Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Understood, but I still think you will be hard pressed to find a vehicle with no problems. I mean any even brand new vehicles of any company will have some either major or minor problem(s). Plus I think each individual vehicle has its own set of problems. You know how picky these Jeep owners are??!!!! I guess I am a little less picky about my Jeep BUT I am coming from the enjoyment I get out of driving the Jeep Wrangler compared with other vehicles. I can get past the problem, just let me have my ride..... I kind of expect to pay down the road for some major problem, but that's part of owning a car(Jeep), just as eventually you will have to replace your furnace or AC unit in your house, just as I did this past fall. that's a huge expense, but its part of owning a house.
Incidentally, I think they did have problems with the ESS batteries going bad. Most of them, I understand, will happen sooner rather than later, so they should be under warranty.
Also, you mentioned Toyota. We have a Toyota Camry, and all my life all I heard was they are great cars, no problems, etc.... Ours is a 2015 LE, I am a tall guy and have trouble getting in and our of it because it sits too low to the ground, and it is like driving in a cardboard box, (very loud) on the road. So that's another reason I will have to say I have found my dream vehicle.
You see, you’ve owned it for 1.5 years and had to replace the ESS battery, I agree that it’s the best vehicle I’ve driven. So after the warranty expires, let’s say over the course of 10 year's that I plan to own my Jeep, what kind of issues will I be dealing with is what I’m worried about. The 48v ESS battery on my 2.0 is super expensive and already showing signs of use ($1500) and probably will be replaced out of warranty.
I would never buy a Toyota after I’ve driven the Jeep but reliability concerns are still worrying for me.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
by any chance do you have the hybrid assist start motor? I wonder if that's why you have the 48V, and if the 2020 2.0 uses the 12V so they no longer come with the hybrid.
Depending on what trim and package yes you can either option the 48v BSG or without. But this is another topic and you can probably look in the ordering section for better details.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I do miss my Jeep. On the road In the TRD you simply drive it. Nothing exciting. With the jeep you have to give it your full attention. You interact with it. It's rough, poor steering, poor ride...all of it... but I looked forward to getting in it. I guess it reminded me of my 1979 Chevy Truck which I also love to drive. For people that are used to driving new card and like just getting in and going somewhere with no hassle, they may not like a Jeep. It's different, and its polarizing You will hate it or love it. I loved it. ...but it's gone :(
I think this is key - what do you want out of your driving experience? Back in the early 00's, I finally bought a car I'd always wanted, a 1979 Porsche 911SC. Having learned to drive in the early 70's first on a VW-based dune buggy, then first car a '67 Bug, the 911 was a holy grail. It ended up as a street-legal track car and I club raced it for a few years until I ran out of money :-D

Often guys would ask my why I didn't want a more modern car. For instance a WRX had more HP, antilock brakes, traction control, etc. The 911 didn't have any of that, but it was a time machine. When I drove it, either at the track or on the road, it was a visceral and involving experience. You felt and heard exactly what was going on with the car, from engine to transmission to contact patch.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, a similar "no time like the present" life moment with a Jeep being the other "always wanted to own" vehicle. My daily driver has been a GTI that has been rock-solid and is a very fun and practical car. Crazy how much stuff you can carry and it is fun in the curves while getting over 30mpg on the highway. When I did a test drive of the Wrangler (had to be 2-door per my wife), I was actually surprised at how good the ride was. I was expecting it to feel like my old buddy's Jeeps/Land Cruisers.

Fast forward to today, closing in on the first 1K miles and the honeymoon is calming down. Is the JL a perfect vehicle? Nope - haven't found one of those, though the GTI is pretty close, except it won't really do dirt ;-) . The front seat on the JL could be more comfortable and some trim has so-so fit and finish. With regards to the ride, it is all about expectations. I've done a couple of longish freeway runs (100+ miles) over the same route as I've done with the GTI many times. The GTI is calm and relaxing, with very little effort required to hold a line and click off the miles. The JL is much more "active" - I have to pay more attention to steering inputs, though the cruise control is pretty well behaved. But it isn't dangerous or faulty as far as I can tell, it is largely what you'd expect from a short wheelbase and high center of gravity.

My son is grown and I don't want an SUV. My wife has always wanted a Jeep (topless - the Jeep, not her), I always wanted a Jeep, and with her electric Fiat lease ending she said I should pick whatever I want as her dream car, the VW Buzz, isn't out yet. I do haul music gear around (at least did before gigs all cancelled) so at first the 2-door was a concern. That was until I saw how easy it was to remove the back seat :-D. So I found deal I could live with, my second color choice, and came home with the Sting Gray JL. Immediately pulled the back seat and put it in the closet, and got it into the dirt the first weekend.

If someone wants comfort, reliability, and family hauling capabilities, not sure a Wrangler is at the top of the list. If someone wants a Jeep and recognizes that it isn't going to be like owning a car-based SUV or minivan, then a Wrangler probably is high on the list. No single right answer, but I do know that life is short and you're dead a long time. If driving is important to you, buy and drive what you can afford and what you love.

OP
OP

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
but I do know that life is short and you're dead a long time. If driving is important to you, buy and drive what you can afford and what you love.
lol, I've heard the first part of the phrase many times, never the second part. that's gold. and thanks for your input.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
2.5 years 35 K miles. Wheel it hard, wife daily drives and we would without question buy it again. Would prefer it with less high tech but that's today with any vehicle. Battery not so much........LOL

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
2.5 years 35 K miles. Wheel it hard, wife daily drives and we would without question buy it again. Would prefer it with less high tech but that's today with any vehicle. Battery not so much........LOL
That's reassuring. I'm at 18k+ miles in 7 months of my JT, good to know. Is yours the 3.6L?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I am quite curious to hear more from folks who have never modded their vehicles, even not changing the tires. Reliability arguments goes out the window when you mod in the vast majority of cases.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
That's reassuring. I'm at 18k+ miles in 7 months of my JT, good to know. Is yours the 3.6L?
yes sir tried and tested. I have a 2013 3.6 with real close to 160K miles on it and starter is all I've changed besides oil and fluids.. Not a powerhouse but has been super reliable.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Just over 1 year in a 2019 Sahara 2.0T with 48V e-torque system. Jeep has been flawless. Coming from a 2017 Tacoma V6 that was completely gutless in comparison.

texasyj2009

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ 4.2L ; 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
People consider Scotty Kilmer an expert? I can’t take the guy seriously and find ChrisFix to be much more knowledgeable.
haha yep, some people do! I can't take him seriously either but I always love reading the comment section on his videos.

Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
2018 JLR. 24,000 miles. A couple little electrical gremlins but nothing that put it out of service and nothing that wasn’t fixed quickly by my dealership. Lots of fun in the meantime. Had more significant issues in the 12 months I had my 2017 4Runner TRD Off road premium that I had before the wrangler (anomaly I’m sure... but even Toyota builds trucks at 5pm on a Friday....)

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
2019 JLUR and with just over 11K miles after 13 months of ownership. Only issue I had was with the backup camera. Stopped working for about a day 1/2 they "fixed" itself. Haven't had the issue again. You'll have a warranty from the factory out the door so I wouldn't be concerned with reliability. Most modern cars are pretty reliable these days compared to a couple decades ago. I know people that have $150K Porsches and $80K Bimmers that have had more problems with their vehicles than I have had with my Jeep.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
We have two '18's; my wife's JLU Sport S was ordered March '18, delivered May '18. It has the 3.6/8-speed powertrain., with the 7" radio and power windows/locks/mirrors. We have just over 14K miles on it with a couple of long road trips. We broke it in delivery weekend by driving from NJ to VT. Last winter we took it to ME, NH, and VT. It's great on the highway, holds a ton of stuff, and has been super-reliable (knock-on-wood).

My 2-door JL Sport is a late '18 build, which I got in July of '19. This one is the 2.0T/8-speed combo, base model with crank windows. Right after delivery, I had an issue with the passenger seat that caused an Air Bag Service light. Brought it to the dealer, and they tracked it down to a loose wire in a connector inside the seat. They repaired it and it was fine for the entire winter. The Air Bag code recently returned, so I am bringing it in today. The only other issue I have with mine is the hatch has already worn the material off the rear window. I will mention it today while it's there.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Problems with the ESS scourge from the moment I left the dealer, then later with a battery issue. Never had an issue with steering but was involved in the recall.

I've had jeeps forever, and had pretty good luck with them. This latest one should be the best, VERY SOLID motor, and 8 speed is highly rated, so the drive train likely will be solid. I do worry about electronics though.

Everyone raves about toyota's reliability, but we have had our fair issues with them too. We have had our 97 4runner since new and while we really like it cant say it's super reliable. I think it's just a neat vehicle and most seem to forget about issues when you like a car. Jeep is the same for many.

I actually use my rig off road and I am totally floored at how well it works. I think it would take a lot of mechanical misery for me to ditch it. What would I buy that would work as well? It's a rhetorical question. There is nothing.

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1998 TJ, 1975 Corvette
I love owning a wrangler, but mines had some frustrating ongoing issues. Hopefully they will get resolved.

5inch uconnect randomly looses all stations
Very loose steering(the last trip to the dealer seemed to make it tolerable now)
Couple times the jeep wouldn't pick up the key and wouldn't start(seems to be ok now)
My AC randomly turns on
I've had this brake noise at 40mph the dealer can't seem to fix

But besides that it's my favorite vehicle I've owned.
Sponsored