Is overheating an issue?

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I doubt you'll have problems with stock tires and no mods that weigh you down. I run 37s with a 6-inch lift, RSE Step-Sliders, winch and I still haven't experienced a derate . . . though I think I've been close. Just keep an eye on the fluid temps using the Off Road gauge page when ascending. Oil temp increases very quickly on steep grades at altitude.
Sponsored

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
For those that are following this AND have experienced Derate, what mods do you have? I see a lot of talk of larger tires etc. I am 200 miles in to the ED and plan to pull 1000 lbs over the highest passes in CO. 1000 is nothing, but our elevation gets serious. I am not modding anything though.
It is how you drive and the conditions you drive that causes limp mode. You will limp every time on I-70 if you have stop and go traffic and then it opens up on a steep grade. Moving slowly will put you to the high fan setting. You will hear it if you have windows down or see it on coolant temp. high 220ā€™s-230s. Then as you take off to hiway speed your coolant temp will shoot up. Then you will hit 240+ easy because you started at high fan and it canā€™t keep up. Not a flaw with the engine, it will happen with any late model vehicle. Just watch it. The fan will cool it down in high setting. But if the timing is bad and you have to take off at 230 to get to highway speed, You will limpā€¦

Last edited:

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Flex-a-lite 232
That ^^^ fan puts out 1,325 cfm, draws 8 amps, and with some ingenuity it'll just fit. I just put a Warn 8275 on the front of our 3.0L and I threw this fan in there just in case. Still getting around to wiring it, and honestly it's just sandwiched in there right now (but it ain't going nowhere....guaranteed). Had to remove a couple spars from the honeycomb grille. I'll work on a permanent mount solution at some point.

After reading people talk about overheating it seemed prudent to be proactive on this front.

ETA:
You'll have to modify the hood latch and other general fanagling, but it can fit if you're up to it.

Last edited:

skipperw

First Name
SKIP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Eco Diesel
Great topic and lots of really good input here. I only heard the radiator topic come up once and no replies. Canā€™t help but think if an after market aluminum radiator was installed, the improved size and cooling routing in the radiator would be a big help. Any thoughts?

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
does anyone make an aluminum radiator upgrade for these yet?

EDIT:
a year later, it looks like both Cold Case and Mishimoto are advertising full Aluminum Radiators now.

Great topic and lots of really good input here. I only heard the radiator topic come up once and no replies. Canā€™t help but think if an after market aluminum radiator was installed, the improved size and cooling routing in the radiator would be a big help. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Has anyone done the measuring to see how much clearance there is for a larger radiator?
Sponsored