Initial Impressions: Sky One-Touch Power Top

sbco

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sky One Touch
Well, after a roof replacement, then another trip to replace the header bar, overhead console, latches and weather strip I take the Jeep home and this morning I discover the roof is still doing the same thing the first roof did. I told them to talk to someone before I call my lawyer because I don't want a number 5 repair
Has your dealer created a Star case for the repairs yet with Jeep? Once that is done you should have a corporate contact at Jeep Cares.

For everyone with this issue they should be requesting that to get support on a long term repair.
Sponsored

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
If I ever convince my wife that we need another Jeep, this is the option I think will win her over.

If it were up to her we’d never switch from the hard top to soft top, freedom panels would never be removed and the soft top would rarely be dropped - good job the JLR is mine, not hers..lol.

I had a similar top design in my Abarth 500c, easy to use, retract while moving, little wind interference and leak free. I’d just know to buy spare parts for the mechanism as the cables on the 500’s tops were prone to stretching or breaking (mine was fine but read enough from others...similar to what I see here).

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I'm guessing many of you bragging about your one touch skyroof may not even know if it's defective. I find it difficult to believe I have the only one defective AND that the replacement was the only one to fail like the original. There is glare so in the picture the first band of wide white is the white plastic piece running along the edge of the top. But the thin strip of white is looking under the top to the outside. At 65mph the top lifts from the rail. It is hard to see unless you are on the other side of the jeep when it is doing it because the edge of the roof is about 2 to 3 inches past the support and unless you are tall or lift up you may not see if.

For those of you that love your roof. I understand. I loved mine too. It's why I traded. Mine started doing this at 14,000 miles and is still doing it at 15,000 after 4 trips to the garage and a replacement roof installed (even it has been to the repair shop once)

IMG_6390.JPG

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing many of you bragging about your one touch skyroof may not even know if it's defective. I find it difficult to believe I have the only one defective AND that the replacement was the only one to fail like the original. There is glare so in the picture the first band of wide white is the white plastic piece running along the edge of the top. But the thin strip of white is looking under the top to the outside. At 65mph the top lifts from the rail. It is hard to see unless you are on the other side of the jeep when it is doing it because the edge of the roof is about 2 to 3 inches past the support and unless you are tall or lift up you may not see if.

For those of you that love your roof. I understand. I loved mine too. It's why I traded. Mine started doing this at 14,000 miles and is still doing it at 15,000 after 4 trips to the garage and a replacement roof installed (even it has been to the repair shop once)

IMG_6390.JPG
I read your earlier thread about your top. I have since had my Wife check out Top going 70 mph and do not see any light like your pic shows. She
didn't see any separation at all. I wish Jeep had an answer. I just was at the dealership for an Oil change and they have 3 new 2020 Rubicons sitting on lot with Sky One Top. Jeep has enough history now to know things about them I would think. I only have 5500 miles though.

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
Do you run it through an automatic car wash? I have a buddy that is having the same issue after a year, but he runs his through a car wash 3 days a week. Dealer told me when I bought it that the high pressure from the systems eventually kills the seals, so I shouldn't run it through them.

Sponsored

Kokis

First Name
Giorgos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
have a sky top at 1000 miles. Havent any issues so far except the wind noise. At highway speed it gets very noisy. Have not driven a hartop before but from what i read in this forum, i believe mine is much more noisier.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do you run it through an automatic car wash? I have a buddy that is having the same issue after a year, but he runs his through a car wash 3 days a week. Dealer told me when I bought it that the high pressure from the systems eventually kills the seals, so I shouldn't run it through them.
I never take my autos through car washes. I hand wash only. I have used high-pressure wands to wash undercarriage to get the mud out. I don't use soap. My friend detailed autos for years and soap hurts your clearcoat and wax. I use running water hose and sponge and rinse and wipe the same time. Just old school I guess.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
have a sky top at 1000 miles. Havent any issues so far except the wind noise. At highway speed it gets very noisy. Have not driven a hartop before but from what i read in this forum, i believe mine is much more noisier.
Been in soft top and hardtop and my Sky One top has a lot less wind noise. Its a Jeep with Top so it will have some wind sound.

Fays4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Z71
That’s crazy! I hope you get it figured out. I have 11,000 miles on mine open and close it several times a day and so far it has been great! No leaks no gaps no rattles and I live way down a bumpy dirt road. Hopefully it continues to hold up. First sign of trouble I will be trading it in..

Sponsored

Tye_Dylan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sahara JKU
i was seriously looking at a used 19 with this but this thread is making me question that decision. Aesthetically i'm not a huge fan, open or closed, but absolutely love the functionality of it... Just wondering if it's worth the potential issues that seem to be coming up for some folks. Squeaking, leaks, excessive heat...no car washes ever! hmmmm

Gorilla83

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 4XE, 2021 Tesla 3 Performance
Occupation
Tech and Real Estate Guy
Any further thoughts here or updates? Currently sourcing my JL and as of now this is a 100% must have feature.

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
Glad to share my thoughts. I've had my Jeep since July. I live in Memphis and it's been an odd winter, which means it's been slightly cooler and VERY rainy.

I ABSOLUTELY love this top! Last night it was clear skies and 46 degrees and I had the top wide open. I also have the heated seats and heated steering wheel and had the heat blasting but so what :)

I have had no problems at all with my roof. No leaks. I stay warm in the winter. Noise levels are not an issue.

The convenience of being able to open and close my top with a button is just sweet.

I could not imagine having to take off roof panels or the entire roof. No way for me.

Kenc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM TRX, 2020 C8 Corvette, and a Wrangler 392
Occupation
Boat Builder
Any further thoughts here or updates? Currently sourcing my JL and as of now this is a 100% must have feature.
I have not had any problems with mine and I run it through car washes and everything. I have had soft tops, hard tops, etc. and I will never have another wrangler without the sky one touch top. I absolutely love it and because it is so easy to use my top is open more than it normally would and that is one of the reasons we buy jeeps. Can’t do that in a Bronco! Do it! You won’t regret it!