First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Some of us keep tools and stuff back there, you know. If I could get the RF recognizer thingie to detect the fob while it's on the roof, I'd be golden. For now, I have to take the Freedom panels off, drop the fob inside the detectable range, start the Jeep, and then I stow the key on top of the roof. I'm not sure how the guys with roof-top tents pull it off. They must keep the fob on a trailer or something.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Do any of you that have switched fobs have the passive entry thing or whatever its called. Keyless entry I guess? I really want a smaller fob, but IIRC I read on an old thread that the keyless entry feature made swapping fob shells much more difficult.

Edit: @N8213 I'll give you $30 for the titanium fob. $35 if you have to hand-whittle the titanium.

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Do any of you that have switched fobs have the passive entry thing or whatever its called. Keyless entry I guess? I really want a smaller fob, but IIRC I read on an old thread that the keyless entry feature made swapping fob shells much more difficult.

Edit: @N8213 I'll give you $30 for the titanium fob. $35 if you have to hand-whittle the titanium.
I'm about to add the passive entry.

All the bits in the old fob came out, but you have to be really careful with the RFID block that is in there. It is hard-planted, and you don't want to damage it taking it out. Here's a good video.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DHW

Having Proximity on your JL is not an issue at all. I have proximity on my JL and am a tester and user of the DI Labs fobs. Been working with / using DI Labs fobs for about 6 mo. now.

All you do is dis-assemble the stock fob (Easy) and the inner's of the fob get transferred to the Di Labs fob.

You do have to remove the RFID chip from the stock fob and that takes say 4 to 10 min. minutes to do..... depending on how well secured the chip is in the stock fob. Regardless of whether your JL has proximity or not the stock fob will have an RFID chip.

Anyway, once the stock fob is dis-assembled and the chip is removed all the guts of the stock fob to include the RFID chip get moved to the DI Labs fob. This move and assembly of the DI Labs fob could easily be done by an 8 yr. old.. Yes, that easy to do.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JLUandCJ-7

Your comment "I'm about to add the passive entry" puzzles me...... huh.... ?

All fobs have an RFID chip that needs to be removed and transferred to the DI Labs fob.... the chip and proximity do not go hand in hand... the have nothing to do with each other actually.

Note: AFTER removal of the RFID chip, go to your JL and with just the chip, press the chip firmly against the starter button with your foot on the brake pedal and the JL will start.... That will let you know that the RFID remains/is healthy.

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
@DHW

Having Proximity on your JL is not an issue at all. I have proximity on my JL and am a tester and user of the DI Labs fobs. Been working with / using DI Labs fobs for about 6 mo. now.

All you do is dis-assemble the stock fob (Easy) and the inner's of the fob get transferred to the Di Labs fob.

You do have to remove the RFID chip from the stock fob and that takes say 4 to 10 min. minutes to do..... depending on how well secured the chip is in the stock fob. Regardless of whether your JL has proximity or not the stock fob will have an RFID chip.

Anyway, once the stock fob is dis-assembled and the chip is removed all the guts of the stock fob to include the RFID chip get moved to the DI Labs fob. This move and assembly of the DI Labs fob could easily be done by an 8 yr. old.. Yes, that easy to do.
It actually gets harder to do as you get older. Dang 40-year-old eyesite.

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
To all that have done this, have you had any issues with water intrusion?

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too all that have done this, have you had any issues with water intrusion?
@JLUandCJ-7

DI Labs fobs are not water proof. You cannot submerge them, etc.. but you can't do that with the stock fob either.

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
@JLUandCJ-7

Your comment "I'm about to add the passive entry" puzzles me...... huh.... ?

All fobs have an RFID chip that needs to be removed and transferred to the DI Labs fob.... the chip and proximity do not go hand in hand... the have nothing to do with each other actually.

Note: AFTER removal of the RFID chip, go to your JL and with just the chip, press the chip firmly against the starter button with your foot on the brake pedal and the JL will start.... That will let you know that the RFID remains/is healthy.
I'm not adding anything to the fob. It's got all the OEM bits in it.

I have this kit, and after installing will get the GXD flash. I have a Sahara, so it has all the appropriate antennas already, and there is no need for the jumper in the door to complete the wiring.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku-y...Z44QHuYeHx68Y46XSlkSI696kW9XXylhoC8QgQAvD_BwE

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It actually gets harder to do as you get older. Dang 40-year-old eyesite.
I'm 72 yo and have done this deed more then a dozen times.. The last DI Labs fob I actually assembled (Model S) with my eyes closed just to show my gal pal I could... I had no problem doing so.... easy easy assembly.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not adding anything to the fob. It's got all the OEM bits in it.

I have this kit, and after installing will get the GXD flash. I have a Sahara, so it has all the appropriate antennas already, and there is no need for the jumper in the door to complete the wiring.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku-y...Z44QHuYeHx68Y46XSlkSI696kW9XXylhoC8QgQAvD_BwE
OK, I hear ya.... I thought you were saying thinking the RFID chip had something to do with passive entry which it does not... The circuit board and battery are what works with the passive entry...

OP
OP
JLUandCJ-7

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 72 yo and have done this deed more then a dozen times.. The last DI Labs fob I actually assembled with my eyes closed just to show my gal pal I could... I had no problem doing so.... easy easy assembly.
I do have one question. I got the pin out of the key/rotator, but wasn't able to detach the key from the rotator. Any tips? Is it just brute force at that point?

In.JPG

Out.JPG

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm about to add the passive entry.

All the bits in the old fob came out, but you have to be really careful with the RFID block that is in there. It is hard-planted, and you don't want to damage it taking it out. Here's a good video.

The video is very good and does/will give you a very good idea what is involved in regard to the disassembly of the stock fob.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do have one question. I got the pin out of the key/rotator, but wasn't able to detach the key from the rotator. Any tips? Is it just brute force at that point?

In.JPG

Out.JPG
@JLUandCJ-7

Once you force the roll pin out you just pull pull forcefully and wiggle it a bit to get the key out of the circular holder affair. There is nothing there to break... 8-)

For those that will be doing the removal of the roll pin, a small bulletin board push pin works great/is the right side to push the roll pin out with.
Sponsored