Sponsored

Is the Active Safety Group worth it with steel bumper?

2019RUBI

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Camry, 2017 Camaro 2SS, 1990 Mustang, 2019 Rubi on order
I've had these features on other cars and with the exception of the Camaro which has limited rear visability, I don't see the need for them. We spent the money on all the safety stuff on the GF's Explorer and ended up turning it all off due to it being more intrusive and annoyiing than helpful.

I did not order the safety group or the proximity sensors when I placed my order. I figure that I have driven for 30ish years without hitting anything so I don't see the need for it.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I've had these features on other cars and with the exception of the Camaro which has limited rear visability, I don't see the need for them. We spent the money on all the safety stuff on the GF's Explorer and ended up turning it all off due to it being more intrusive and annoyiing than helpful.

I did not order the safety group or the proximity sensors when I placed my order. I figure that I have driven for 30ish years without hitting anything so I don't see the need for it.
They Hate us cause they ain't us lol, that was my thought too.
Slowly trying to make you less aware while your driving with all this safety stuff, then when it doesn't work? nobody will know how to friggin drive.

On a side note, why are you getting engine block heater and cold weather group? if you live in LA? skip those and save the money for usefull things

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
The guy complaining is just that looking for attention if you want it get it. I like it and yes it works.
YOUR CHOICE

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase

It’s funny that you mention the Camaro because my wife had a ‘12 Camaro and it didn’t have these features or even a backup camera and it’s the first car I’ve ever driven that I felt really needed it. Driving that thing was like being in a pillbox. And at the same time I owned a ‘12 Mustang -also with no camera or sensors- and that thing was like being in a fishbowl compared to the Chevy. (Yes, I come frome a house divided)

OP, all I can tell you is go with your gut. My old TJ didn’t have any of this stuff and I always felt supremely aware of my surroundings due to its short wheelbase and good visibility, so I ordered my JL without any of this stuff. I’m sure you’ll be fine whatever you choose.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Steel bumpers are the only option that I REGRET. They are good looking....but they are NO comparison to good aftermarket steel bumpers. The steel bumper option are not strong, you can not use them as a lift point for a high lift jack....nor can you use them to push with or pull with. Mounting a winch requires a $300 steel plate. Save your $ and get the standard (no charge) plastic bumpers....they look good enough. Then look around and use the money you saved to buy yourself some good aftermarket steel or aluminum bumpers. Good aftermarket bumpers can take a hit or two without damage and you can do “Jeep Stuff” with them. If you even take a little hit with the OEM Steel Bumper...they bend...probably suffer body damage too.
Whatever decision you make.....enjoy the Jeep like we are enjoying ours. Good luck on that purchase

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was asked if aftermarket bumpers cause issues with the cross paths and blind spot monitoring and honestly thought I read those warnings come from the tail lights but I have now idea.

Anyone know?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. I see your car in your profile. Is it soft top or hard top? I am also getting the red one and I think softtop looks better with red but since Im in LA area I am also considering hard top for security purpose
I have the hardtop. I will be buying a softop as well. Just isn’t one out yet that I want.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Hello guys

I am going to order 2019 Jeep JL 2 Door rubicon Manual Transmission with steel bumper group.
Since there is no front bumper sensor, it's just doesn't make sense to me..
I am still debating..

Here are the options I will get for sure:
Manual Transmission
Premium soft top
7" Screen
Led Lighting group
Trailer Tow group
Cold weather group
Engine block heater
17-Inch x 7.5-Inch Black Wheels with Polished Lip
Black / Heritage Tan Leather Interior Colors
Cargo Group with Trail Rail System
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
I have the advanced safety group in addition to the active safely group. The auto emergency braking just saved me from rear ending a jerk making a sudden left turn. It stopped itself and warned me it was doing so. Great feature.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Steel bumpers are the only option that I REGRET. They are good looking....but they are NO comparison to good aftermarket steel bumpers. The steel bumper option are not strong, you can not use them as a lift point for a high lift jack....nor can you use them to push with or pull with. Mounting a winch requires a $300 steel plate. Save your $ and get the standard (no charge) plastic bumpers....they look good enough. Then look around and use the money you saved to buy yourself some good aftermarket steel or aluminum bumpers. Good aftermarket bumpers can take a hit or two without damage and you can do “Jeep Stuff” with them. If you even take a little hit with the OEM Steel Bumper...they bend...probably suffer body damage too.
Whatever decision you make.....enjoy the Jeep like we are enjoying ours. Good luck on that purchase
While I'd argue the front bumper is actually quite strong, I agree. Jeep touts the front steel bumper as winch ready, which it is not, because you've got to buy extra hardware to make that happen. However, adding the winch plate further beefs up the front bumper as you're adding an additional internal structure to it. I've plowed into rocks and trees with the removable corners attached on the JK version of the same bumper and they'll take some serious abuse without flinching, despite the fact they're only held on with bolts.

That being said, the rear steel rear bumper is virtually useless as it has no internal structure to prevent it from folding the instant you slide it over a rock. And as much as I like virtually every change they've made to the JL, I don't understand why they thought moving the license plate to the bumper was acceptable. I understand the concern with it interfering with the sensors in the taillight, but putting it down there was incredibly stupid.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Hello guys

I am going to order 2019 Jeep JL 2 Door rubicon Manual Transmission with steel bumper group.
Since there is no front bumper sensor, it's just doesn't make sense to me..
I am still debating..

Here are the options I will get for sure:
Manual Transmission
Premium soft top
7" Screen
Led Lighting group
Trailer Tow group
Cold weather group
Engine block heater
17-Inch x 7.5-Inch Black Wheels with Polished Lip
Black / Heritage Tan Leather Interior Colors
Cargo Group with Trail Rail System
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
For me personally, I did not think the active safety stuff was worth it. It's all good tech, but on a vehicle where you are going to be off-road, the costs of maintaining all that complexity adds up over time. For example, if you crack one of those radar taillights by clipping a tree or a rock, it is approximately 8X more expensive than the normal tail light assembly. In fact, I have heard that people are stealing the radar tail lights off jeeps because the replacement cost is so high. Plus I knew I was going to replace the bumpers.

So I kept it simple when spec'ing my JLUR - just added the tow/aux switch package (essential!) and upgraded premium soft top. Got out the door for about $44k!

Lizzy

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Rubicon
Cross Path is amazing. I have it on all of my vehicles now.
I have the steel bumpers on my 2018 JL Rubicon and they are well worth it. I had an immigrant driver pull out of the intersection to turn,and for whatever reason she got halfway across the intersection and decided to back up right into my front bumper.She was driving a new Chev Traverse and she caved in her back fascia as well as caved in her whole lift gate.Her total damage was 7800.00 Canadian,and I ended up with a scratched bumper.That center piece on my bumper was 1669.00 Canadian to replace.I couldn't back up to get out of her road as there was a vehicle behind me.She must of been deaf as I wailed on the horn and she never heard it.And it has a load horn.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I am coming from a Subaru that had Eyesight, blind spot and cross traffic monitoring (best in the business)
On the JL I find the features to be worthwhile, but not nearly as effective IMHO.

The third day I owned my JL, backing out slowly from between two large SUVs, cross traffic alert never activated as an idiot in a minivan on her phone zipped by almost hitting me. No indication that she even saw a HUGE orange Jeep in her path. This is why such things (when they work) are good to have, even for "manly men" that like to use their eyes.

I always check before changing lanes (life long motorcycle rider and MSF Rider Coach) the blind spot monitor on the JL is a fixed field of vision from sensors in the taillights. There were times when I looked back to change lanes (with no indication of a rider in the blind spot) and there was a car sitting just outside the field and too close for a lane change. On the Subaru it would take into account your speed and the closing speed of a car approaching and warn you.

My replacement 2019 JL has both safety packages, we'll see if it works any better than my 2018. From what I've read I'll probably be disabling the active braking feature.
Sponsored