Sponsored

Light Switch Dimmers. What does this do!!!?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
What on earth does the Wheel to the LEFT Do? I know the right is for the Instrument Cluster and Interior Lights. When I move the other one I don't see anything happening LOL.

IMG_5742.JPG
Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
It's a light dimmer for the inside floor lights..."mood" lighting. You'll have to adjust it at night.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So if you have a trim level with the ambient lighting, it is very noticeable as it dims the floor lighting. On lower trim levels without the floor lighting, the only thing it does is dim the lights in the door handles.

Yes there are lights there and yes the wheel does work...you just have to have the lights and the other wheel in the right spot. I have a Sport S (no floor lighting) and I have to have the headlights on (either manually on with the switch or when the automatic lights kicks on) and the right wheel has to be below both of the top detents. To clarify, the right wheel when rolled all the way to the top (the top detent) turns on the dome light. You roll it down to the second detent and all the gauges and radio are at max brightness. Then you roll it down past the second detent and you can adjust the brightness of the gauges and radio. This is where the lights in the handle of the lower trim levels comes on and then the left wheel adjusts the brightness of these.

Keep in mind that it’s not a huge change...almost not even worth putting in IMO...but I’m sure they did it so they could put the same switch in every JL. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
RubenZ

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
So if you have a trim level with the ambient lighting, it is very noticeable as it dims the floor lighting. On lower trim levels without the floor lighting, the only thing it does is dim the lights in the door handles.

Yes there are lights there and yes the wheel does work...you just have to have the lights and the other wheel in the right spot. I have a Sport S (no floor lighting) and I have to have the headlights on (either manually on with the switch or when the automatic lights kicks on) and the right wheel has to be below both of the top detents. To clarify, the right wheel when rolled all the way to the top (the top detent) turns on the dome light. You roll it down to the second detent and all the gauges and radio are at max brightness. Then you roll it down past the second detent and you can adjust the brightness of the gauges and radio. This is where the lights in the handle of the lower trim levels comes on and then the left wheel adjusts the brightness of these.

Keep in mind that it’s not a huge change...almost not even worth putting in IMO...but I’m sure they did it so they could put the same switch in every JL. Hope this helps!
Ya thats why I thought maybe it was just a filler switch LOL. Because when I moved it I didn't notice anything. I did notice one time a bigger change with some of the lighting when like you mentioned I had the right switch on the right spot. I guess I'll just mess with it more. And I have a Regular SPORT. maybe I should tie it into like a CARGO area light

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@RubenZ; it took me a while to finally figure out the magic combination. So I thought it was filler for while too...there have been a few other threads on the forum about that switch and even then, it took me a bit to get it right...

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I own a 2021 Wrangler JL EcoDiesel Willys sport with the 5-in screen, manual doors, manual windows, all the boring stuff.

The left side ambient lighting wheel literally does nothing. I just went out side @8:40pm Central, and mess with it. The cup holder and door handle light are both adjusted by the right side dash and interior lighting adjustment wheel. I do not have floor lighting, if I did maybe those would be adjusted by the ambient lighting wheel.

Not sure if they just wired up mine wrong, but the right side wheel is the all inclusive interior lighting wheel, and the left side wheel is just there to make you feel special. Like everyone else said, my Jeep came with a free toggle switch outside of the auxiliary switches I already have, I'll have to wire something in to it later

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Some 2021 vehicles built during the chip shortage were silently shipped without two features. One was the floor dimmer switch which you're discussing now. (You should see the lights dimming/undimming in your footwell as you twirl that knob.) Connected to all of this is another issue, the auto-dimming feature of your rear-view mirror.

I had first suspected that my rear-view mirror was not auto-dimming (when enabled in uConnect). I followed up with my dealer on this issue, they confirmed it, and with a service appointment, the function was restored as an in-warranty repair. The dimmer switch function starting working along with the (now) auto-dimming rear view mirror. Something to do with needing the right wiring harness, I'm told.

If you believe those feature(s) aren't working in your 2021 Wrangler, and you'd like to get that fixed, work with your dealer to confirm a diagnosis and to complete the repair. Or if it's no big thing, it's no big thing.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: LCW

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
It's a light dimmer for the inside floor lights..."mood" lighting. You'll have to adjust it at night.
I wonder how difficult it would be to change all the mood lights to red 🤔

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Some 2021 vehicles built during the chip shortage were silently shipped without two features. One was the floor dimmer switch which you're discussing now. (You should see the lights dimming/undimming in your footwell as you twirl that knob.) Connected to all of this is another issue, the auto-dimming feature of your rear-view mirror.
Hmm. That explains why floor dimmer switch does nothing on my '21 JLUSS, but on my wife's '20 JLUSS is controls the lights in the door handles (neither have the auto-dimming mirror). Not that they make much of a difference! I like the idea of adding floor lighting and controlling it with that dimmer, if that's possible. I'll have to look into that more!

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR