Kinetic rope?

rdfact

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURXR, '01 WJ
That rope looks like it had been over used/abused for awhile. Taped up sections indicating prior damage. At least it was his truck that got damaged as that thing should have been removed from use, let alone used to teach a class. Kinetic recovery is likely more dangerous than winching due to the forces involved. You are creating a slingshot using two 5k+ pound vehicles. A 7/8" rope has ~30k lb break strength, that force goes somewhere when it breaks. My 1.25" rope has a 54k lb break strength, of course there will be damage if it is abused until failure. A new windshield alone costs 4x what I paid for my rope, replace it when it shows signs of wear.
Thatā€™s not tape, itā€™s a sleeve to protect the rope. But the sleeve was a bit frayed as well. That rope has certainly seen lots of use.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Thatā€™s not tape, itā€™s a sleeve to protect the rope. But the sleeve was a bit frayed as well. That rope has certainly seen lots of use.
The sleeve is shredded so bad it looks like tape, that thing was definitely on its way out.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Amazing Amazon. Ordered yesterday, arrived this afternoon. It's a little beefier than I was expecting and it does stink a bit. Comes with a heavy duty mesh duffle bag w/velcro 'zipper'. And it's made in USA.

Jeep Wrangler JL Kinetic rope? IMG_3804
Jeep Wrangler JL Kinetic rope? IMG_3802

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR

Cyber_Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Itā€™s interesting comparing kinetic recovery ropes to climbing ropes. Climbers have been using dynamic (stretchy) ropes for decades now. But because the consequences of a rope failure can mean death, they are much more strict in retiring ropes.

Ropes that have taken a heavy fall, or heavy use for a year, or is over ten years old, regardless of whether itā€™s been used or not, should be retired. You should also inspect your rope frequently for wear and damage. If there is any doubt, throw it away.

I donā€™t think that we need to be quite as strict as the climbing community, but after seeing some pictures and stories here I bet we can learn a little bit.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Iā€™m already second guessing my selection of rope diameter. Here is a pic of the tag that came on the rope. Fine print says the breaking strength should be 3.5-4 times the vehicle being recovered. My Jeep is well under 5K. Wondering if 7/8in is too ā€˜stiffā€™? Iā€™m surmising my Jeep will be at one of the ends of this rope.

A7E37AB9-4C27-404E-B62A-7536F848B510.jpeg

Iā€™m also on a quest to minimize my content weight and volume so going to a 3/4in rope might make more sense? Anyone want to try to talk me out of exchanging it and save myself about $65?

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Most kinetic rope manufacturers recommend not going too big as a light vehicle won't stretch the rope enough for it to really work properly. That said, I went 30' 1.25" figure the extra length should help with the amount of stretch I can get out of it. Used it a couple dozen times over the years without issue. It's probably 10 years old and works like new still.
If it doesn't have much drag, what difference does it make. I've done over 20 hard pulls with my 20 foot 1.25" Bubba and it stretches fine.

I have a 30ā€™ rope because I can always shorten up a 30ā€™ but canā€™t lengthen a 20ā€™ rope
15 feet with a 7/8 would yank harder than 20 foot double size (1.25"), only 15' to stretch. I have 80 feet on my 12K superWinch and three 30' tow straps. Obviously you can't yank with anything but a Kinetic rope.

Here's how I have it mounted now.
Jeep Wrangler JL Kinetic rope? 2023-01-29 11.26.23

Jeep Wrangler JL Kinetic rope? 2023-01-29 11.26.37

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Iā€™m already second guessing my selection of rope diameter. Here is a pic of the tag that came on the rope. Fine print says the breaking strength should be 3.5-4 times the vehicle being recovered. My Jeep is well under 5K. Wondering if 7/8in is too ā€˜stiffā€™? Iā€™m surmising my Jeep will be at one of the ends of this rope.

Iā€™m also on a quest to minimize my content weight and volume so going to a 3/4in rope might make more sense? Anyone want to try to talk me out of exchanging it and save myself about $65?
I've got the Bubba 1-1/4", 20 foot, and as previously posted, I've done over 20 really hard yanks in my JLR. First was the mud bogged JT where a winch would only pull my rig to the bog. A 30 foot rope would have worked fine there. The other was a flipped on side TJ that I had to yank really hard over 20 times.

I'm convinced either pull would have broken a 7/8" Bubba.

Lots of lessor yanks and it's much smoother than even a 4 MPH yank with my 4" tow strap.

Yes, no metal was used. Soft shackles at both ends. The damage was caused by the kinetic rope. It broke about 2-3 feet from the tow vehicle.
Everyone has made the assumption it's a 7/8" rope? Is that right? If so, find a better class.

Here's @wibornz breaking his 7/8" rope, and he wasn't stuck that bad.

Itā€™s interesting comparing kinetic recovery ropes to climbing ropes. Climbers have been using dynamic (stretchy) ropes for decades now. But because the consequences of a rope failure can mean death, they are much more strict in retiring ropes.

Ropes that have taken a heavy fall, or heavy use for a year, or is over ten years old, regardless of whether itā€™s been used or not, should be retired. You should also inspect your rope frequently for west and damage. If there is any doubt, throw it away.

I donā€™t think that we need to be quite as strict as the climbing community, but after seeing some pictures and stories here I bet we can learn a little bit.
I remember that from my climbing days, the key being heavy fall. I'm no materials expert, but I'm sure anything less than half BS doesn't do much damage. Anything over 75% BS does damage, and the damage increases with at least the square of the increase.

That's why I'm astounded someone would use a 7/8" rope for training. How old was that rope?

Last edited:

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
Kinetic ropes are good for yanking someone out, not great for towing, (but can work tho).
Tow straps are good for...towing, def not for yanking someone out.

Winch needs its own set of recovery items like you mentioned. Snatch block, etc.

My biggest takeaway from years of watching Matt's OffRoad Recovery channel is that winches RARELY get used. They almost never winch. When they do it's a really complex recovery.
I have watched MORR for long time as well. Early days he hardly winched - not so much now they winch a lot more now with the Badlands winch on both the Morvair and Banana

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Kinetic ropes are good for yanking someone out, not great for towing, (but can work tho).
Tow straps are good for...towing, def not for yanking someone out.

Winch needs its own set of recovery items like you mentioned. Snatch block, etc.

My biggest takeaway from years of watching Matt's OffRoad Recovery channel is that winches RARELY get used. They almost never winch. When they do it's a really complex recovery.
Response

I have watched MORR for long time as well. Early days he hardly winched - not so much now they winch a lot more now with the Badlands winch on both the Morvair and Banana
He's driven by entertainment, not the optimal approach. Where's the entertainment in a slow steady winch? He's 1,000 times better dry recovery expert than me, but his snow recoveries are comical . I guess chaining up and slowly pulling with a non-kinetic strap wouldn't be dramatic enough. It's better to get the snow cat out in 6" of snow.

I watch all his videos and they are entertaining. Too many reverse pulls, too many trailer hitch hook ups for me.

I've only had to use the kinetic line twice and the winch countless times. I've used the kinetic a few times for tandem pulls long distances. That's where a 7/8" rope would be arguably better, but even with my 1-1/4", there's barely perceptible jerking.

I'll post an interesting winch recovery in a couple weeks. Difficult pull where you get the 2nd anchor vehicle connected for free, that is zero time to connect anchor rig.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

When you are unfortunate enough not to have another vehicle around your winch is worth its weight in gold.

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Never mind. Iā€™m sticking with the 7/8in after doing some more researching/listening. Now I can sleep well tonight. Really appreciate everyonesā€™ comments. Thank you.

Plan d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 jlur xr
If it doesn't have much drag, what difference does it make. I've done over 20 hard pulls with my 20 foot 1.25" Bubba and it stretches fine.

15 feet with a 7/8 would yank harder than 20 foot double size (1.25"), only 15' to stretch. I have 80 feet on my 12K superWinch and three 30' tow straps. Obviously you can't yank with anything but a Kinetic rope.

With a X shackle you can adjust the length to whatā€™s needed. Not just double-up.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager

What is the wooden dowel rod for?