Sponsored

Rubicon Poll - Have you had problems with your locker sensors

Have you had "service axle locker" (locker sensor) problems on your Rubicon?

• Never had problem, but have under 15K miles on Jeep

• Never had problem, and have over 15K miles on Jeep

• Had the problem, while Jeep had less than 15K miles (not self inflicted)

• Had the problem, while Jeep had over 15K miles (not self inflicted)

• Had the problem, but it was self inflicted (stretched lines, etc)

• I potted my sensors, and don't have the problem since potting

Results are only viewable after voting.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have had all the common sensors fail in the locker twice. I have also had the big magnet type sensor fail twice now.
Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Bump

I just changed my old vote, because I am now way over 15000 miles.

Still haven't had an issue, but I'm gonna order me that bypass harness for good measure.

Honestly, I'd hold on to it.

Let me know if you do though!
400% of the folks who had this problem vote (3/4 weren't members of this forum but after the failure joined just to vote and vent).

only 1 in 20 in this forum who haven't had the problem voted, yet 80% haven't had the problem and less than 10% have.

The squeaky sensor gets the potting. Anecdotes on stilts.

I'm not voiding my warranty by potting. After my warranty expires, I'm not potting because you can now buy new sensors.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
What seems to be causing this failure? I have been in very deep mud, very deep water, 30 degrees or more pitch and roll, banging and dragging the diffs, etc. Iā€™m kinda concerned I havenā€™t had the issue! šŸ˜¬

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What seems to be causing this failure? I have been in very deep mud, very deep water, 30 degrees or more pitch and roll, banging and dragging the diffs, etc. Iā€™m kinda concerned I havenā€™t had the issue! šŸ˜¬
Consensus is that oil with some metal shavings contaminant seeps into the sensor and shorts out the circuit.

This is less of a concern now, as now there is a kit to fix it. You get a bunch of sensors in the kit and try one after another until one works, per service bulletin.

Prior to that, Jeep would order you a whole new axle which is always backordered to fix the problem. And if you had regeared or had some other mods, they might refuse to warranty it.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Consensus is that oil with some metal shavings contaminant seeps into the sensor and shorts out the circuit.

This is less of a concern now, as now there is a kit to fix it. You get a bunch of sensors in the kit and try one after another until one works, per service bulletin.

Prior to that, Jeep would order you a whole new axle which is always backordered to fix the problem. And if you had regeared or had some other mods, they might refuse to warranty it.
Thanks Cat; thatā€™s good news! My sensor-paranoia level has dropped, thanks to you. Iā€™m also thinking itā€™s likely the OEM has redesigned the leaky sensors as well.

Sponsored

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

They are still replacing the entire rear axle, happened to me a couple months ago and dealer replaced the entire thing. Maybe mine was worse, but the only symptom I had was oil seeping out of the sensor and the lights on the dash flashing. Locker still worked fine.

Reactions: J0E

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
400% of the folks who had this problem vote (3/4 weren't members of this forum but after the failure joined just to vote and vent).

only 1 in 20 in this forum who haven't had the problem voted, yet 80% haven't had the problem and less than 10% have.

The squeaky sensor gets the potting. Anecdotes on stilts.

I'm not voiding my warranty by potting. After my warranty expires, I'm not potting because you can now buy new sensors.
It doesnā€™t do any thing as long as they keep using the same sensor.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
because you can now buy new sensors.
part number? I am at 69,000 mi and the dealer that was ordering my new rear axle at 59,000 dropped the ball. Trying to get them to honor their previous obligation to fix it/replace axle/sensor kit.

Jeep Wick

First Name
Wick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Tide
Occupation
Mechanic
part number? I am at 69,000 mi and the dealer that was ordering my new rear axle at 59,000 dropped the ball. Trying to get them to honor their previous obligation to fix it/replace axle/sensor kit.
68544629AA
There is one kit on eBay for $208 right now.
Poll shows 1 in 6 have this problem, I thought it would be higher but then I just started having it at 39k.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
As of today 50,000klm no issues at all.

Sponsored

23katiek

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
My rubicons been in the shop for 90 days. I got jeep on the case after 30 days it got escalated at 40 days due to lemon lawsā€¦ we are approaching 90 days and hereā€™s what I learned

There are two different axles made for the 23 rubiconsā€¦one is equipped to handle the electrical components and one is notā€¦. Long story short my jeep has the wrong axel which is setting off the lockers and the dash and nothings fixing it..

New axle on order. Letā€™s hope it fixes itā€¦.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mine got the issue somewhere around 75k, I think. I'll go over the fun I've had with this soon, but the ZAuto bypass works beautifully and well enough that I may just leave it alone.
Sponsored