Sponsored

Is EVERYONE having the paint bubbling problems?

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I did my 2021 Jlur Willies at 250 miles it had 5 hinges including one on the hood. There were a multiple other problems including a steering issues could stay in a lane on the highway without retesting with it the deakers fix didn’t work of course! At the prices they charge no vehicle should have this low quality it’s not just the paint. They can’t even get aluminum paint, manual transmissions or steering right. FCA is A disaster I went back to a 4Runner. I wanted to love the Jeep but the dealers were douches so I said fuck it. Yes it’s a lot more common than people think it’s highly probable the paint problem will be over 80 percent within a few years. Untill FCA really fixes this i won’t touch another FCA product. Such poor quality for such high prices and we seem to just take it. So disgusted.
Ha, you should talk to my neighbor! He has been a tech at our local Toyota dealership for the past 18 plus years... he has been working there on Toyota problems for 40 hours a week the ENTIRE time!
Sponsored

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
So I have a 2021 JLUR on order.

I was recently looking at the TSB section and I see that possibly the biggest problem with the current Wranglers is paint bubbling around the door hinges/doors after a couple years.

This would be very hard to fix properly.

Is everyone having this problem or does it seem more sporadic?

Unsettling about to drop 55k on a car.
When I purchased my 2017 Willys this was a big problem with paint around the hinges. I found this out back on a Jeep forum, so when my new Willys came in it was the first thing I checked out at delivery, it was ok. I guess the problem still exist today, sure glad the Jeep plant has fixed it, NOT.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
No issues on my 2/19 JLR it has been outside 24/7. My $125K 2012 Tiger RV has paint bubbles on the color matching Coach. I guess how much a rig costs isn't germane.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm getting it, no desire to get it fixed to be honest.

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Just found this on the drivers side hinge on my hood. Only a little over 8K miles and just over a year old. I also know that they missed some of the paint on the underside of the rear door hinge area. Just curious. How do they fix this? Do they replace the whole hood?

Jeep Wrangler JL Is EVERYONE having the paint bubbling problems? tempImageFWkxqs
Jeep Wrangler JL Is EVERYONE having the paint bubbling problems? tempImageZ1Y0HR

Sponsored

Boutch76

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL 2D Manual
I have had the same problem. My 2018 Jeep JL has had more issues than my Toyota 2005 Corolla. I regret my purchase and will never buy a Jeep again

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Had to bring my 2019 back in due to paint bubbling again. I've already had the hinges on the doors and hood done, the doors themselves done as they were bubbling on the bottom and the hood done. It's bubbling again on the door hinge and now on both sides of the windsheild.....

As long as it's under warrantee, they will continue to paint the jeep, as far as I'm concerned. I figure they will eventually have to paint the whole jeep by the time the warrantee is done, lol.... one section at a time.

But seriously, this is poor product delivery. Other than this issue, I love the jeep.

UPDATE

I got the call from the dealership last week. The warranty representative stated they would cover the hinges but NOT the windshield frame! Now bear in mind that when I bought the jeep, I also purchased a paint protection plan that would cover me until November 2024 for any paint issues other than caused by me, of course. I informed the representative of such and she stated that they only spray the hinges and not the entire paint surfaces of the vehicle. I calmly hung up, went to my paperwork, and there was no mention of partial coverage, it stated protection of all painted surfaces.

So I went to the dealer papers in hand and I decided not to speak with the warranty representative as I figured she would stand by her decision, and spoke with the gentleman that had sold me the protection plan. As I'm explaining my situation, I can tell he's in disbelief. He stated that ALL painted surfaces are covered under this plan and that he was going to look into it for me.

I wasn't 5 minutes out that he called and said everything was all set and that it would get fixed.

Thank you Doug at Moncton Jeep and Dodge for your excellent service and assistance.

Now I am just waiting for the call to bring it in...

Last edited:

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
It should be expected that the paint would not do this. But, (to me) its the first new vehicle I have owned that I don't care if I get a scratch or a ding, or paint bubble. I use my jeep off road, long trips, mud. rocks, gravel, birds even poo on it.

50K for a new car other than a basic econo-box is pretty normal. Prices are going up, quality is not. Im not saying it okay for the guys that care about bubbles, but JEEP is only going to do so much. Hope they come up with a fix for you guys.

My paint is starting to bubble as well, so I just pressure wash those spots in preparation for Raptor liner.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
2019 JL. 20k miles almost 3 years. No issues with paint
I take that back. I just noticed couple bubbles on the passenger door. Add me to the list. I think I am not gonna fix it. Fuck it not worth it. Itll happen again anyway.

kidwild317

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL sport, 2006 Ford Mustang
Our 2019 JL is having the paint bubbling issues on both door hinges, on the doors themselves, on the hood, hood hinges and now a new spot has appeared on the body just behind the passenger door.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
4 years old 2018 JLR, never had an issue with this until this year when I noticed after a good spring washing. Both doors have some bubbling near the hinges, and also near the bottom of the doors.

skyfall

First Name
Lola
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler JL
My husband just brought that to my attetion yesterday. bubbling paint a small spot has erroded!