JL - Trailer Brake Controller

Punkn Expo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I just got my hands on a 3073-P from a place called Michigan Truck Springs (online). Installed it today, but haven’t towed yet. Looks like it has the diode and seems to work. I’ll report back after I tow.
Wow, the price at MTS is like $100 less than what I saw at e-trailer today. Any issues? And does it fit into the Redarc brake controller itself (or the supplied cable) or did you have to splice manually? Thanks!
Sponsored

Punkn Expo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I just read through this thread yesterday, and finally jumped in.
Just bought the Redarc Tow-pro. I love the ability to hide the controller and just see the small knob on the dash somewhere. My JLUR has the tow package, so I'm not expecting any complications other than placement running the wires.

My teardrop is finally going to be ready by the end of the month, so I have some time to get it installed and looking good.

1596654201097.png
Can you please tell me if everything is working ok with the 3073-P (no instrument panel lights in manual mode) and does the Tekonsha harness fit directly into the Redarc Brake Controller or did you have to splice it?

CouchPotato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I used the Tekonsha 3073-P with the redarc controller and it works fine - no errors on the dash when you push the button. You do have to splice the wires but at least the colors match up between the two harnesses.

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Can you please tell me if everything is working ok with the 3073-P (no instrument panel lights in manual mode) and does the Tekonsha harness fit directly into the Redarc Brake Controller or did you have to splice it?
No problems at all. No lights or error codes.
Wiring... just plug and play as long as you have the factory tow package.

Sponsored

arok99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks guys I appreciate all the info in this post, I didn't have the tow package installed but I ended up installing the Mopar tow and switches after. This thread helped me locate the brake input cable and basically wrap all the cables (Positive, Negative, Brake Controller, Brake Sense) into one wire loom. I was also getting some feedback from the Brake Controller and I ended up putting in a diode to prevent feedback now everything is good and hauled my first trailer over the weekend!
Jeep Wrangler JL JL - Trailer Brake Controller 175105301_938446630032809_1267505700729984980_n

Added a diode into the brake sense cable
Jeep Wrangler JL JL - Trailer Brake Controller PXL_20210420_213240783

Brake Sense cable coming off the harness
Jeep Wrangler JL JL - Trailer Brake Controller PXL_20210418_225629576

Added all four wires into a loom and shrink wrapped them
Jeep Wrangler JL JL - Trailer Brake Controller PXL_20210418_232856831

Fishing wire from the passenger side to the driver side
Jeep Wrangler JL JL - Trailer Brake Controller PXL_20210418_232025047

Jeep Wrangler JL JL - Trailer Brake Controller PXL_20210418_231139979

Custom bracket for the brake controller
Jeep Wrangler JL JL - Trailer Brake Controller PXL_20210416_201003386

Last edited:

new2rocks

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito!
THE DEFINITIVE SOLUTION to install brake control WITHOUT dash error lights
To add a bit of credibility - I am a RVDA Certified Technician (camper mechanic) and work at the largest RV dealer in central Wisconsin. We install a TON of brake controls, and I have a strong electrical background and understanding. I own a 2019 JLUR with factory tow.

From what I can tell NO ONE makes a brake control wiring harness for the 2018-2019 Jeep Wrangler (new body style) w/ factory tow pkg.

Curt lists one (51458)– but I have confirmed that it is incorrectly pinned and will not work.

The reason none of the existing harnesses will work is the same as the problem that plagued the 2013-2014 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks that took tekonsha 3 years to develop a harness that wouldn’t fry the truck computer… When manually operating the brake control – the controller will send voltage back into the dark side of the brake light switch to activate the vehicle and trailer brake lights. On a 13-14 RAM, the “switch” isnt a switch… it’s a computer. Send power into it where it doesn’t belong and you got a new stinky paperweight. The harness that tekonsha developed has a diode (check valve for electrical) in-line on the brake signal wire (red). This allows the vehicle to send power to activate the brake control, but prevents the brake control from sending power back to the vehicle to activate the lights on override.

Several of you have found that the Tekonsha 3014 harness works! ...well, until your dash lit up like a Christmas tree...
The 3014 harness has the correct plug and the correct pinout - that's why it works, but it is missing the diode that is required to block the brake control from sending voltage back into the computer.
I have EVERY tekonsha quick harness in stock. I grabbed a 3014 and confirmed it to plug into my jeep. Then I pulled every harness with the correct vehicle side plugin and compared...

My findings are;

The 3014 harness is a direct fit – but does not have a diode.

The 3021 harness fits – it needs the black and blue wires swapped and also does not have a diode.

The 3023 harness will not fit as it has two separate connectors. (a separate connector is used for the brake signal wire)

The 3024 harness fits – it needs the black and blue wires swapped and ALREADY HAS A DIODE INSTALLED!

The 3065 harness fits – the whole pinout is messed up, it’s intended for a Ford. (the first four harnesses are all Chrysler)

Coincidently, the “fit chart” for the Curt harness (51458) that is listed for the new wrangler matches the Tekonsha 3024 “fit chart”.

I’m not a Curt fan - reasons are mostly based upon ethics with how they treat the retailers that handle their products... However, because they listed it as fitting the new JL, I contacted their dealer tech line and confirmed that the harness DOES have the required diode, and that the pinout of the vehicle plug DOES NOT MATCH their 51460 harness (same as the 3014 that "works" but messes with the dash lights). They published 51458 fit compatibility with the new JL without even confirming that it works!!!!!
To give them credit - their tech that I spoke with was very polite and provided me with the pinouts and confirmation of the presence of a diode within the brake signal wire in an educated way. (not like at the auto parts counter when you ask for a 3157 headlamp and they ask you what kind of vehicle it is for...) He was also intrigued to hear my findings - we will see if they make an addendum to the fit guide that the black and blue pins have to be swapped for the new JL...

Anyway, I have not seen a company that offers a DIRECT fit harness for the new wrangler (or even mentions making it work), so while we wait a couple years for the aftermarket to flip two wires and come up with a new part number, the rest of us can use the tekonsha 3024 harness and swap the black and blue wires. (bonus – if this harness is installed without swapping the wires, it will not cause any damage to the vehicle or controller, the controller just wont power up!)

NOW, I must add that the diode DISABLES the ability for the brake controller to illuminate the brake lights on the vehicle and trailer under override. (only an issue when using the manual "slider" button on the brake control... typically only used to setup brake controller, testing trailer brakes, and in emergent situations)
I don't want to get into legalities, so check with your own state... It is my understanding that in California (maybe some other states too) it is REQUIRED BY LAW that the brake lights illuminate any time ANY braking force is applied. If you travel through any state that has this requirement, an ADDITIONAL harness (30235) can be installed to add that functionality while maintaining the protection of the computer. The text right from Tekonshas part description "California Compliant - Our Brake Control Stop Light Adapter is designed for brake controls and/or vehicles that do not activate the stop lights on a trailer when the manual lever of the brake control is engaged. This is necessary in the state of California."

Parts needed:
Tekonsha Harness #3024
Tekonsha Brake Light Kit #30235 (only required in states that require brake lights when using override)
Proportional Brake Controller of Choice (do NOT get a timer based controller - they only to make you legal, they are not safe)

If you made it all the way to the end - thanks! I can get a little long winded, but I am very analytical and detailed...

If any of you ever need a brake controller installed for fear of modifying a harness - or need any camper related work, I am very proud of our dealership. We just had a couple guys finish their technician certification - We now have the most RVDA certified technicians at any single facility in the entire state! Not too bad for a little mom and pop shop! I am in the process of setting up a blog with technical how-to write-ups on RV related topics, a lot like this one! Check out our website if you are interested. www.greenewayrv.com

Happy Jeeping!
I can't thank you enough for both (a) doing the research/testing and (b) posting the detailed info on the solution. The Tekonsha 3073-P was ridiculously easy to install and worked perfectly. Here's the longer version of the story:

I have a '19 JLUR with factory tow package and all of the electronic nannies (Feb. '19 build date). I purchased the Mopar trailer brake controller from a dealer (who checked my VIN to confirm compatibility) and paid them to install it in part to avoid any warranty issues. Install was yesterday, and of course...it didn't work. Dealer saw the same smorgasbord of warning lights and error codes after pushing the brake controller's manual override button, the same as people have been reporting for 2+ years. The tech was very diligent and spent significant time on the phone with Mopar/Jeep to troubleshoot the issue and was finally told that Mopar is working on a software update that will fix the issue. But there was no timetable for releasing the supposed software update. The dealer offered me the choice of pulling the controller out and getting a refund (which would require my waiting another hour plus) or leaving it in and having them do the software update as soon as it was available. I chose the latter option in part to save time and in part in the hopes that I might be able to find some way to make it work in time for a long road trip this coming weekend through the mountains with a 6x12 tandem axle trailer.

When I got home yesterday evening, I found this post in this thread, and it made complete sense. I used diodes in a few places when adding LED lights that were wired to come on when existing lights (reverse in one case, interior dome in 2 other cases) came on OR on command when turning on an auxiliary switch. The brake controller works in a similar way...it sends a signal to apply the trailer brakes either when the vehicle brakes are applied or when the trailer brake button is pushed. Presumably, when the vehicle brake pedal is pushed, the controller is simply passing the existing signal generated by the vehicle along to the trailer so the trailer knows to apply the trailer brakes, similar to tapping into an existing wiring circuit so a new LED light turns on whenever a different light turns on. When the manual override button is pushed, the controller is generating its own signal to send to the trailer, and that signal shouldn't be driving the wrong way down a one-way street, so to speak. I picked up the Tekonsha 3073-P for $20 from a local O'Reilly's (they had it delivered to the store within an hour!), and it worked like a charm. It was completely plug and play as a replacement for the harness that came with the controller, and you can install it with no tools other than your fingers (and maybe the flashlight on your cell phone to see a bit better under the steering wheel).

I tested all of the functions of the brake controller after installing the Tekonsha harness, and everything worked exactly as it should. Trailer brakes engage when the vehicle brakes are applied, and pushing the manual override button engages the trailer brake when the vehicle brake is not pressed. The gain knob works to adjust braking force in either scenario, and there are no more warning lights or error codes with or without trailer, with or without pushing the on-demand button.

I did a few more searches this evening, and it seems that Mopar offers or is planning to offer an optional harness (part number 82216416AA) that does the same thing as the Tekonsha harness (i.e., adds a diode), but for 3x the price, lol. Plus it's out of stock for who knows how long. So the Tekonsha 3073-P harness is a no-brainer if you're having this issue. Thanks again for taking the time to share this fix!

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So I called the dealership and they told me there is only a Bluetooth brake controller for the jl :(

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So I called the dealership and they told me there is only a Bluetooth brake controller for the jl :(
LOL. Maybe that's all THEY have in stock right now. :)

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
They are usually pretty good about stuff. He said he looked up my vin and the only one that works is the wireless one from curt.

I don't plan on towing a lot, so it may work well and be cheaper in the long run.

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I've had 3 orders cancelled for the Mopar trailer brake controller in the last month due to unavailability. Finally ordered the Curt Echo bluetooth unit this morning. As much as I hate another app on my phone, at least it was in-stock. And I can swap it between vehicles if I ever need. We'll see how it goes.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I don't plan on leaving it in when I stop.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I don't plan on leaving it in when I stop.
Taking it in with you to the restaurant? Whenever you stop?

Sorry, I'm not a big fan of having critical / difficult to replace components exposed like that.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Haven't seen too much stuff go walking like that, but I do know it does and can happen.

Tested the Curt Echo over the weekend with our new to us A-Frame. Worked pretty well on the road, though I had to turn it down much further than I'd think. When the camper was set up I removed and stored the Echo with the trailer and we spent the days wheeling without worrying about it.

Pulling out of camp yesterday one of the wheels was locked up until I loaded and paired the app again. I wasn't expecting that.

The rubber strap that comes with the unit works pretty well to secure it to the plug cover to help support it and the trailer cable. Minimal play/movement when all connected. If the strap gets lost or broken I'll look for a similar type strap.

I'm still not fully sold on the unit, but so far I'm pretty happy with it. I like that I can use it on any vehicle and can save several trailer profiles.

I will say I'm not a fan of the app requiring location permission to pair with the brake controller. If you are connected with bluetooth I don't see why it would also need my location other than for Curt to collect and sell. Same complaint (and others) for the Dometic CFX fridge app.
Sponsored