Sponsored

Rubicon Poll - Have you had problems with your locker sensors

Have you had "service axle locker" (locker sensor) problems on your Rubicon?

• Never had problem, but have under 15K miles on Jeep

• Never had problem, and have over 15K miles on Jeep

• Had the problem, while Jeep had less than 15K miles (not self inflicted)

• Had the problem, while Jeep had over 15K miles (not self inflicted)

• Had the problem, but it was self inflicted (stretched lines, etc)

• I potted my sensors, and don't have the problem since potting

Results are only viewable after voting.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I can't keep a working locker in the rear of my JLUR for nothing. I tend to get between 20,000 and 25,000 mile on my Jeep then need to fix it. Since you can't buy parts, this has mean buying new axles to get the parts. I put a new locker in in December and it has gone bad again. I will be switching to an ARB air locker soon. I am fed up with the stock locker.
Ted, have you thought about just going with the Tazer bypass harness, or has yours been more than just the sendor going bad?
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It would be interesting to see the results if the poll was limited to those that have actually used their lockers before.

1664230609161.png
I've used mine a great deal over the 67k mile life of my JL. In fact, I've used it in many situations where it really wasn't necessary, just for insurance. But mine is a very early production JL and I'm wondering if most of the parts in mine were made in the first batch where production was slow and quality control may have been better or at least more thorough. I do know the assembly line at Toledo wasn't up to full speed quite yet when mine was produced. Or, maybe I've just been lucky. Either way, I have a Tazer harness stored in my Jeep, just in case.

Renenal

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL 2-door Rubicon
Occupation
retired
22 JLR with no mods. no problems yet. 7800 miles.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Ted, have you thought about just going with the Tazer bypass harness, or has yours been more than just the sendor going bad?
I have three of the Taser bypass harness. One on each axle. and a spare. The last two locker failures have been this part. This part is on permeant back order. So to fix it, I would have to buy another full axle assembly to get the part at $2500. The new one lasted 9 months. It is a $400 dollar part, but I have to spend $2500 to get it. Makes me hate Dana axles.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Poll - Have you had problems with your locker sensors 1664276132046

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
That is hard to read, since you are one of the more experienced JL off-roaders here. I'm about to hit 17K miles, so far so good, but I'm about to do my second gear oil change. I keep on hoping that if I keep the metal shavings out I'll increase my chances - but that is just a hope and a prayer.
Just know I change the diff fluid often, as I also pull a camper on top of all the wheeling we do. I usually charge it every oil change when towing and wheeling.

I would like to think that it is caused by towing the camper, and it causing extra heat that may be breaking down the electrical parts, but the guys that typically wheel and travel with me are not having the same problems.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have three of the Taser bypass harness. One on each axle. and a spare. The last two locker failures have been this part. This part is on permeant back order. So to fix it, I would have to buy another full axle assembly to get the part at $2500. The new one lasted 9 months. It is a $400 dollar part, but I have to spend $2500 to get it. Makes me hate Dana axles.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Poll - Have you had problems with your locker sensors 1664276132046
Wow! What is that part?

omg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
yes, occasional cobwebs and i just to clean it by taking a leaf blower to it.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just know I change the diff fluid often, as I also pull a camper on top of all the wheeling we do. I usually charge it every oil change when towing and wheeling.

I would like to think that it is caused by towing the camper, and it causing extra heat that may be breaking down the electrical parts, but the guys that typically wheel and travel with me are not having the same problems.

Did you notice much (metal) in the magnet or fluid drained?

Heat is also an interesting theory. Maybe it is the heat that caused the plastic cover to allow oil in.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Did you notice much (metal) in the magnet or fluid drained?

Heat is also an interesting theory. Maybe it is the heat that caused the plastic cover to allow oil in.
No metal shavings in the diff fluid or the part.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

Here's an update to my situation: I crawled under the back of the Jeep yesterday just to see where the sensor was and what the lay of the land is, so to speak. Dealer will need to do any work, I only have 4,500 miles on it. Holy smokes, the connector is soaked with gear oil; that can't be good. Is this common with some of you? A leaky seal can't mean replacing the entire axle, no? Maybe just the sensor in my case?

tempImageq9Veyr.png

tempImagehVF5LD.png

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
haven’t been around here in a while, wanted to see if the zauto bypass harness is still a solution for this locker sensor issue.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

Update to my issue above: I made an appointment with my local dealer last month to bring it in mid-December, yeah, they're backed up. They took it in, watched my video (of the locker lights flashing) and checked out the oil leak. Diagnosis: Needs Rear Axle replaced. Now waiting on parts, which could take another week, then installation... Christmas week... Gonna' be a while...

Curcurt

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

While traveling on local interstate, the locker light started flashing on the dash, and my rear locker light was blinking. Have an appointment Jan 5th with a local dealer, but going wheeling after Christmas. I have a Z-Locker cable coming in next week. I can get the lockers to lock and unlock so they are still working. I have 25k on my 2021 JLU. I never had any issues while wheeling and this is my first trip to the dealership service dept.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
my rear sensor recently went out on my 2021 JLUR with under 15,000 miles.

Jeep dealer just replaced entire rear diff after finding metal shavings in it. Had the Jeep back in two weeks. Luckily everything was covered under warranty including loaner
Sponsored