Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Very good point.

I've driven the 4runner multiple times. The ceiling height so far has been the biggest reason I haven't committed to it. Interior is just sad needs an upgrade. However the reliability is amazing that what keep pulling me towards it.

How does the new JL drive compared to the old ones. I will say the old ones weren't family friendly. I would most likely keep a rubi stock maybe moderate tire upgrade and little more lift.
My points of comparison are with my old 48’ CJ2A, 59’ CJ5. I’d say my 2018 Rubicon 4-Door drives much better.

But seriously, I’ve had my rubicon around a month and have about 3K miles on it. I’ve done a few 7-8 hour road trips, some light trail riding and out to the beach. I love the ride. Been up to 90 on it and feel perfectly safe with the way it tracks the road. I have the V-6 and wish the gas mileage was bit better (I doubt $2/gallon gas will last forever), but I can live with 17-18MPG.

You can put a lot of junk in the back and I also have a small trailer. So I remain sold on it.
Sponsored

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I hope I don't get hate mail over this since its a Jeep page. I love my Jeep. But I have both. Just traded a Sahara for my new Rubicon that came in last week. I didn't worry about the issues because I have several backup vehicles AND it is a vast minority of people that have problems. BUT, the problems do exist and is a concern for many. I took my Rubi (special order) for a test drive before accepting it. I don't think I would want the Jeep as my only vehicle unless we lived a real adventurous life and camped and explored every weekend. I don't have the wobble, but you do get a little shake over road bumps. It's a Jeep thing (solid axle). The heat and the cold are difficult in a Jeep. None of the top options really make for a comfortable climate inside. However they are removable!. The rear seat area in 2019 now has ventilation ducts but I can't feel too much coming back to them. Traditionally little of your heat or A/C gets back there. If you do a lot of higher speed interstate driving the Jeep won't feel near as stable on the curves. All in all the Jeep wasn't meant to be a daily driver. Yet I got it for just that purpose. I pick my 2 grandkids up from school everyday in the Jeep. I sound like I am against the Jeep. There are many more faults I could give it. But I love it. You will either love it or hate it. It's just a shame you can't know before you buy :)

BUT, if you want a reliable vehicle for a daily driver, the Toyota is going to be hard to beat. I've had three 4 Runners. To be honest I think they ride too rough (contrary to what some are saying on here). My last one though is a TRD Pro and it has soft springs for trail riding and it is smoother than the LTD. However it does experience nose dive on hard braking. On a plus side my Pro is 2 years old. I paid $42,600 for it and the current clean NADA retail on it is $44,000. If you want an off roader similar to a Jeep's Saraha capabilities but more civil with an excellent resale (yes, better than Jeep's) go for the TRD Pro instead of the limited. But they are hard to find and expect to pay sticker

And as mentioned by others, the headroom is an issue if you are tall. I can't drive a 4Runner with a sunroof. About the only way to get one without the sunroof is with the PRO. I'm 6'1 and the headroom with a sunroof is minimal.

It might not suit your manhood, but for a family vehicle a Highlander is awesome. I've had three and the second row has more leg room than my Suburban. Good gas mileage (my 4Runner gets 17mpg max), plently of room for strollers and things, the SE model looks nice and it is not a mini van

jeep 4runner.jpg

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
The 4Runner trd would be the one I’d consider if it was between a Jeep and Toyota. Our Jeep is a 3rd vehicle and while we love it, I don’t know how I’d feel about it being primary transportation. My wife had a Q5 as well when we were planning to have kids. Thought it we roomy and would be a good choice. Once we got a car seat in it, we realized what a mistake it was. Ended up buying her a 4wd crew cab f-150 and she loved it. Now she’s back in a tahoe. Stopped at one kid so can’t imagine two. Have you looked at trucks at all? They are huge inside and with a locking bedcover are very family friendly.

Brett

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Any other serious issues to be concerned about on the JLU's? Just seems like steering concerns.
I would say just typical first year bugs, but also lower quality that can often be associated with FCA in general.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I would say just typical first year bugs, but also lower quality that can often be associated with FCA in general.
Hard to argue with this. But dont let what you read on this or any other enthusiast forum sway your opinion too much. I’ve had great luck with Toyota, but they’ve got thier issues too. I think people are more likely to find a forum like this when they have problems or what to complain as opposed to people with no issues.

I say pick the vehicle that meets your functional/comfort needs. We bought our jeep because its a fun vehicle. No apologies.

Sponsored

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
I wish Jeep would finally make a 3 row vehicle. One big advantage of the 4 Runner is that you can get a small 3rd row for when you want to haul 6 people or 5 people with some space for long trips. Try stuffing 3 kids in 1 row for several hours.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I wish Jeep would finally make a 3 row vehicle. One big advantage of the 4 Runner is that you can get a small 3rd row for when you want to haul 6 people or 5 people with some space for long trips. Try stuffing 3 kids in 1 row for several hours.
I could only imagine. I only have one kid, but if I had three, I imagine I would be always say, “kids, dad will turn this car around if you don’t behave!!!”

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
I could only imagine. I only have one kid, but if I had three, I imagine I would be always say, “kids, dad will turn this car around if you don’t behave!!!”
I have done it. When we take the 3 boys anywhere, we take the Tribeca to avoid the fighting. We take the JLU when there is 4 or less people. And sometimes we take grandma, so we have to take the Tribeca to fit all 6.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Hi all,

I'm coming from years of about 6 jeeps. My last one was a 2008 Unlimited which I sold around 2012 due to having company trucks. In 2017 we ended our company program and I went to an BMW X3M40i, big mistake nothing but issues. I just got out of the car and looking for a very capable do anything family SUV for my wife and 2 kids.

Both kids in car seats 3 year old and new born.

I've read up on the steering wheel / steering feel issues and it has definitely deterred me.
I need a reliable daily driver that has the ability to go anywhere. I can't afford to have the car in the shop as much as my bmw looking for endless fixes.

How wide spread is the JL's steering issues an other issues? How does the reliability look for the 2019?

Its come down to a 19 JLU Rubicon/sahara or a 19 4runner LTD.

Thanks for the input.
Go Jeep. The 4 Runner is nice but not really comparable to the Wrangler. I have a brand new JLUR and my company car is a 2019 4 Runner. The 4Runner is very dated at this point and nothing really compares to the Jeep. The tweaks that Jeep made to make the Wrangler move livable are legit so there is no reason not to go jeep.

Sponsored

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
We own both (though our 4Runner is an old one). The Runner has been the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned and we've owned a BUNCH.

The part above that I bolded is a problematic statement b/c it means so many things to different people. No 4wd "goes anywhere". They all have their limits. The JLU...without the Rubicon package isn't that much more capable than the 4Runner with a rear locker. I'd argue it might be less based on both having traction control systems and the 4Runner having a true locking diff option, not an LSD as well as a higher frame height for more clearance on obstacles.

The reliability with the Toyota will likely be better than the Jeep. IMO, the interior and fit and finish are head and shoulders above it as well. You will also get more interior space up front at the shoulders specifically in the Toyota (if you're a bigger guy with broad shoulders, the Jeep is cramped)......bigger rear doors (huge bonus for loading car seats and kids), probably more room in the rear seating area (haven't checked that but *looks* that way) and definitely more usable cargo space in the rear cargo area.

I didn't start writing this thinking I was going to say get the Toyota, but I am. If you want more offroad capability to "go more places", you'll need to step up into a JLURubicon....but all those other points still stand.
And additionally, a TRD Off Road will give you a lot of capabilities at a much lower price then the PRO and a comparable 2019 Jeep

OP
OP

freitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3M40i, Audi Q5, BMW X1
I hope I don't get hate mail over this since its a Jeep page. I love my Jeep. But I have both. Just traded a Sahara for my new Rubicon that came in last week. I didn't worry about the issues because I have several backup vehicles AND it is a vast minority of people that have problems. BUT, the problems do exist and is a concern for many. I took my Rubi (special order) for a test drive before accepting it. I don't think I would want the Jeep as my only vehicle unless we lived a real adventurous life and camped and explored every weekend. I don't have the wobble, but you do get a little shake over road bumps. It's a Jeep thing (solid axle). The heat and the cold are difficult in a Jeep. None of the top options really make for a comfortable climate inside. However they are removable!. The rear seat area in 2019 now has ventilation ducts but I can't feel too much coming back to them. Traditionally little of your heat or A/C gets back there. If you do a lot of higher speed interstate driving the Jeep won't feel near as stable on the curves. All in all the Jeep wasn't meant to be a daily driver. Yet I got it for just that purpose. I pick my 2 grandkids up from school everyday in the Jeep. I sound like I am against the Jeep. There are many more faults I could give it. But I love it. You will either love it or hate it. It's just a shame you can't know before you buy :)

BUT, if you want a reliable vehicle for a daily driver, the Toyota is going to be hard to beat. I've had three 4 Runners. To be honest I think they ride too rough (contrary to what some are saying on here). My last one though is a TRD Pro and it has soft springs for trail riding and it is smoother than the LTD. However it does experience nose dive on hard braking. On a plus side my Pro is 2 years old. I paid $42,600 for it and the current clean NADA retail on it is $44,000. If you want an off roader similar to a Jeep's Saraha capabilities but more civil with an excellent resale (yes, better than Jeep's) go for the TRD Pro instead of the limited. But they are hard to find and expect to pay sticker

And as mentioned by others, the headroom is an issue if you are tall. I can't drive a 4Runner with a sunroof. About the only way to get one without the sunroof is with the PRO. I'm 6'1 and the headroom with a sunroof is minimal.

It might not suit your manhood, but for a family vehicle a Highlander is awesome. I've had three and the second row has more leg room than my Suburban. Good gas mileage (my 4Runner gets 17mpg max), plently of room for strollers and things, the SE model looks nice and it is not a mini van

jeep 4runner.jpg
Highlander isn't for me. Nothing to do with masculinity. I've only driven ones with sunroofs and will agree its super tight. Your saying without sun roof has more room? About how much more that could be the easy answer.

There is a used TRD Pro near here for a good price.

The 4Runner trd would be the one I’d consider if it was between a Jeep and Toyota. Our Jeep is a 3rd vehicle and while we love it, I don’t know how I’d feel about it being primary transportation. My wife had a Q5 as well when we were planning to have kids. Thought it we roomy and would be a good choice. Once we got a car seat in it, we realized what a mistake it was. Ended up buying her a 4wd crew cab f-150 and she loved it. Now she’s back in a tahoe. Stopped at one kid so can’t imagine two. Have you looked at trucks at all? They are huge inside and with a locking bedcover are very family friendly.

Brett
The 19 Q5 after the redesign as more space. We fit both car seats just fine. My wife isn't tiny either 5'7" about 117lbs. I don't find the space tight good layout design. My X3M40i was much tighter for space.

OP
OP

freitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We own both (though our 4Runner is an old one). The Runner has been the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned and we've owned a BUNCH.

The part above that I bolded is a problematic statement b/c it means so many things to different people. No 4wd "goes anywhere". They all have their limits. The JLU...without the Rubicon package isn't that much more capable than the 4Runner with a rear locker. I'd argue it might be less based on both having traction control systems and the 4Runner having a true locking diff option, not an LSD as well as a higher frame height for more clearance on obstacles.

The reliability with the Toyota will likely be better than the Jeep. IMO, the interior layout (while admittedly dated) and fit and finish are head and shoulders above it as well. You will also get more interior space up front at the shoulders specifically in the Toyota (if you're a bigger guy with broad shoulders, the Jeep is cramped)......bigger rear doors (huge bonus for loading car seats and kids), probably more room in the rear seating area (haven't checked that but *looks* that way) and definitely more usable cargo space in the rear cargo area.

I didn't start writing this thinking I was going to say get the Toyota, but I am. If you want more offroad capability to "go more places", you'll need to step up into a JLURubicon....but all those other points still stand.
------

As far as "go anywhere"
Need to be able to get into the mountains during snow. We have a ski place Timberline WV we go to often in the winter.
Need to hand some off roading, nothing extreme but enough to have some quarterly fun.
Needs to handle sand and beach. We have a place in fenwick island. We drive on the beach with all the kids stuff.
Needs to handle 2 car seats and 15k miles a year for 6-7 years.
Needs to handle highway well, would like to cruise up 83 for work at 75-80 mph without wobbling.
Needs to fit stuff in it as far as camping etc.
Needs to have ability to mod slightly as far as little lift slightly bigger tires bumper etc.

These reasons why Wrangler and 4runner really all that fit the bill.

As far as size I'm 6' about 230-240. Shoulders are wide for sure. 46-48" chest. So I am not of a small frame.

OP
OP

freitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm 6', 225, 50" chest...so ya, I get it. Did you not notice the B pillar hitting your shoulder in the Jeep? It easily sticks out 3-4" into the cabin space where your shoulder is if your seat is pushed back a bit.

You must be a lot longer torso than me though for your head room to be an issue...assuming the seat in the 4Runner is down as far is it will go. I have fairly long legs though...36" inseam. My head's close to the roof, but not really an issue.

All of the stuff you mention sound like the 4Runner is a better choice.

Personally, I like to do trails that are going to require a front locker and the added durability of a solid axle as well as the control of the 4:1 tcase...so the Rubi is a better stock for stock vehicle for my uses. It sounds like you have different priorities and after having some kids over the holidays that needed car seats in the Rubicon...I'd go with the 4Runner based on that alone. Heck, I complain about having to squeeze in and out of the back seat/small rear doors anytime I have to sit back there.
Ha yeah I have short legs same height as you inseam 31" lol I'm all torso. Which makes it tough because seated looks like im 6'5" lol

Maybe the solution is TRD Pro with no sunroof. Just not sure how that would be as a daily vs a limited.

krucam

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra, 2019 JLR ordered 12/22/2018
Occupation
FAA
Stolen from Reddit:

The Toyota is tough, reliable and a beast off-road. Change the oil regularly and it will last forever. The jeep will get worse mpg, break often, be uncomfortable and is a beast off road.

The Toyota will move you and is probably a better vehicle. However, the jeep will move your soul. It's a tough decision. It's really win/win. The Toyota is like the wife always there, reliable, familiar. The jeep is the wild chick you met on spring break, you got wasted had crazy sex and she stole your wallet.
Sponsored