Sponsored

Is EVERYONE having the paint bubbling problems?

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
Looks like just over half of all respondents have a problem then?
Yup, and that is significant.

I knew about the hinges - I believe the culprit is the differing metals without proper prep for that? What I didn't know is about these other areas where the paint is just bubbling up. Holy crap, I thought manufactuers solved that problem decades ago.
Sponsored

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 dr Sarge Green Willys, Soft Top 3.6L MT
Yup, and that is significant.

I knew about the hinges - I believe the culprit is the differing metals without proper prep for that? What I didn't know is about these other areas where the paint is just bubbling up. Holy crap, I thought manufactuers solved that problem decades ago.
It's troubling for sure. But significant? I'm not sure that a few hundred votes out of several hundred thousand vehicles sold over the affected model years constitutes a statistically significant sample size. Of course, if it happens to you, it's a sample size of one, so I understand why folks are upset.

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
It's troubling for sure. But significant? I'm not sure that a few hundred votes out of several hundred thousand vehicles sold over the affected model years constitutes a statistically significant sample size. Of course, if it happens to you, it's a sample size of one, so I understand why folks are upset.
That's not how statistics work. You don't compare the 50% of the 158 participants directly with all of the NON participants (on or off the forum). You take the PERCENTAGE, which in this case appears to be GREATER than 50% of the respondents that do HAVE the issue, and you apply that percenage to the total number out there. Of course that is an assumption and there is a margin for error but these polls, samplings and statistics prove much closer to reality than guessing and hoping.

More than 50 percent answering a poll about having a problem is significant.

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 dr Sarge Green Willys, Soft Top 3.6L MT
That's not how statistics work. You don't compare the 50% of the 158 participants directly with all of the NON participants (on or off the forum). You take the PERCENTAGE, which in this case appears to be GREATER than 50% of the respondents that do HAVE the issue, and you apply that percenage to the total number out there. Of course that is an assumption and there is a margin for error but these polls, samplings and statistics prove much closer to reality than guessing and hoping.

More than 50 percent answering a poll about having a problem is significant.
No. The point is that the sample size is not large enough and does not significantly account for potential bias (selection bias, etc) for the percentage to be reliably applicable to the entire population of several hundred thousand.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Seems like it’s inevitable with the hinges. Whether or not the average Jeep owner notices or keeps track and/or cares is another story. It seems very common see a used 2+ year old JL on the lot without at least a little bubbling around the hinges.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
No. The point is that the sample size is not large enough and does not significantly account for potential bias (selection bias, etc) for the percentage to be reliably applicable to the entire population of several hundred thousand.
While anecdotal, in looking at used JL Jeeps on a car lot, 2 out of three 2018 models had the problem. I think this is a common problem…many owners don’t notice or complain, especially if the bubbling doesnt spread. Only FCA knows the real statistics.

J. Creeper

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Just noticed this on my hood today. Not that it’s a big deal now, but In 2-3 years it will be. 2018 with 19k miles, and garage kept through and not drive in winter.
725BBEC5-3476-4CF8-88AD-A4793F32058A.jpeg

B5F71735-D406-41B6-AA6F-EEA72734E8FE.jpeg
My Jeep is the exact same color and trim. What did you decide to do about the bubbling? Mone has started to bubble right underneath the “o” in Rubicon. I’m devastated because I’ve kept my Jeep clean and waxed as much as possible and still the bubbles happened. My Jeep is a 2020 JLUR.

J. Creeper

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I take that back. I just noticed couple bubbles on the passenger door. Add me to the list. I think I am not gonna fix it. Fuck it not worth it. Itll happen again anyway.
Did it get worse, or you decided to get it fixed? My edge of my hood has bubbles.

J. Creeper

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
It didnt get any worse. In fact I cant see them anymore. Bizarre.
Mine started out looking like a paint drip hanging off the edge of the hood now it looks like it’s bubbling. I’m watching it, but I will be visiting an Auto Detaiker to see if they can correct it and seal it somehow.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I wonder how many of the people who were pricks about this, and saying that it's a small percentage, and really not a problem, have gotten the corrosion now? I've had it repainted by the dealers body shop twice now. Bad color match both times, and it's back again. Gonna have to pay out of pocket, and dictate what needs to be done by the paint shop to get it done right.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
On the wife's '20 JLUSS. This was taken a few months ago. It's much worse now. Still waiting to get it into the dealer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is EVERYONE having the paint bubbling problems? IMG_1941.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: LCW

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
I wonder how many of the people who were pricks about this, and saying that it's a small percentage, and really not a problem, have gotten the corrosion now? I've had it repainted by the dealers body shop twice now. Bad color match both times, and it's back again. Gonna have to pay out of pocket, and dictate what needs to be done by the paint shop to get it done right.
until jeep changes the components of the hinge bolts or door or puts a sealant in between or whatever they could use, it will eventually be a problem on every jeep. as far as I understand its just science. not road salt, location, etc. maybe temperature is a factor, but still just quickens or slows the timing. I have had my Jeep 3 years and and finally now i see bubbles forming. i hadnt until now. but knew i would. just a matter of time. I am not likely to address it unless/until paint cracks or I approach 5 years because I hate having things repainted and never feel is the same after.

Reactions: LCW

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
until jeep changes the components of the hinge bolts or door or puts a sealant in between or whatever they could use, it will eventually be a problem on every jeep. as far as I understand its just science. not road salt, location, etc. maybe temperature is a factor, but still just quickens or slows the timing. I have had my Jeep 3 years and and finally now i see bubbles forming. i hadnt until now. but knew i would. just a matter of time. I am not likely to address it unless/until paint cracks or I approach 5 years because I hate having things repainted and never feel is the same after.
The longer you wait the deeper the corrosion goes into the aluminum. Because it wasn't addressed properly by the body shop at the dealership, I am looking at having to replace the doors and hood now to make sure that we don't have corrosion again after this fix. Because it's so deep now.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
The longer you wait the deeper the corrosion goes into the aluminum. Because it wasn't addressed properly by the body shop at the dealership, I am looking at having to replace the doors and hood now to make sure that we don't have corrosion again after this fix. Because it's so deep now.
gotcha, considering the fix is just effectively to start the clock over, I figured whats the point. so many people go back over and over considering there doesnt appear to be a fix for the underlying issue. I wouldnt wait if i was confident it would be fixed and then also not recur. mine is very slight now
Sponsored