Keyfob now 30% smaller!

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I've got access to a whole mess of metal 3d printers - could print these in aluminum, titanium, inconel, etc. I need a cad file to start with though.
making these out of metal might be an issue. The plastic housing might be an electrical isolation barrier. In other words you might have to ground the housings to the PCBA if you make the housing out of metal.
Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
DI Labs fobs are not water proof. You cannot submerge them, etc.. but you can't do that with the stock fob either.
The stock fob is water and dust resistant. I wouldn't go swimming with it, but there is a gasket around the electronics that helps prevent water intrusion. If there is not a similar gasket around the DI Labs fob, or an accommodation to reuse the factory gasket, then it will be less resistant than the stock fob.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I think I have everyone beat, I carry 2 original Keyfobs in my pocket... This might be a good investment for me LOL
By choice? I had a rental wrangler when I was on vacation, enterprise had both fobs wired together, man what a pain that was in the pocket.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
By choice? I had a rental wrangler when I was on vacation, enterprise had both fobs wired together, man what a pain that was in the pocket.

I have 2 JL's, so I keep 1 key for each on me. My wife and I switch vehicles around and carpool, etc. So it's always my luck that when I need a key for her Jeep that I've left it elsewhere, so I just keep it on me. (1 in each front pocket makes it more bearable LOL)

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have 2 JL's, so I keep 1 key for each on me. My wife and I switch vehicles around and carpool, etc. So it's always my luck that when I need a key for her Jeep that I've left it elsewhere, so I just keep it on me. (1 in each front pocket makes it more bearable LOL)
@JSFoster75

Two, Di Labs Model M fobs together in your coin pocket would both lets say get lost in that coin pocket of your jeans... the M (Mini) is that small.. and way way light in weight.

I keep a lanyard on each so I can retrieve each from the coin pocket easily.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'm assuming the metal key is gone with this case? What do you do with that piece?
Within this thread is guidance on how to remove the pin that connects the key with its head unit that attaches the factory fob.

With this head removed you can drill the key with a small bit near its finger tip end--the metal is very easy to drill by design so the key can be cut, and you can key ring it on to the fob.

Alternatively, you can stick the key in a magnetic key device outside the vehicle, etc., or buy a tip for the key from the fob manufacturer, also detailed above.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Here is a pic I found showing the Stock, AJT Designs and DI Labs Model M Camo fob, side by side..

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj.jpeg
that's quite significant. Seems like ATJ could easily shed a ton of size, kind of surprising.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
that's quite significant. Seems like ATJ could easily shed a ton of size, kind of surprising.
My understanding is that the AJT can house the physical key, but DI Labs cannot. For that reason I think AJT is limited on how short their fob can be. Although there does appear to be some space on the width and around the corners that could be trimmed to help reduce the size.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
In regard an earlier post here that mentioned drilling a hole in the key once you take it out/off of the stock fob.... NO, no... don't do that... that key can with the stock roll pin be attached to an inexpensive ($3.00+-) DI labs key holder...

SO, no do not drill... looks like heck and not necessary..

And also with the key holder you have something to give to leverage with when you turn/use the key.

Jeep Wrangler JL Keyfob now 30% smaller! Key Holder Options

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
@MrMischief

In the not to distant future, DI Labs will be offering a new offering.... a Model S+. The Model S+ actually is 30% smaller then the stock fob BUT it still holds the key!
Nice to see they came up with a decent solution to the stupid problem that is the Jeep key fob. I wouldn't buy any of them until this one hits the market, just because I like the idea of the key being in fob. Hopefully they have some kind of a gasket as well to help with water intrusion. Then... while I'm busy adding things to my wish list here, maybe AirTag integration as well?
Sponsored