Initial Impressions: Sky One-Touch Power Top

wvgasguy

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Won my arbitration case. Jeep will be buying back my Rubicon. Really disappointed in my dealings with them over a pretty minor issue that should have been fixed. I don't think they took me very serious. If indeed you do have a problem off warranty be aware it could end up costing 1000's. Fortunately few have an issue.

Advertisement

zingat

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Jeepster !
Vehicle Showcase
@wvgasguy Just curious on the buyback terms. Do you get full money back for purchase price paid or is it adjusted to current market value based on mileage and condition?

wvgasguy

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
@wvgasguy Just curious on the buyback terms. Do you get full money back for purchase price paid or is it adjusted to current market value based on mileage and condition?
I get full amount paid plus the sales tax, lisc and dealer fees and no user costs for the 17,000 miles I put on it. I really liked this Jeep but not taking the $15,000 depreciation hit is gonna be real nice

scgmc

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 72 Formula 400, Yamaha WR250R, Dozens of Kayaks and Canoes, Future Jeep Wrangler JL Owner
I get full amount paid plus the sales tax, lisc and dealer fees and no user costs for the 17,000 miles I put on it. I really liked this Jeep but not taking the $15,000 depreciation hit is gonna be real nice
I’m sorry they never could get your issue corrected. That sucks. I’m glad they made it right enough that you are fairly satisfied with what they ultimately gave you for buying back your Rubicon. I realize the hassle was worth more.

I read your story intently because right now I’m heavily favoring the Sky One-Touch over the hardtop. I test drove them all and found it to be the quietest. Plus I love the convenience of it. I just think I will go open air more often with that option. It’s great to hear a first hand account so if I go that route, I can’t say I wasn’t warned. Thanks for posting your account. Buyer beware/aware.

I’m curious, after all the issues you had, and your dealings with corporate Jeep, are you going to buy another? If so, which top?

Last edited:

wvgasguy

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I’m sorry they never could get your issue corrected. That sucks. I’m glad they made it right enough that you are fairly satisfied with what they ultimately gave you for buying back your Rubicon. I realize the hassle was worth more.

I read your story intently because right now I’m heavily favoring the Sky One-Touch over the hardtop. I test drove them all and found it to be the quietest. Plus I love the convenience of it. I just think I will go open air more often with that option. It’s great to hear a first hand account so if I go that route, I can’t say I wasn’t warned. Thanks for posting your account. Buyer beware/aware.

I’m curious, after all the issues you had, and your dealings with corporate Jeep, are you going to buy another? If so, which top?
I'm about 50/50 on buying another Jeep. I'm 100% NOT considering another one touch sky top but that's just me. The only reason I traded to get the new jeep was for that top. My wife liked it and it was an excuse for me to get a Rubicon. But I refuse to be burnt twice so No.

However I am retired. I bought this last one loaded thinking I would never need to trade it and keep it until I quit driving. I liked the top. BUT, Jeep has spent well over $5000 working on mine. I think it should have been an easy fix but the technician didn't know what to do and Jeep didn't advise them until it was too late. Supposedly on what would have been my 5th visit jeep sent instructions. I didn't allow them to work on it and instead started the arbitration process. However, I understand if I kept the Jeep a long time I would need to make mechanical repairs. BUT I was not willing to start paying out possibly 1000's in 7 years because of a top that didn't seal correctly.

The BIG problem I see is that Jeep has priced the JL so high that it is no longer a "value". I live in an area where the deals were $3,000 max off MSRP. I bought locally. Almost $56,000 + a few accessories is what I paid. But when I started having problems I knew they would bug me so I checked on trading it in. $40,000 was the best I was going to do. $16K depreciation for 1 year is more than I want to take on again. If I get a Jeep, now that I don't have a trade in I would not buy locally and go to Koons or some place where the discounts are more like $8K+. And I would probably drop down to a Sahara Altitude. With Koons discount it is about $10K cheaper than my Rubicon was.

If you keep a vehicle 2 to 3 years and trade like I use to it would not concern me. But my intention was to give it to one of the grandkids. I'm not going to burden them with a possible money pit. One of them gets my TRD Pro 4Runner, that after 3 years of ownership is almost worth what I paid for it.

In my first Jeep I seldom took the Freedom tops off. But I used my Jeep to pick the gkids up from school and sat in hot parking lots a lot every day. I used the top often and cracked it open to cool the interior down. The freedom top Jeep I had first was like an oven

I've only seen one other person with the problem and I think their dealership found the problem. I believe it could have easily been fixed. In fact, if the Jeep goes back to my dealer and they sell it at $40K I wouldn't hesitate to repurchase it after they fix it. But Jeep pi$$ed me off so bad with their service and non response to my concerns and offers that I didn't want to do anything once I started to process that would stop the buy back.

wvgasguy

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I'm actually looking at a Chevy Trail Boss Silverado. I was looking at KBB on the prices of a used one as compared to the Rubicon. It has held its value as compared to the Rubicon very well. Last year when I looked at them they had a very small discount but locally they are advertising them at $11,000 off MSRP AND 0% financing . With the current situation in the auto industry I expect some very good offers on a cash deal and am not fixed to just one thing like I was when I wanted the Rubicon

scgmc

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 72 Formula 400, Yamaha WR250R, Dozens of Kayaks and Canoes, Future Jeep Wrangler JL Owner
wvgasguy: I’d likely done the same thing if I was in your shoes, too. I fix and repair everything myself, but one of the things you are getting when buying new is warranty. I’m too cheap not to use it. That is....until two visits in and they still haven’t fixed it. Time for a new plan!

Finding a lower priced vehicle right at the get-go sounds like exactly what will make it easier for you to try a Jeep again. So...you 100% won’t go for the Sky, and found the Freedom top not to your liking temperature-wise, does that mean IF you buy another you would go for the soft top?

scgmc

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just saw your Trail Boss response. I was too slow to ask the soft top question. ^

I agree with you on both points: having laser focus on one vehicle blinds you to other options out there and cash will almost certainly be king with these uncertain economic times that appear to be coming.

wvgasguy

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
wvgasguy: I’d likely done the same thing if I was in your shoes, too. I fix and repair everything myself, but one of the things you are getting when buying new is warranty. I’m too cheap not to use it. That is....until two visits in and they still haven’t fixed it. Time for a new plan!

Finding a lower priced vehicle right at the get-go sounds like exactly what will make it easier for you to try a Jeep again. So...you 100% won’t go for the Sky, and found the Freedom top not to your liking temperature-wise, does that mean IF you buy another you would go for the soft top?
I'd go back to the Freedom top and get the headliners (standard on the Altitude model). I would never use a convertible top and don't like the looks of them

scgmc

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10-4. I read (and saw videos on YT) that the HotHeads headliners with the Sound Assassins thermal barrier may even help bring the temps down even further. Thanks for your input. Good luck on the next vehicle. You earned it.