Sponsored

Is Bronco worth the wait?

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Secondly, you can't remove the tops and door which brings people to either the Wrangler or Bronco.
This is not universally true. I never take the back section of the hardtop off. Don’t take the doors off, either. I use my rig primarily for overlanding and I would be permanently covered in dust. I do see the appeal, and I’ve owned several convertibles, but topless Jeep just isn’t my jam.

I would buy a fixed-roof Wrangler if it meant I could ditch the sport bar/cage. It eats up a ton of cargo space. And yes, I realize I’m a freak.
Sponsored

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
This is not universally true. I never take the back section of the hardtop off. Don’t take the doors off, either. I use my rig primarily for overlanding and I would be permanently covered in dust. I do see the appeal, and I’ve owned several convertibles, but topless Jeep just isn’t my jam.

I would buy a fixed-roof Wrangler if it meant I could ditch the sport bar/cage. It eats up a ton of cargo space. And yes, I realize I’m a freak.
You are an outlier and not someone that the Bronco or Wrangler is marketed towards.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I would say no for the simple reason, their scam marketing where you have to put a "reservation" deposit, 2 years in advance, that is pure BS!

If Jeep pulled that, the folks on this forum would be up in arms.

Bronco will sell to Ford folks, those who want the iconic Jeep probably will buy a Wrangler.

I looked at one a few weeks back, dont care for the exterior styling, and the interior was 90s vintage playschool plastic crap, Ford needs to terminate their interior designers. The fit and finish was terrible and the soft top did not fit correctly, wrinkles on the side panels.

Per the 10 spd, GM used it one year in their trucks and it wqs so bad they went back to their own 8 spd autos. That should tell you all you need to know, and note Ford was the lead on the design of the 10spd.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't get that either. For one, it's an older vehicle with a high mark up at todays used car market prices. Secondly, you can't remove the tops and door which brings people to either the Wrangler or Bronco. Ford is having problems but there is way too much weight on those issues (like the MIC top and delays) when these comparison videos are made. The response to the Bronco especially those in hand have been overwhelmingly positive. It seems like everyone who actually has one has said that the Bronco has been worth the wait.
Indeed.

The catch is...only 1% of those waiting have gotten their Bronco, or are likely to get it in the next 8-18 months. So, for 99% that wonderful Bronco remains a pipe dream.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
Imo nothing is worth a wait on this scale, life is too short my friends.

I reserved a bronco while riding the hype train. Realized I'd be getting it over a year later and probably for over MSRP. Cancelled said reservation and ordered a wrangler, picked it up last Thursday and couldn't be happier.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You are an outlier and not someone that the Bronco or Wrangler is marketed towards.
I wouldn’t say that. I’ve owned more Jeeps than I can count. The last time I removed the top on any of my Wranglers was six years ago, and the doors...well, never.

There are plenty of reasons to enjoy a Wrangler; removing the tops and doors is not the only one.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I would say no for the simple reason, their scam marketing where you have to put a "reservation" deposit, 2 years in advance, that is pure BS!

Bronco will sell to Ford folks, those who want the iconic Jeep probably will buy a Wrangler.

I looked at one a few weeks back, dont care for the exterior styling, and the interior was 90s vintage playschool plastic crap, Ford needs to terminate their interior designers. The fit and finish was terrible and the soft top did not fit correctly, wrinkles on the side panels.

Per the 10 spd, GM used it one year in their trucks and it wqs so bad they went back to their own 8 spd autos. That should tell you all you need to know, and note Ford was the lead on the design of the 10spd.
Yeah, the hype was the biggest turn off for me, too.

I started genuinely excited about the idea of Bronco coming back. But the endless delays, and the lack of honesty with which Ford has handled everything, including the marketing, blaming the suppliers, etc., was just too much.

It’s gotten to the point that those still waiting don’t believe anything coming out of Ford anymore. Every time Ford shows another ad or throws them a trinket, only serves to remind them of the crappy situation they are in, and to piss then off.

Last weekend, the head of N.A. Communications tweeted a photo of a Bronco running through the desert. The whole thing was tone deaf. There was such furious blowback, he had to delete the post and issue an apology.

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
The Bronco "Sport" is built in Mexico. Already had 2 recalls. You want that?

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Bronco "Sport" is built in Mexico. Already had 2 recalls. You want that?
The HEMI 392 is also built in Mexico; it is stout.

On the other hand, the US-built 2021 Explorer launched with all sorts of problems.

Bottom line is, all Fords, regardless of where they are built, seem to launch with a string of recalls.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I don't agree he's an outlier. It's always said on here most Wrangler buyers care about appearance and image. While more people remove the top and doors than there's people that legitimately offroad, most buyers don't do anything with the top or doors. I'm of the opinion a secure, non-convertible hard top would sell really well to reduce interior noise, give better security and eliminate leaks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Imo nothing is worth a wait on this scale, life is too short my friends.

I reserved a bronco while riding the hype train. Realized I'd be getting it over a year later and probably for over MSRP. Cancelled said reservation and ordered a wrangler, picked it up last Thursday and couldn't be happier.
That, right there, is the bottom line.

Last edited:

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to say if it's worth the wait when no one, including Ford, has any idea when they will deliver to customers. Six months...a year....2 years? And even if you could get one tomorrow, would you want it? Nah, I'll pass. Love the looks of the 2-door, but momma didn't raise no fool.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Nope, got my refund back this morning. Ford + Covid totally screwed this launch!!!

I really liked the easier to remove doors and cowl mounted mirrors. However, seeing it in person really changed my mind. I had no idea how much BIGGER it is along with the awful cheap plastic interior. Ford had some great ideas but truly botched the execution!!!

Still in D waiting on my Rubicon hoping for the best. I probably wouldn't have seen my Bronco till 2023 or late 2022 at best. Not willing to waste another summer on a questionable product. Some of the problems with early delivery Broncos are scary!!!

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-bronco-replace-molded-in-color-hardtop/

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

In all fairness the deposits were not much of a comitment. The deposit was only $100 and is fully refundable. I suspect a LOT of these deposits will be refunded. Either due to the Bronco not being what they expected, delays, or change of heart.

The transmissions are a big deal.

I test drove a Bronco very briefly. Full disclosure. Not enough to determine how well the 10-speed drives, performs, or holds up. It was a brand new truck and I did not want to beat it up. I have driven a version of the Ford/GM 10-speed in a Mustang GT. A friend's car we took on a road trip. So not a apples-to-apples comparison. The Mustang's 10-speed was not nearly as good as the ZF 8-speeds I have driven in other sports cars. It was not even close to the ZF 8-speed in the BMWs and Supra.

I feel the ZF 8-speed is probably the best torque converter automatic transmission made. It transformed how the Wrangler drives. The ZF is probably the most drastic driving improvement between a 3.6 JK and 3.6JL. It is perfectly matched to the 2.0T JL also. BMW stopped using DCTs in some M-Cars. They use a version of the ZF 8-speed in it's new M-Cars. It is that good.

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
I have a reservation (no order yet) with a dealer who's selling for below invoice. I've waited many years for a Bronco, so i can wait a couple more. Plus, by the time mine is producted (probably late 2022), they 'should' have all the issues worked out. However, If i find a money tree, I'd order a 2 dr Willys in a heartbeat.
Sponsored