REDARC Trailer brake controller

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes A180, Toyota RAV4, 2020 Rubicon UL 4dr
I’ve decided on a REDARC trailer brake controller. From a YouTube video it looks like I’ll need a TPH-017 and a 3073 pigtail harness as well. I could find the V3 controller but not the two harnesses that I need.
I know many of you here have this same controller. My question is where is the best place to get everything?
My 2020 JLRU has the trailer tow package so it “should“ be pre wired although I looked under the dash at the left kick panel and couldn’t find it! Help!
Sponsored

CouchPotato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
etrailer.com should have everything you need. When I installed my REDARC the pricing on the TPH-017 was crazy so I just spliced the brake controller wires into the 3073-P. If the prices are reasonable then it would be easier with both the TPH-017 and the 3073-P. If your JLUR came from the factory with the tow package, then the connector will be there. It's fairly high up and secured with black tape so it's easy to miss. REDARC has excellent customer service, too, if you get stuck.

OP
OP
Paul Holland

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
etrailer.com should have everything you need. When I installed my REDARC the pricing on the TPH-017 was crazy so I just spliced the brake controller wires into the 3073-P. If the prices are reasonable then it would be easier with both the TPH-017 and the 3073-P. If your JLUR came from the factory with the tow package, then the connector will be there. It's fairly high up and secured with black tape so it's easy to miss. REDARC has excellent customer service, too, if you get stuck.
Thanks for the response. After sweating it a bit I actually found everything on Amazon. I did talk to someone at REDARC that verified exactly what I needed. That factory trailer connector was not easy to find. There isn’t much room in front of the drivers seat to work on it either.
Where did you put your control knob?
Thanks again.

CouchPotato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I made a mount from some plastic tube I found on amazon and attached it to the side of the console out of the way. I remember seeing a photo around here where someone mounted it right next to the 12V outlet, which I might try if I were doing it again.

Jeep Wrangler JL REDARC Trailer brake controller DSC_0858.JPG

Comanche73

First Name
Dekin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Recon
When you spliced directly into the 3073-P harness, did you match the wires color to color and did you need to swap the blue and black wires on the Jeep plug end at all? I got mine all spliced together and matched all the wire colors up, then noticed some YouTubers saying they swapped the blue and black wires on the plug end the plugs into the onboard Jeep harness.

Sponsored

CouchPotato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I don't remember having to swap the blue and black wires. I think that's only needed if you buy one of the harnesses intended for a Ram. I think the 3073-P to Redarc is color to color. If in doubt, you could plug it in to the jeep side only and measure which wire goes hot when you brake.

OP
OP
Paul Holland

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I made a mount from some plastic tube I found on amazon and attached it to the side of the console out of the way. I remember seeing a photo around here where someone mounted it right next to the 12V outlet, which I might try if I were doing it again.

Jeep Wrangler JL REDARC Trailer brake controller DSC_0858.JPG
This is where I put mine …

75569AEC-F9D4-41EB-BCFF-3C2B4D0D619E.jpeg

4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Seqouia, Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order
Thanks for the response. After sweating it a bit I actually found everything on Amazon. I did talk to someone at REDARC that verified exactly what I needed. That factory trailer connector was not easy to find. There isn’t much room in front of the drivers seat to work on it either.
Where did you put your control knob?
Thanks again.
I'm having trouble finding the factory connection. Can you please elaborate on where and how you found it?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Paul Holland

Paul Holland

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm having trouble finding the factory connection. Can you please elaborate on where and how you found it?

Thanks!
Sure … it’s way up to the left under the dash. You can access it only by pulling off the kick panel under the steering wheel. It just snaps off. There’s clips on either side.
The connecter is a grey female plug in that matches the required pigtail harness. Mine was pointed up so it was especially hard to find. Push the drivers seat as far back as possible and raise the steering wheel too. It’s very tight working on this thing.
Good luck …

4x4PNW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Seqouia, Wrangler Rubicon 4xe on order
Sure … it’s way up to the left under the dash. You can access it only by pulling off the kick panel under the steering wheel. It just snaps off. There’s clips on either side.
The connecter is a grey female plug in that matches the required pigtail harness. Mine was pointed up so it was especially hard to find. Push the drivers seat as far back as possible and raise the steering wheel too. It’s very tight working on this thing.
Good luck …
I found it! Thank you for the help.

Sponsored

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
I did mine this weekend. You can see it perfectly sitting in the driver seat. It was 100% plug and play without a single splice.

E0837AA8-8934-4AFF-8912-EAF11A355EC5.jpeg

144DAF51-83F3-4287-BD34-31EC0A439E5F.jpeg

1F9DB1C9-8F8A-43AD-9474-AA36285005E2.jpeg
Sponsored