Trailer brake controller location

1959jeep

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Curious to know where the best location is to mount a brake controller, 2019 JLU

Advertisement

Cmtatsch

First Name
Chris Tatsch
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler unlimited Sahara
I used a curt spectrum and pulled the cigarette lighter out and put the dial over it. I used a piece of plastic behind the panel to sandwich the dial thru the hole. No modification to the dash and i can pull it out and put the cigarette lighter back in like factory if needed. I put the controller box under the dash.

2F1E573C-01C3-4884-9C99-DD4F92CA9117.jpeg

127A56CC-E008-4494-87AE-25F8D8DC92AF.jpeg

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I don't like to keep mine installed permanently for something used maybe 5% of the time. Also, don't want to create a target for thieves to slash the top.

Mine is installed with a RAM mount to my CMM grab handle mirror mount. I extended the brake controller wire harness up to the A-pillar behind the grab handles, and installed a waterproof four pin "aircraft" female socket in the plastic molding, and a male plug onto the rest of the wire harness to the brake controller. Installs in a few seconds when needed, and put away and locked up when not.

Adventure.AS

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I don't like to keep mine installed permanently for something used maybe 5% of the time. Also, don't want to create a target for thieves to slash the top.

Mine is installed with a RAM mount to my CMM grab handle mirror mount. I extended the brake controller wire harness up to the A-pillar behind the grab handles, and installed a waterproof four pin "aircraft" female socket in the plastic molding, and a male plug onto the rest of the wire harness to the brake controller. Installs in a few seconds when needed, and put away and locked up when not.
This method may OK for some electric brake controllers, but not for my 'proportional' Tekonsha Prodigy P3 as it needs to be mounted in a particular orientation to work properly. After being mounted it is also needs adjustment for gain and boost and if moved would need to be re-calibrated. It can also me unclipped from the mount in seconds and stored out of sight.

No IFS

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 Door / 2022 V8 JT Gladiator Mojave
Just ordered The factory Mopar trailer brake controller it goes right where that cigarette lighter is.

Advertisement

Smart Stop Start

Advertisement