+8 Chrysler Cable. (You will use your ZAutomotive security gateway extension cable you have with the dedicated security gateway bypass module)

Note.... you want a scan tool that is "Highly Recommended for use with a JL and not a JK.
Read here: https://jscan.net/supported-and-not-supported-obd-adapters/

Curcurt

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

JSCAN is the way to go. I first used it for my 2021 JLU and yesterday I did tires and TPMS for my wife's new Jeep. The hardest part is getting to the wires and then putting them back.

Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
@rickinAZ

Good chance the "limp mode" events were caused by the throttle controller I believe you are using.
Not uncommon at all for a TC to be the villian.... especially if you change modes while actively using/pressing the gas pedal.

I believe your dealership Service Dept. is blowing smoke up your ass.

In regard to the Tazer JL.... thousands out there in use and your JL is special and issue caused by xxxxx says the dealer.. Naah.

Since you are soured on your TazerJL, consider going with JSCAN. Do your desired deeds with JSCAN and then remove the hardware and reconnect the security gateway.

If you go with JSCAN, do buy a scan tool that is "Highly recommended" by JSCAN. Also, for a few reasons go with a dedicated security gateway bypass module and not with the old school, laughable, 12+8 Chrysler Cable. (You will use your ZAutomotive security gateway extension cable you have with the dedicated security gateway bypass module.

Note.... you want a scan tool that is "Highly Recommended for use with a JL and not a JK.
Read here: https://jscan.net/supported-and-not-supported-obd-adapters/

@Stuckinthesand
@Rhinebeck01 is right about the module. I keep forgetting about it because I use the cables since I got them before the modules were available. They will be 100% easier than the cables.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rhinebeck01 is right about the module. I keep forgetting about it because I use the cables since I got them before the modules were available. They will be 100% easier than the cables.
He can use the dedicated security gateway bypass in conjunction with the security gateway extension cable he owns..

I should mention.... while he has a Tazer JL in his possession, he can use that Tazer JL as his security gateway bypass... Just place/install the unmarried Tazer JL, use it as a bypass... do JSCAN settings and then remove the Tazer JL when done..

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S

He can use the dedicated security gateway bypass in conjunction with the security gateway extension cable he owns..

I should mention.... while he has a Tazer JL in his possession, he can use that Tazer JL as his security gateway bypass... Just place/install the unmarried Tazer JL, use it as a bypass... do JSCAN settings and then remove the Tazer JL when done..
I did not realize that. I know the tazer is the top of the line I just never needed everything it does.
@rickinAZ you would be wise to listen to @Rhinebeck01. He is very knowledgeable about anything when it comes to these JL’s.He has helped out quite a few posters.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the Tazer Mini for the tire size function. Since then, I’ve used it to:
  1. Activate the halos on the Mopar LED headlamps
  2. Activate the front LED turn signals
  3. Disable SiriusXM TravelLink weather alerts
  4. Reprogram tire size two more times
  5. Lower the TPMS threshold
  6. Change gear ratio to 4.88
  7. Disable ESS —I have enabled it since
At $125 per visit, I’d have had to pay the dealer over $1,000 to get all these done. So the Tazer has more than paid for itself.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I bought the Tazer Mini for the tire size function. Since then, I’ve used it to:
  1. Activate the halos on the Mopar LED headlamps
  2. Activate the front LED turn signals
  3. Disable SiriusXM TravelLink weather alerts
  4. Reprogram tire size two more times
  5. Lower the TPMS threshold
  6. Change gear ratio to 4.88
  7. Disable ESS —I have enabled it since
At $125 per visit, I’d have had to pay the dealer over $1,000 to get all these done. So the Tazer has more than paid for itself.
JScan can do all that except 3 and 7. It can do 7 but it shows the symbol on the EVIC.
Sponsored