Leaking oil

Sracht

First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S
Sounds like a lot of dealerships are putting 6 quarts of oil in these engines when doing the routine oil change, but the JL's take 5 quarts. This is what happened to me, and in my case, my dealership is so incredibly obtuse that they are still INSISTING that it takes 6 quarts even after I sent pics of the dipstick showing high oil and the owners manual showing it takes 5 quarts. They actually suggested this morning that I may have the wrong dipstick or that it may have leaks (??) because there's no possible way they are wrong about JL's needing 6 quarts of oil.
It sounds like a lot of dealerships are treating the JL's the same way. The JK's take 6 quarts of oil, but the JL's only take 5, and the dealerships just never bothered to change their procedures with the new JL's. So a lot of Jeeps are probably running really high on oil.
I'm no mechanic, but I've read a few places that running engines on too much oil can cause engine problems such as busted seals. Not sure if this is true or not, but I'm just curious if your issue could have resulted from having an oil change where they put over a quart extra oil in?
Sponsored

Blizzy

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I'm getting an LKQ/re-manufactured engine put into mine as we speak, The rear main seal isn't due in until 6/30 since FCA hasn't started producing the part yet...is there any truth to this or have y'all gotten your jeeps back sooner?

jtlarson5

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
I'm getting an LKQ/re-manufactured engine put into mine as we speak, The rear main seal isn't due in until 6/30 since FCA hasn't started producing the part yet...is there any truth to this or have y'all gotten your jeeps back sooner?
How did you go about getting a new engine? Mine has been leaking since April but they keep telling me the part is on back order. I checked this weekend and the newest update is in stock by 7/12.

Blizzy

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
How did you go about getting a new engine? Mine has been leaking since April but they keep telling me the part is on back order. I checked this weekend and the newest update is in stock by 7/12.
I ended up calling FCA/Jeep wave a week or so after i posted this. I called them direct and they had the part to the dealer within 2 days. For whatever reason most dealers aren't getting a hold of FCA just waiting until the part is in stock for the masses.

My situation is a bit different, my factory engine block broke...they told me water in the intake, my jeep was never in any deep water :mad:

Long story short Give FCA a call, give them the part number, just verify with the dealer (it should be 68421850AA, this is the rear main seal #)

Good Luck!

# to call: 844-533-7829

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler JL
Thanks for the reply; it was a pretty big leak; the Jeep has been at the dealer so wouldn't be able to tell you the quantity but it was significant. Once the engine fired up, it would start dripping. I've owned many vehicles throughout my life and have never had any transmission or engine replaced; I always maintain them (mostly myself unless they are under warranty then only the dealer touches them) so this caught me off guard. At 9,500, one would hardly figure that such a leak would be present; the dealer gave me a rental so I'll be using that for now. I do not blame the dealer; I blame FCA. How can the dealer and even JeepCares do anything when FCA doesn't even have its own parts in stock? My Harley has proven more reliable at this point.

I am surprised that there are so many posts of leaking fluids on these Jeeps; from oil to coolant. The reality is that, this should not be happening;

Sorry bro, I'm dealing with the same thing. 1st dealership denied my warranty on june 15 after keeping it for a week due to "excessive dirt".. called jeep cares and they were like "nope, sorry cant help you". My JL had 1500 miles when I dropped it off and was 1 month old! Totally not right. Kept it home for a week and decided to take it to another jeep who has had it since the 6/22. He also confirmed its the RMS. The tech is awesome but just let me know that the part is on backorder until 7/24! By then I've paid 3 car payments for a jeep I haven't had. Oh and, I'm currently in a POS beat up 2017 toyota corolla... I'm furious that jeep cares legit did not "care". This definitely has me feeling all sorts of ways about jeep and ever purchasing another one in the future. I'm currently waiting for a call back from tech to either put me in another jeep or give me mine back till the part arrives. My poor baby is sitting in the lot getting dirty and beat by the sun. Total BS. How is this not a recall yet?

Sponsored

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler JL
1000 miles on my 19 jl sport s. they are tearing the engine down right now to find the leak.
Mine was at 1300. Its been a nightmare. My jl has been sitting at the dealer waiting on the rear main seal for almost 2 months now. (Since june 17.) They didnt want to take care of it under warranty either because of "excessive dirt". Theres no way I'm paying for a rental, labor and parts after this long. Its crazy. Our advisor at the dealership has been so good and really fought for us as well. The jeep is brand new. I bought is at the end of April. After a lot of back and forth and getting a lemon law lawyer lined up, they just told me yesterday it will be taken care of. Pretty ridiculous and an awful 1st experience with there customer service. I love my jeep but I'm feeling like fca doesn't back their products. They're quick to blame the consumers based on my experience and what I've read/heard. ... I'm just relieved it's going to be taken care of under warranty. But after 40+ days having my jeep sitting here, I'll be keeping all my documents and lemon law lawyer on speed dial if something else goes wrong. Good luck bro.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
LOL UPDATE

So they said they think it’s just residual oil....

They had me send them the photo and are wanting to keep it overnight and drive it tomorrow after cleaning it and check it again.

I said I’m fine with that.

Not sure how in the heck that could be residual oil from 5k miles ago LOL

Plus after hitting trails and the beaches I always crawl under it and spray it down and I’ve never seen that before..

At any rate, I’ll just have to keep an eye on it if they end up sticking with that story. The one thing in their defense is I park it in a garage that you could eat off the floor in and I honestly have never seen a spec of oil on the floor.

I had them remove my Falcon 2.2 Fast Adjust and do the recall with the new steering damper and adjust the drag link.

I hate to see the Falcon go but honestly it started to feel the same loose steering again so I just said yeah go ahead. At least they put it in a box so I could potentially return it if I want to.. not sure how I’ll do that though as it’s been like 6 months since I purchased it lol

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler JL
LOL UPDATE

So they said they think it’s just residual oil....

They had me send them the photo and are wanting to keep it overnight and drive it tomorrow after cleaning it and check it again.

I said I’m fine with that.

Not sure how in the heck that could be residual oil from 5k miles ago LOL

Plus after hitting trails and the beaches I always crawl under it and spray it down and I’ve never seen that before..

At any rate, I’ll just have to keep an eye on it if they end up sticking with that story. The one thing in their defense is I park it in a garage that you could eat off the floor in and I honestly have never seen a spec of oil on the floor.

I had them remove my Falcon 2.2 Fast Adjust and do the recall with the new steering damper and adjust the drag link.

I hate to see the Falcon go but honestly it started to feel the same loose steering again so I just said yeah go ahead. At least they put it in a box so I could potentially return it if I want to.. not sure how I’ll do that though as it’s been like 6 months since I purchased it lol

How does the damper? Do you notice a difference?

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t gotten the rig back yet. They want to keep it until tomorrow and drive it and see if there are any RMS leaks before they give it back.

I am excited to see if this new damper is worth a poop though!

One thing I do know is this brand new Dodge Ram Longhorn edition they gave me is badass! I want one now lol

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update the damper has improved steering. More responsive. It reduced the dead spot in the steering wheel. Noticed I said reduced. So there is still a dead spot just a smaller ranger of motion.

They stuck with the “there is no RMS leak” story. Still not sure where the oil came from. It clearly looks like an RMS leak in the photo (which they have a copy of). So, so far no leak, they cleaned the area and oil has not returned.. Weirdest thing. I guess I’ll just keep an eye on it. They had my Jeep for 3 days.

Bdaisy22

First Name
Daisy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL SAHARA
1000 miles on my 19 jl sport s. they are tearing the engine down right now to find the leak.
mine wad at 340 miles when I first took it in for the coolant leak had to take it in two other separate times after the "fix" to find the coolant leak.

Nitrothisbro

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Anyone experiencing this issue? Any tips?
Jeep Wrangler JL Leaking oil 7B319663-107A-4482-8405-0E7C8FD3519D
Jeep Wrangler JL Leaking oil 7B319663-107A-4482-8405-0E7C8FD3519D
I had the same oil leak at the same spot. Plus a transmission problem of my 2019 JLU Rubi. Had to take to the deal this morning. Still waiting for response from the dealer.

Have the problem appeared again for you jeep after fixing the rear main seal ?

BSw

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - 2015 Ford Mustang - 2018 Volvo S90
We had our second oil leak at the rear main seal starting last week, have an appointment scheduled next week, Curious what the battle will look like this time since last time they gave us a hard time and it took forever to have it fixed under warranty
Sponsored