Sky One-Touch Power-Top removal issues?

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I wouldn’t try to take it off in one piece, besides it is easier to store in two pieces (well, four if you count the quarter windows. I hung mine from the ceiling in my shed.

i like the softtop in summer too.
Gregj
Thanks for the reply, and being able to hang it is what I was concerned with. We used to hang the hard top of the JKU, and I already have that set up. :like:
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Thanks for the reply, and being able to hang it is what I was concerned with. We used to hang the hard top of the JKU, and I already have that set up. :like:
Just fyi, you will need the targa brackets for the softtop to latch to and you will have to remove the locator pins from the header in front to clear the softtop.
Gregj
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Power-Top removal issues? 2144341F-3E61-4B22-91FA-8036A794AA0D

RMANGANELLI

First Name
ROCCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ 2022 JLUR
So glad I just saw this I ordered a Rubi in sarge green and manual in december that never got built. I was able to pick up a hydro blue similar to what I ordered but it has a SOT which im not a fan of but was honestly tired of waiting. I want to convert to a soft top and hard top for the vehicle. How were you able to obtain all the pieces for it. I looked at a bunch of schematics but want to really see how you did it to get a list together to order it.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So glad I just saw this I ordered a Rubi in sarge green and manual in december that never got built. I was able to pick up a hydro blue similar to what I ordered but it has a SOT which im not a fan of but was honestly tired of waiting. I want to convert to a soft top and hard top for the vehicle. How were you able to obtain all the pieces for it. I looked at a bunch of schematics but want to really see how you did it to get a list together to order it.
Probably the easiest way to get all the parts is trade tops with someone, post a WTT in the Marketplace and I bet someone will trade you for it. That way you get all the pieces you need, otherwise you can order all the pieces but that could get expensive.

Gregj

RMANGANELLI

First Name
ROCCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ 2022 JLUR
Probably the easiest way to get all the parts is trade tops with someone, post a WTT in the Marketplace and I bet someone will trade you for it. That way you get all the pieces you need, otherwise you can order all the pieces but that could get expensive.

Gregj
By any chance would you have the list of pieces needed

Sponsored

Bbran

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Just fyi, you will need the targa brackets for the softtop to latch to and you will have to remove the locator pins from the header in front to clear the softtop.
Gregj
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Power-Top removal issues? 2144341F-3E61-4B22-91FA-8036A794AA0D
Looking at converting mine from SOT to soft top like you. Aside from the brackets, was anything else you had to do? Did the header trim piece (with the buttons on it) work with the brackets you had to add? Thanks for the help.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at converting mine from SOT to soft top like you. Aside from the brackets, was anything else you had to do? Did the header trim piece (with the buttons on it) work with the brackets you had to add? Thanks for the help.
For the softtop you just need the brackets. The SOT header panel doesn’t have the cutout for this bracket, you may be able to trim it to make it work but I don’t know how good that will look. The visor will cover it when it is up.
C7815BB3-5D27-4D54-8247-49DDD09E3F25.jpeg

Gregj

Nrf726

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara altitude jlu
Occupation
Local 12431 steel workers
For the softtop you just need the brackets. The SOT header panel doesn’t have the cutout for this bracket, you may be able to trim it to make it work but I don’t know how good that will look. The visor will cover it when it is up.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Power-Top removal issues? C7815BB3-5D27-4D54-8247-49DDD09E3F25

Gregj
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One-Touch Power-Top removal issues? C7815BB3-5D27-4D54-8247-49DDD09E3F25

Gregj
Would you mind a write up on what’s needed to do this swap ? I guess instructions lol

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would you mind a write up on what’s needed to do this swap ? I guess instructions lol
I really don’t have a set of instructions or YouTube videos. Brandon Hanline(?) has a video on just removing the top, it is pretty much just unplug and unbolt.

If you are going to run a softtop then you will need the targa brackets and remove the pins in the picture above. To put the SOT back on you just have to put the pins back but the targa brackets can stay in as they don’t interfere with the SOT.

I have done a few other things to make swapping between the tops easier, I removed the SOT switch from the windshield molding and installed these to run the top, green is open and red is close.
9B69304E-0520-4634-B05B-E379F0672EAC.jpeg

I also put a regular windshield molding in and drilled a hole to make installing the stricker bracket easier.
5F52BFD5-A458-4903-9921-AAA76A54089D.jpeg

I put a plug in the hole for a cleaner look.

The biggest pain is swapping the windshield molding as you have to remove a couple trim panels to get to all the plugs. One is behind the grab handles on the A pillar and the visor connector is under the rollbar trim.

If you have questions I’ll be happy to try and answer them

Gregj

Nrf726

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara altitude jlu
Occupation
I really don’t have a set of instructions or YouTube videos. Brandon Hanline(?) has a video on just removing the top, it is pretty much just unplug and unbolt.

If you are going to run a softtop then you will need the targa brackets and remove the pins in the picture above. To put the SOT back on you just have to put the pins back but the targa brackets can stay in as they don’t interfere with the SOT.

I have done a few other things to make swapping between the tops easier, I removed the SOT switch from the windshield molding and installed these to run the top, green is open and red is close.
9B69304E-0520-4634-B05B-E379F0672EAC.jpeg

I also put a regular windshield molding in and drilled a hole to make installing the stricker bracket easier.
5F52BFD5-A458-4903-9921-AAA76A54089D.jpeg

I put a plug in the hole for a cleaner look.

The biggest pain is swapping the windshield molding as you have to remove a couple trim panels to get to all the plugs. One is behind the grab handles on the A pillar and the visor connector is under the rollbar trim.

If you have questions I’ll be happy to try and answer them

Gregj
When you say the moulding you mean the plastic panel right ?

Sponsored

Nrf726

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara altitude jlu
Occupation
When you say the moulding you mean the plastic panel right ?
If I’m understanding right I need to swap the plastic sot panel with a soft top one because of the cut outs then just install the mounts for the soft top clamps to catch

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I’m understanding right I need to swap the plastic sot panel with a soft top one because of the cut outs then just install the mounts for the soft top clamps to catch
Yes, and it requires some disassembly to take it out. I think you can just pull the panel loose and pop the wire harness loose from it and just replace the plastic piece.
Gregj

Nrf726

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara altitude jlu
Occupation