Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Many of the complaints are coming from prior JK owners who had no problem with how the JK steered.
And there are many people who legitimately have faulty steering stabilizers who are reporting their issues fixed with maintenance and warranty work.
Sponsored

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
Regarding the steering, I had the same concerns. I test drove my first Rubicon last year around February. The first thing I noticed was a ton of drifting above 40 MPH. This almost stopped me from ordering my Rubicon. I mulled on it for a couple months while reading this forum. I saw where some people were also complains about the drifting and there was a mention of overinflated tires. I put my order in am March 20th. Didn’t get it until a the end of July. I did notice a slight amount of drifting when I first got it. Deflated tires to 33 Lbs and it was marginally better. After driving it the steering got better and better. Around 2000 miles the steering no longer had any drift. I think there were some Jeeps out there with legitimate steering issues early last year but the issue seems to mostly be gone now.
I think there is a bit of paranoia going on as well, and I say that about myself. When I was researching I read all the same horror stories about the steering/drifting on the highway. I took the Jeep I eventually bought out for an extensive test drive and while there was some wondering I didn't feel "scared" to drive it so I chalked it up to the solid front axles etc. I felt like that for a while then I stopped worrying about it an wholla, didn't notice any more wondering when I'm driving, I do believe that reading all the stuff got into my head a bit. When I read that people seem to think the steering gets better after a couple of thousand miles what I really think is happening is that they've stopped worrying about it and are just driving :)

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
i went through this decision process recently. i have (and am keeping) a 2003 4Runner with a V8. I've been driving it for 16 years without a single hiccup. not one issue. but i wanted to pick up something new and modern and, I dunno, reinvigorating... so i have a reason to go to work each day (besides healthcare). my choices were 4Runner, Tacoma, and SQ5. i test drove all of these over the course of the last 6 months. the new 4Runner interior is a little dated and wasn't what i was hoping for and the V6 needs help, i could live with the interior if it was as peppy as my V8. it is a great SUV for sure but i still felt like i need something more/different. the Tacoma drives like a big truck, you have to really work the steering wheel and the acceleration response is just not there. at all. the interior is perfect for me though, I was really happy with it. the SQ5 is an awesome vehicle, fit and finish is typical Audi and the engine tuning is superb. i tried to buy one of these twice in the past 6 months but they couldn't find one with the options I wanted. then I decided to drive a Wrangler on a whim. i wasn't expecting much and just wanted to remove it from my list so I could move on. i was surprised by the peppy acceleration (both V6 and 2.0), the interior is perfect for my tastes, room in the back for my bike, and... like all post-middle-age-guys, I've wanted one ever since i was a kid.

i ordered a Sahara because i wanted SelecTrac for NE winters. I've only had this thing for a few weeks now, and it does have a steering issue which is real and not my imagination (excessive play in the steering wheel = driver induced oscillation and wandering at speed), but i still smile every time i get in it and i just love taking it on the sandy/packed dirt trails we have in the woods around here. overall, I am shocked at the quality of the build. I've owned more than a dozen cars/trucks in my life, many purchased new. mostly Japanese and German, but two American vehicles too. we'll see how things play out as the years tick on, but my initial impression is that the build quality is among the best I've ever owned. I'm really impressed and very happy i purchased this. the guys/gals in Toledo definitely know how to build a Jeep.

but I'm also keeping my 4Runner because it's *the* best vehicle I've ever owned.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I think there is a bit of paranoia going on as well, and I say that about myself. When I was researching I read all the same horror stories about the steering/drifting on the highway. I took the Jeep I eventually bought out for an extensive test drive and while there was some wondering I didn't feel "scared" to drive it so I chalked it up to the solid front axles etc. I felt like that for a while then I stopped worrying about it an wholla, didn't notice any more wondering when I'm driving, I do believe that reading all the stuff got into my head a bit. When I read that people seem to think the steering gets better after a couple of thousand miles what I really think is happening is that they've stopped worrying about it and are just driving :)
If you let your mind zone in on something so much you'll convince yourself a problem is there.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
If you let your mind zone in on something so much you'll convince yourself a problem is there.
I've driven 4 different JLs and there definitely is noticeable variation in the steering behavior between units. some of the complaints probably are from folks who have never driven a vehicle with a solid front axle, but some of the issues are real.

Sponsored

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
I’m going to give you the skinny from someone who has had a few of both. If your looking for straight up rock crawling ability then the answer is clear, get a wrangler. If your looking for a capable off-road vehicle that is reliable and practical then get a 4Runner. I’ve had 4 Wranglers and 3 4Runners (currently driving 19 TRD Pro, but we also have an 18 2 door Willy’s) and if I could only choose one since I do off-road but don’t rock climb I would pick the 4Runner all day long. More comfortable for both driver and passengers, more reliable, more cargo capacity, and this last one is just my opinion but more rugged looking as well. Now don’t get me wrong, I love Wranglers, obviously because we still have one, but if I had to give one up tomorrow it would definitely be the wrangler.

1E838001-331B-49F6-9897-03725B104E47.jpeg

SeaJay

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 CJ5, 1976 CJ5, 1999 TJ, 2012 JK
Apples to oranges as far as I'm concerned...
Those 4 runner doors are a pain to take on and off. The roof? Maybe a sawzall??
Seriously though... there is no comparison. My son traded in his '15 Tacoma for a JK last year. That Tacoma was nothing but a lemon from day one. His JK? Daily driver taking him to work and college every day. Zero issues and he's already racked up 14k on it. Sorry if I'm not a believer in Toyota and their magical reliability.
Get a JLU... you'll have a blast and your kids will love you for it.
"My Dad has a JEEP!!"
;)

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly really wanted a 4runner but I couldn't get over how outdated it felt. I'm not a rock crawler at all. I'm into camping and what not. I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much money for a 10 year old vehicle when the Wrangler had so many bells and whistles added.

And I am a huge Toyota/Lexus fan. I've owned a bunch of them.

Hopefully the 4runner gets a massive upgrade soon. There's a good chance I'd switch if they did.

I never want to use that crappy Entune system again.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
Hi all,

I'm coming from years of about 6 jeeps. My last one was a 2008 Unlimited which I sold around 2012 due to having company trucks. In 2017 we ended our company program and I went to an BMW X3M40i, big mistake nothing but issues. I just got out of the car and looking for a very capable do anything family SUV for my wife and 2 kids.

Both kids in car seats 3 year old and new born.

I've read up on the steering wheel / steering feel issues and it has definitely deterred me.
I need a reliable daily driver that has the ability to go anywhere. I can't afford to have the car in the shop as much as my bmw looking for endless fixes.

How wide spread is the JL's steering issues an other issues? How does the reliability look for the 2019?

Its come down to a 19 JLU Rubicon/sahara or a 19 4runner LTD.

Thanks for the input.
I am fortunate to own both. Both are niche vehicles IMO. My Sahara is my fun, weekend vehicle. It is much more comfortable than my JKU was. I like it quite a bit. My steering is no where near as bad as others have described. Much better than my lifted JKU ever was. Only issue I've had in 7 months of ownership has been with the electronic stability control. After the visits to the service department, I finally convinced them to check the vacuum pump and they did and replaced it and no issues since.
Regarding the 4Runner, it has been extremely reliable and a good family vehicle. We have traveled in it and nobody ever complained they were uncomfortable. The technology is how hum but it's a Toyota and will run forever. I have not had any issues with it at all. It is the TRD Off Road model with KDSS and it's ride quality is outstanding because of the KDSS.
Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. Good luck with your decision.

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

image2.jpeg

Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
I honestly really wanted a 4runner but I couldn't get over how outdated it felt. I'm not a rock crawler at all. I'm into camping and what not. I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much money for a 10 year old vehicle when the Wrangler had so many bells and whistles added.

Hopefully the 4runner gets a massive upgrade soon. There's a good chance I'd switch if they did.

All good points which I agree with and Entune is a freaking joke.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

I’m going to give you the skinny from someone who has had a few of both. If your looking for straight up rock crawling ability then the answer is clear, get a wrangler. If your looking for a capable off-road vehicle that is reliable and practical then get a 4Runner. I’ve had 4 Wranglers and 3 4Runners (currently driving 19 TRD Pro, but we also have an 18 2 door Willy’s) and if I could only choose one since I do off-road but don’t rock climb I would pick the 4Runner all day long. More comfortable for both driver and passengers, more reliable, more cargo capacity, and this last one is just my opinion but more rugged looking as well. Now don’t get me wrong, I love Wranglers, obviously because we still have one, but if I had to give one up tomorrow it would definitely be the wrangler.

1E838001-331B-49F6-9897-03725B104E47.jpeg
This is the model & color I was this close to getting. Pretty cool how voodoo blue is exclusive to that trim. I have no regrets but it was close! So I will maximize what I have by playing with the roof options, taking off doors & dropping windshield to play up the fun factor more. If I had the 4Runner I’d be setting it up to sleep inside for extended camping. Embrace what you have/where you live I say.

A friend really wants your exact one too, I’m peer pressuring him pretty hard to get it. Another friend has an FJ w/ a trailer. The 3 of us would be set up pretty good out there :movember::sun::tumbleweed:

Rubicon@2019

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I figured I would chime in on this topic seeing that I went on this same exact road lately. First let me say that my whole life I have only owned fords. I have owned almost every body style mustang and almost every F-150 ever made. My whole family has owned Fords as long as I can remember. Now for me and my family I needed a SUV and I didn't really like anything Ford had to offer either because they were ugly, over priced or got bad MPG. I know that it is not easy to get everything you want in one vehicle and for me it came down to the 4runner or the wrangler. Funny thing is it was originally between the 4runner and the Grand Cherokee. I went and test drove a few of the 4runners and will say that it was comfortable but it was no doubt out dated on the inside. To me it was really sluggish and had no power. I did like the amount of room it had on the inside. If I got one I would have wanted the 3rd row but then you can only get the SR5 or LTD and I would have preferred TRD or PRO ( crawl feature and styling) so then the 3rd row seats wouldn't have been a option any way so that played in to my opinion. Then when I went and drove the GC ( trail hawk) I was just not impressed at all. I didn't like the way it drove and to me it was a tight feeling cabin and kinda drove like a sedan ( could be good for some) which is not what I was wanting really, just like the feel of a truck or off road vehicle. While I was on the lot I just happened to walk over on the same lot and noticed that that the Wrangler now had a 4 cylinder that got decent MPG. I had never considered a Wrangler because I figured they would be small on the inside and terrible on gas. Once I noticed the window sticker and the MPG I told the sales person to get some keys and lets take it for a ride. After driving one for the first time I was impressed, It seemed to have more room then expected (less than the 4runner) a lot more pep and power then expected and it was fun to drive. I went home and started my home work all over again and now was comparing the 4runner to the wrangler. After researching and test driving a couple more times I went with a 2019 Rubicon. To me it came down to a few things that are important to me. The fact that I can get at least 5 extra MPG on average, to me the Rubicon looks better and is more of a joy to drive, and I have a small secondary home at the beach which means I can cruise around with out the top and doors on the beach is really cool. Also I figured since they just came out with the JL I will probably have the newer body style for awhile and since Toyota has been rocking the same body style on the 4runner for so long Im sure a new Gen is in the mix. I didn't want to have a brand new 4runner and in a few years it would be the old body style but that's just me. Also the fact that you can make the wrangler exactly how you want it with all the after market parts is very impressive. Its like really expensive legos for adult. Any thing you want to change you can, just buy what you want and snap it in lol. Not to mention I like getting the Jeep wave from others, makes you feel like you are in the cool kids club. I have 2 kids and a dog that rides in the back and we love it. No complaint. I daily drive mine with no regrets and I never look back. Hope my 2 cents and all this ranting helps. Good luck!

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
My family consist of my Wife, 6 year old boy, 3 year old girl, and 11 month boy. We take the rubicon on camping trips with the camper trailer and its a little snug with three kids - tons of gear in the camping trailer. When its the two older kids and mom and dad and baby is being watched by grandmother I thing the jeep is a great fit. We traveled with two kids in a rav 4 for years and it was plenty of room.

With the three kids and sometimes towing more my wife drives a Yukon XL so we have an abundance of space in that ride.

If your not going to have a third anytime soon I think the Jeep is great. My kids and wife like the top off for short trips but not long trips or in the evening.
IMG_0476.jpeg

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR

I guess it all comes down to what you want. Yeah the entune screen is only 6.1 inches and doesn’t have apple car play, but that doesn’t bother me like it does others. The interior is so utilitarian and solid and that’s what I appreciate about it. The knobs for the climate control and radio are massive and have a solid clunky feel when you twist them. I have heated 8 way power seats, nav with Bluetooth and the JBL premium sound. For me that’s more than enough creature comforts, but others demand more. Others have chimed in and said the Toyota reliability is not all that, but it honestly is. A person who keeps a 4Runner and takes care of it can easily expect 300,000 miles out of it with generally just routine maintenance and replace wear items. A Jeep (and remember I’m not knocking Jeeps as we have one) will be lucky to see 150,000 miles without needing a major something (minus the old 4.0). What Jeeps do have over anything else is the freedom and fun factor of no doors and no roof, and to some that’s all that matters. But for the OP needs idk of the freedom and fun factor are the basis for his decision. If it was he wouldn’t of had to even ask what to get.
Sponsored