Is the Active Safety Group worth it?

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
Got as many safety features as we could with my daughter's '14 Mazda 3. As a new driver we figured she could use all the help she could get. While it doesn't have lane assist, it does have cross traffic detection, backup camera, and BSM. While I initially scoffed at these features for myself, they do indeed come in handy and could help avoid the inconvenience and cost of a parking lot mishap or other at-fault accident.

Now that we are looking for a car for my soon-to-be-16 son, safety feature availability is high on the wish list.

Am also looking at dash cams for both their cars. Any recommendations for good cams that are hardwired and also have a rear cam? Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Ok I know this is a old post but this is for someone who is is thinking about this package. I live in Nyc so I see a lot of crazy drivers. I would get it any little thing helps I had some close calls before when changing lanes yes u do shoulder checks. So I say if you live in a heavy traffic environment go get it.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Yes it is worth it, But asking such an open Question to help make your decision is crazy to me if you want it get.

CUOFFRD

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Am also looking at dash cams for both their cars. Any recommendations for good cams that are hardwired and also have a rear cam? Thanks in advance for any help.
We have a Thinkware F200 F&R in my daughter’s Beetle that does good. I use a BlackVue 750-2 in the Viper. The BlackVue is much nicer but comes at a price premium.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I bought mine off the dealer inventory. If I'd had ordered one I would have opted out.

The reason.

I used to always run a radar detector. The blindspot monitor system uses radar so my detector would go nuts and not be effect. I miss my radar detector. :(
I think better modern detectors can filter out radar signials from blind spot devices. Check out a Valentine One radar detector. I think they have a 30 day trial/return polict if you do not like it.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Got both Active and Advanced Safety Packages on my JLUSA.

The Active Cruise Control is niiiiiice. It could use a few tweaks, namely to smooth out the recognition/transition when people change lanes in front of you. IMO it's worth the price of the option alone.

The Parking Alert thing that is supposed to prevent you from slamming into someone is good, but thus far (~1 month in) it's had more false positives than legit protections. Obviously based on your driving habits, but I've had it *very* abruptly slam the brakes several times when I'm driving down the road, someone is turning off in front of me, and I know they're going to make it so I just keep going. It's VERY jarring when it does. You *can* turn it off, and it stays off between vehicle starts/stops, which is nice, but still.

I was a bit annoyed to find that while I have an alert for when I'm backing up (in addition to the backup camera), there is nothing off the front of the vehicle. I was expecting to have proximity alerts for when I'm pulling into my garage or a parking spot, for instance. Not a huge deal, but seemed odd to leave off.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
You can adjust the sensitivity on the auto braking. If you are getting false alerts, i would suggest checking the settings.

i have run it on 2 different wranglers for 2.5 year, both lifted & leveled (which should actually make it more sensitive), yet after i set it on the least sensitive setting it has been flawless.
Sponsored