Sponsored

JL Reliability Opinions/Thoughts

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Hi Guys,
I did some research on peoples opinions about JL reliability and I saw a few threads from 2018 of people initially having some major issues. Now that we are about 2.5 years down the road, I wanted to ask for opinions on how people feel about their JL's.

Right now I'm conflicted between a couple vehicles. I love the idea of the JL, but this an expensive purchase for me and will plan to keep the vehicle long term.

Opinions on cost of ownership or long term reliability?
thanks for anything you have to share.
Quality is not there, its under built, and the electrical design will fail you, not if but when.

IF you are willing to redo steering and realize you will need a tow at some point when the electrical goes out its great, lol.
Sponsored

wpwood3

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue, 2010 Toyota Sequoia
2018 JLUR with 20k miles. Ordered from factory in Aug 2018.

The fuel pressure regulator failed after 4K miles. Had to replace the entire fuel pump assembly to fix under warranty. Every once in a while the backup camera doesn’t work. Very intermittent.
I’ve had a few windshield stone chips but, no big cracks. I try to get the chips fixed ASAP before the cracks develop.

No, it doesn’t drive like a car on the highway but, I’m more than willing to accept the trade offs to get the off-road performance it delivers. All that said, it drives MUCH better on the highway than previous Wranglers.

I’ve owned 2 Toyota’s. A 2005 Tundra and a 2010 Sequoia (still own). Both were purchased new and neither had any problems. Not even minor ones.
The build quality of Toyota greatly exceeds Jeep. Not even close.

My biggest complaint with the Jeep is the poor quality of dealer service. I’ve had 4 Jeep wave oil changes and they still haven’t figured out that the JL holds 5 quarts. I just check the oil level and make them fix it every time. They also installed my recalled steering stabilizer upside down. They are totally inept. I never have these issues at the Toyota dealer with my Sequoia.

But, I love my 2018 JLUR. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, look at it or wash it. I have the dual top group and love the flexibility to configure the vehicle for my needs or mood. Did I mention that it’s amazing off-road?

If I had it to do over would I buy the Jeep again? Absolutely!

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I love owning a wrangler, but mines had some frustrating ongoing issues. Hopefully they will get resolved.

5inch uconnect randomly looses all stations
Very loose steering(the last trip to the dealer seemed to make it tolerable now)
Couple times the jeep wouldn't pick up the key and wouldn't start(seems to be ok now)
My AC randomly turns on
I've had this brake noise at 40mph the dealer can't seem to fix

But besides that it's my favorite vehicle I've owned.
What did they do for your steering?

OP
OP

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks for the all the feedback guys. I flew to Nampa Idaho today to pickup my Jeep, and will drive it all the way back to Los Angeles tomorrow. I’ll write a review for the dealership when I get home.

Ironically I grew up in Idaho, so went and visited some of my old stomping grounds. Here’s a photo.

9194B40B-0A80-474F-B020-A3BCB17974D3.jpeg

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1998 TJ, 1975 Corvette
What did they do for your steering?
They replaced the steering stabilizer and flashed the computer, It only seemed to help for a little bit. So I brought it back again and they told me that Chrysler is telling them to keep replacing the stabilizer. Idk if the stabilizer is a different part number or if it just hasn't broken in but it feels alright right now. It's only been a week so it's a little soon to tell.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I love owning a wrangler, but mines had some frustrating ongoing issues. Hopefully they will get resolved.

Very loose steering(the last trip to the dealer seemed to make it tolerable now)
Couple times the jeep wouldn't pick up the key and wouldn't start(seems to be ok now)
My AC randomly turns on

Hi Jay,
If you need any assistance while working with your dealer to have these concerns addressed, please send our team a private message.

2018 JLUR with 20k miles. Ordered from factory in Aug 2018.

The fuel pressure regulator failed after 4K miles. Had to replace the entire fuel pump assembly to fix under warranty. Every once in a while the backup camera doesn’t work. Very intermittent.
I’ve had a few windshield stone chips but, no big cracks. I try to get the chips fixed ASAP before the cracks develop.

No, it doesn’t drive like a car on the highway but, I’m more than willing to accept the trade offs to get the off-road performance it delivers. All that said, it drives MUCH better on the highway than previous Wranglers.

I’ve owned 2 Toyota’s. A 2005 Tundra and a 2010 Sequoia (still own). Both were purchased new and neither had any problems. Not even minor ones.
The build quality of Toyota greatly exceeds Jeep. Not even close.

My biggest complaint with the Jeep is the poor quality of dealer service. I’ve had 4 Jeep wave oil changes and they still haven’t figured out that the JL holds 5 quarts. I just check the oil level and make them fix it every time. They also installed my recalled steering stabilizer upside down. They are totally inept. I never have these issues at the Toyota dealer with my Sequoia.

But, I love my 2018 JLUR. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, look at it or wash it. I have the dual top group and love the flexibility to configure the vehicle for my needs or mood. Did I mention that it’s amazing off-road?

If I had it to do over would I buy the Jeep again? Absolutely!
Hi Bill,
We're sorry to hear about your experience. If you would like any additional support at your next dealer visit, please do not hesitate to reach out to our team via private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU

My AC randomly turns on

My a/c does the same thing. Thought maybe I accidentally bumped it or something. I look down and its on and ive got the windows and top down.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

My a/c does the same thing. Thought maybe I accidentally bumped it or something. I look down and its on and ive got the windows and top down.
If you've got the Auto climate control, pressing the "auto" button doesn't turn the system off, it just switches to manual mode. Alternatively, if you leave it on auto all the time, it will run the AC or heat to try and reach your desired temps, even with doors and top off. Double-check those, and if not, I'd take it into the dealer.

Sponsored

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1998 TJ, 1975 Corvette
If you've got the Auto climate control, pressing the "auto" button doesn't turn the system off, it just switches to manual mode. Alternatively, if you leave it on auto all the time, it will run the AC or heat to try and reach your desired temps, even with doors and top off. Double-check those, and if not, I'd take it into the dealer.
Mine has manual climate controls. I've never bothered to take it for that issue. Whenever I go to the dealer and the issue isn't happening while it's there they say come back when it acts up. Which is easier said than done, I'm 30 min away and it usually happens on my way to work or after work when they are closed.

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
I have a 2018 JLU base sport. manual windows and locks, base 5" stereo. so no Auto climate control. the issue has happened randomly and maybe half dozen times that I've noticed. Not to say it hasn't happened and I've been totally unaware. I've been trying to keep an eye on it more, but I don't use the a/c that often anyway. Pretty much only when there are passengers and they want it on.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
I love mine. My wife loves it too. Never any issues, some minor recalls, whatever. You can Lego out on this vehicle or leave it factory. But one thing is for certain: Better resale value than Toyota. I owned Toyotas in the past and would not touch one with a 20 ft pole. Had my share of Wranglers and not going back to any other brand. It is a matter of what are you willing to accomplish with the vehicle you desire. In the end, only you can make that choice and have the experience with this kind of vehicle. It"s a Jeep thing... :jk:

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
19,940 trouble-free miles and then I had some electrical problems last Thursday. Just got it delivered to the dealership this morning... I hope it’s just the ESS battery the dash looked like a Christmas tree LOL. But hey my manual transmission is still buttery smooth ;)

5E245F93-AD9C-48D3-81E1-47E585AB2CA8.jpeg
Sponsored