First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
So I took the Jeep in and was told I needed to have the rear axle replaced to fix the sensor issue. Service advisor says go ahead and drive it, it will fail to open not locked. Called back to confirm and was told not to put it in 4H or 4L cause it might lock up and not come out. Now I'm confused. Im driving the thing for a week before they can get me in, should I stay on the pavement or is it OK to go play?
Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
So I took the Jeep in and was told I needed to have the rear axle replaced to fix the sensor issue. Service advisor says go ahead and drive it, it will fail to open not locked. Called back to confirm and was told not to put it in 4H or 4L cause it might lock up and not come out. Now I'm confused. Im driving the thing for a week before they can get me in, should I stay on the pavement or is it OK to go play?
4wd and the lockers aren’t necessarily exclusive. Using 4wd won’t affect the lockers. If you need 4wd use it, just don’t use the lockers to try to appease them.

brett

OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Thanks for the link. Now I understand sort of how it all works. Not too happy FCA has such a known problem and continues to fix a $5 problem with a $2000 solution. Where do all the used axles go?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thanks for the link. Now I understand sort of how it all works. Not too happy FCA has such a known problem and continues to fix a $5 problem with a $2000 solution. Where do all the used axles go?
There’s a thread in the axle sub-forum about how to pot the sensors to keep it from happening again once you get the new axle. Yes it is unbelievable that you still can’t purchase this part or that they haven’t figured out how to seal them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My rear locker light keeps coming on as well. I'm still under warranty. Let's see how fast they opt to swap the sensor over the axle ;)

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
My rear locker light keeps coming on as well. I'm still under warranty. Let's see how fast they opt to swap the sensor over the axle ;)
Read the link in the OP. You cant simply swap the sensor...that part isn't available and would make too much sense. Only option is replace the whole axle assembly. :facepalm:

Last edited:

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
After I waited 2 months for an axle which was backordered, I just put an ARB air locker in mine.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
I think I recall someone here bought a kit from Mopar to connect the lockers to the aux switches to avoid the sensor problem.

Sponsored

jplusk

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
I am confused, Why are some replacing the whole axle or locker assembly when there is a sensor by-pass harness. https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z-locker-oem/
Because under warranty, Jeep will replace the axle on their dime. This is what I did because I couldn’t justify spending $180 with zautomotive for something Jeep should be fixing.

The more people who demand Jeep to fix this the sooner they will figure out how to replace just the sensor vs. the whole axle.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a link to a cheaper fix? That Mopar harness for $80 would add to the thread and help folks. I'd spend $80 in a heart beat to keep my rig out of the dealers hands. And how long is their replacement sensor going Last ?
Here:
https://www.moparpartsinc.com/p/Jee...bHLvCo1RHm0hyL22uAcJnU9OIY-JGL4hoCDwQQAvD_BwE

Yahoo! $180 for a resistor?
Well... it is not a resistor.. it is more complicated than that.. please refer to what I posted on another thread about this issue:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ailable-for-puchase.54531/page-4#post-1256842

Ok .. so... both solutions won't work the same way... the MOPAR harness simply provides power to the locker... you install a switch and BAM!... you control the locker manually with a switch .. the computer that controls the locker won't be aware of the status of the locker... Z Automotive device bypasses the sensor and tricks the computer into believing the locker is engaged.. whether the locker is truly engaged or not is not possible to know as the sensor has the unique capability to determine the status of the locker... more importantly ... the computer automatically disengages the locker if you go above 20 MPH .. that of course, won't happen if you manually control the lockers with switches..

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are handy and a cheap bastard like me.. buy the connectors from Aliexpress and make your own harness .. I only paid about $11 for two connectors..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33056457560.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.61614c4dH8zKlI

I had to remove one of the tabs on the connectors.. no idea why.. I upgraded my Sport with Gladiator Rubicon axles.. no idea why the connectors seem a bit different... anyway.. that is a cheap alternative
Sponsored