Sponsored

My JLUR is leaking oil

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've been riding my bike to work and drive my 18 JLUR on the weekends. I drove the jeep on a short errand and then I noticed it was leaking oil all of a sudden because oil was underneath it on the floor

I have the lifetime maxcare warranty so I'm hoping it's covered 🙏

I had a apt at the dealer to drop it off Tuesday at 8:20am and they said they won't be able to look at it til Thursday.

They said it's $180 to diagnose it but if it's covered I'll just have to pay my lifetime maxcare deductible which is $100. I should find out today.

Do you think that this something that's normally covered under warranty?

Cliffs in the story

I dropped off my jeep on the 7th

I made an appointment and they said if I drop it off on the 7th they'll look at it on the 9th so around 10:30 am on the 9th they call me and tell me about the 2 leaks and they'll order the parts.

I wait a week for the parts to come in, they said the tech isn't there Friday the 17th that it'll be done that Monday on the 19th. I call on the 19th and was messaged this

" The technician is trying to finish up an engine today if he does he should have your vehicle ready to go Thursday end of day or worst-case Friday"

it was supposed to be ready by end of day Friday which they said friday, but now they say Tuesday because they have to order the sealant for the gasket. F$%^ this dealer sucks

Well I called Tuesday to see if it's ready and they told me my service advisor was on a call he'll call me back, he never called me.

so I called today Wednesday and they said my service advisor isn't there today he's off Wednesdays, I told them have a manager call me back.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I've been riding my bike to work and drive my 18 JLUR on the weekends. I drove the jeep on a short errand and then I noticed it was leaking oil all of a sudden because oil was underneath it on the floor

I had a apt at the dealer to drop it off Tuesday at 8:20am and they said they won't be able to look at it til Thursday.

They said it's $180 to diagnose it but if it's covered I'll just have to pay my lifetime maxcare deductible which is $100. I should find out today.

What engine do you have? And under what area of the Jeep was the oil leaking?

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
3.6L, it looked like the top of the filter housing area.
Yep, this is where I was headed. Common thing on the 3.6. Lube shops crack the oil filter/oil cooler housing when they crank down the oil filter on replacement fairly commonly. Got a real light 25nm torque spec. Not a horrible job to replace if you're mechanically inclined, just tedious. Problem right now is probably parts availability.

who changed the oil last?????????
If a shop did it, probably they busted the housing.

Sponsored

demarpaint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Rubicon 2008 Liberty 88 E-150
Most likely it's the oil cooler/filter housing assembly. My only concern would be if it is that part, they don't try and blame the last person who changed the oil for over-torquing it, and deny the claim. If the dealer changed the oil last then you have no worries, especially if they're the dealer you bought it from. If it's a valve cover gasket or something else no worries then.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Ut oh.
Warranties generally avoid stuff like leaks. I looked at the web information on Maxcare and didn't see anything on this particular component (oil filter housing). But, I'm guessing this would be a discretionary area for the dealer. Best of luck.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Yep, this is where I was headed. Common thing on the 3.6. Lube shops crack the oil filter/oil cooler housing when they crank down the oil filter on replacement fairly commonly. Got a real light 25nm torque spec. Not a horrible job to replace if you're mechanically inclined, just tedious. Problem right now is probably parts availability.

If a shop did it, probably they busted the housing.
Unfortunately the oil filter housings on the 3.6 just leak, its a poor design. Whats worse is they try and tell you that you cracked it to get you to pay for it. Look on here, youtube its really bad how they are taking advantage of people.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
It can be caused by over tightening the oil filter cap, but there have also been many defective oil cooler housings. This problem started back in 2014, with the updated housing and oil filter. The problem still continues today, even though there has been many revised housings.

OP
OP
Jeepsmashin

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just got a call from the dealer and they said it's leaking from the transmission oil pan gasket and oil cooler lines. It's covered under the maxcare warranty and also the regular warranty. I'll just have to pay my $100 deductible. 🙏

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I just got a call from the dealer and they said it's leaking from the transmission oil pan gasket and oil cooler lines. It's covered under the maxcare warranty and also the regular warranty. I'll just have to pay my $100 deductible. 🙏
Was the leaked oil like a greenish color (8 & 9 speed ATF is greenish instead of reddish like older ATF)? ATF usually stinks to high heaven and is usually a pretty different color than engine oil, if it looked and smelled like engine oil to you, I'm a little worried they may have misdiagnosed.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
If it’s covered under the 5 yr drivetrain warranty why would you have to pay a deductible?

OP
OP
Jeepsmashin

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Was the leaked oil like a greenish color (8 & 9 speed ATF is greenish instead of reddish like older ATF)? ATF usually stinks to high heaven and is usually a pretty different color than engine oil, if it looked and smelled like engine oil to you, I'm a little worried they may have misdiagnosed.
It doesn't look like transmission oil it looks more like oil engine oil

If it’s covered under the 5 yr drivetrain warranty why would you have to pay a deductible?
They said one thing was covered by the mopar warranty and one wss covered by the standard warranty

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You didn’t bother to look at it yourself first? They probably added the oil cooler lines to get you to pay more.
Sponsored