Sponsored

Keyfob now 30% smaller!

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
IMHO, I'd rather have the smallest possible fob and just have the key on my key chain along with it. I'm all about reducing bulk in my front jeans' pocket. While the new design is definitely convenient, with the key sliding out of the fob, that newer fob is still way too big for me when compared to the smallest one they make.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I should have waited!
@JLUandCJ-7

It will probably be a few months before you will see the Model S+ shipping... and highly doubtful it will have a gasket and be submersible lets say.. I am not testing the S+.

For sure if I were you, I would have purchased the Model S as you did, versus going months and months with that clunker, stock fob...

You will enjoy your Model S immensely and down the road when the S+ is available, you will be able to sell your Model S (on this forum) for say $10 less then you paid for it. Used at a decent price It will sell easily/quickly. Then turn around and buy the Model S+.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Then... while I'm busy adding things to my wish list here, maybe AirTag integration as well?
I have a spare Samsung SmartTag that I've been considering popping open to see if I can more easily attach it to my Roku remote (damn kids...) but this would be a great use for it.

The Samsung SmartTags are more limited in that they're only within Bluetooth range, but could still be useful. I think it can actually sound an alert if it gets too far from my phone...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMHO, I'd rather have the smallest possible fob and just have the key on my key chain along with it. I'm all about reducing bulk in my front jeans' pocket. While the new design is definitely convenient, with the key sliding out of the fob, that newer fob is still way too big for me when compared to the smallest one they make.
@AnebuR

Over the last few months... since Jan., I have tested / worked with a few DI labs, lets call it beta fobs.

I beat them up and I mean beat them up bad and did so intentionally.

I promised the one owner of DI Labs (Carl, he is a Gladiator owner) that I would give the fobs a through testing/beating so as to uncover any and all shortcomings... Well, I did that and reported all to DI Labs... and DI labs listened every time...

Anyway, I used the different fob models.... In the end I have settled in with 2 as my keepers .

I have a buttonless Mini and a 4 button Model S. BOTH are slick as chitt....

To be honest the Model S is only a tad bigger (I think 5% bigger then the Model M.

Both fobs are tiny tiny and weigh so little... They are very easy to assemble and not problematic.... and no Achilles heels lets call it.

What a pleasure to have/use they are. So worth the few $ they cost... (No, I did not pay for mine ..... my reward for testing was 2 fobs)

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I like having the key separate from the fob for things like valet. They can take my car, but at least they won't be able to get under the hood (I have a Bolt Hood Lock).

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh my.... it's not waterproof....... that stock fob.... it is barely water resistant.

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! 102820-surfer

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
@AnebuR

Over the last few months... since Jan., I have tested / worked with a few DI labs, lets call it beta fobs.

I beat them up and I mean beat them up bad and did so intentionally.

I promised the one owner of DI Labs (Carl, he is a Gladiator owner) that I would give the fobs a through testing/beating so as to uncover any and all shortcomings... Well, I did that and reported all to DI Labs... and DI labs listened every time...

Anyway, I used the different fob models.... In the end I have settled in with 2 as my keepers .

I have a buttonless Mini and a 4 button Model S. BOTH are slick as chitt....

To be honest the Model S is only a tad bigger (I think 5% bigger then the Model M.

Both fobs are tiny tiny and weigh so little... They are very easy to assemble and not problematic.... and no Achilles heels lets call it.

What a pleasure to have/use they are. So worth the few $ they cost... (No, I did not pay for mine ..... my reward for testing was 2 fobs)
One thing I'd suggest is that they offer the fobs in OEM Jeep colors. Would be cool to have a fob that matched the exterior of my Jeep. I'm sure people would even pay a bit extra for that option.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing I'd suggest is that they offer the fobs in OEM Jeep colors. Would be cool to have a fob that matched the exterior of my Jeep. I'm sure people would even pay a bit extra for that option.
@AnebuR

From what I gather the 3D manufacturing process they use does not allow exact color matching like that so, not doable.

Reactions: DC3

DC3

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT EcoDiesel, 22 Polestar
Occupation
Engineer
@AnebuR

From what I gather the 3D manufacturing process they use does not allow exact color matching like that so, not doable.
@Rhinebeck01 is right, we can get really close but we don't have fine-tuned color control for consistent color matching. I decided not to go down the path of color matching, we'd just be setting ourselves up for failure and complaints. We have the latest and most advanced color printing but it's just not there yet for accurate color matching.

We'll keep pushing the technology and developing new designs, watertight is on our list >> probably next for the fobs. We have other cool things cooking too. I own a Gladiator and have had several models of Jeeps and Jeep Wranglers, along with a family '57 Willys.

It is really enjoyable to be a part of the community and to receive all the critical feedback (good and bad). We listened closely to the beta testers and take feedback seriously. This project started with solving my fob problem and has expanded as a matter of solving the problem for others, using thoughtful design and advanced 3D printing is a passion project of ours, for sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 is right, we can get really close but we don't have fine-tuned color control for consistent color matching. I decided not to go down the path of color matching, we'd just be setting ourselves up for failure and complaints. We have the latest and most advanced color printing but it's just not there yet for accurate color matching.

We'll keep pushing the technology and developing new designs, watertight is on our list >> probably next for the fobs. We have other cool things cooking too. I own a Gladiator and have had several models of Jeeps and Jeep Wranglers, along with a family '57 Willys.

It is really enjoyable to be a part of the community and to receive all the critical feedback (good and bad). We listened closely to the beta testers and take feedback seriously. This project started with solving my fob problem and has expanded as a matter of solving the problem for others, using thoughtful design and advanced 3D printing is a passion project of ours, for sure.
I'm up for beta testing if you need more testers.

Reactions: DC3

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@JLUandCJ-7

DI Labs fobs are not water proof. You cannot submerge them, etc.. but you can't do that with the stock fob either.
Well that's a little scary. If I take my Freedom Top off, I put the key fob between the two cup holders. If it rains it'll get wet. Am I doing it rong?

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If they release one that's waterproof (IP67 at least), I'll buy one. :)