Initial Impressions: Sky One-Touch Power Top

four low

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Got my Jeep back today. 4th time in the garage and about 50+ days in the garage. Replaced the top last time. This time replaced the bar across the top, the latches, and the weatherstrip. It sounds a lot better and seems OK. But I've only drove it 10 miles. I guess I'll now soon enough if it's finally fixed
What happened to the top that was removed ? Sent back to factory, or Dumpstered ?

wvgasguy

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired

wvgasguy

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
No offense I hope it stays that way. I hope yours is fixed. Good luck. I went from a Honda to the Jeep and the Honda had no issues up to 130k miles. I have no doubt the Jeep won't even come close to that. Lol
There's a dream vehicle...a Wrangler made by Honda

sbco

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sky One Touch
Still working though my issue in the video. Mine is 100% the side panels and not the rear window. I have had multiple people ride in the back including the tech from the dealer and if you apply pressure to the side panel the sound stops. The sound also stops if you turn the latch so it is not holding the panel in place or press up firmly on the roof around the front latch plate. Seems the roof may have enough flex that it causes the issue.

I’ve tried about everything: extra weather stripping, lubricants, anti friction tape, and Starbucks straws. Some work for a bit and then it comes right back... still under 8k miles.

wvgasguy

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Well, after a roof replacement, then another trip to replace the header bar, overhead console, latches and weather strip I take the Jeep home and this morning I discover the roof is still doing the same thing the first roof did. I told them to talk to someone before I call my lawyer because I don't want a number 5 repair

sbco

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sky One Touch
Well, after a roof replacement, then another trip to replace the header bar, overhead console, latches and weather strip I take the Jeep home and this morning I discover the roof is still doing the same thing the first roof did. I told them to talk to someone before I call my lawyer because I don't want a number 5 repair
Has your dealer created a Star case for the repairs yet with Jeep? Once that is done you should have a corporate contact at Jeep Cares.

For everyone with this issue they should be requesting that to get support on a long term repair.

BikiniJLR

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If I ever convince my wife that we need another Jeep, this is the option I think will win her over.

If it were up to her we’d never switch from the hard top to soft top, freedom panels would never be removed and the soft top would rarely be dropped - good job the JLR is mine, not hers..lol.

I had a similar top design in my Abarth 500c, easy to use, retract while moving, little wind interference and leak free. I’d just know to buy spare parts for the mechanism as the cables on the 500’s tops were prone to stretching or breaking (mine was fine but read enough from others...similar to what I see here).

wvgasguy

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
If I ever convince my wife that we need another Jeep, this is the option I think will win her over.

If it were up to her we’d never switch from the hard top to soft top, freedom panels would never be removed and the soft top would rarely be dropped - good job the JLR is mine, not hers..lol.

I had a similar top design in my Abarth 500c, easy to use, retract while moving, little wind interference and leak free. I’d just know to buy spare parts for the mechanism as the cables on the 500’s tops were prone to stretching or breaking (mine was fine but read enough from others...similar to what I see here).
That was how I convinced her to trade the Sahara for the Rubicon. When she saw the roof, she was quick to say yes to letting me trade.

wvgasguy

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I'm guessing many of you bragging about your one touch skyroof may not even know if it's defective. I find it difficult to believe I have the only one defective AND that the replacement was the only one to fail like the original. There is glare so in the picture the first band of wide white is the white plastic piece running along the edge of the top. But the thin strip of white is looking under the top to the outside. At 65mph the top lifts from the rail. It is hard to see unless you are on the other side of the jeep when it is doing it because the edge of the roof is about 2 to 3 inches past the support and unless you are tall or lift up you may not see if.

For those of you that love your roof. I understand. I loved mine too. It's why I traded. Mine started doing this at 14,000 miles and is still doing it at 15,000 after 4 trips to the garage and a replacement roof installed (even it has been to the repair shop once)

IMG_6390.JPG

NewJLU2019

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing many of you bragging about your one touch skyroof may not even know if it's defective. I find it difficult to believe I have the only one defective AND that the replacement was the only one to fail like the original. There is glare so in the picture the first band of wide white is the white plastic piece running along the edge of the top. But the thin strip of white is looking under the top to the outside. At 65mph the top lifts from the rail. It is hard to see unless you are on the other side of the jeep when it is doing it because the edge of the roof is about 2 to 3 inches past the support and unless you are tall or lift up you may not see if.

For those of you that love your roof. I understand. I loved mine too. It's why I traded. Mine started doing this at 14,000 miles and is still doing it at 15,000 after 4 trips to the garage and a replacement roof installed (even it has been to the repair shop once)

IMG_6390.JPG
I read your earlier thread about your top. I have since had my Wife check out Top going 70 mph and do not see any light like your pic shows. She
didn't see any separation at all. I wish Jeep had an answer. I just was at the dealership for an Oil change and they have 3 new 2020 Rubicons sitting on lot with Sky One Top. Jeep has enough history now to know things about them I would think. I only have 5500 miles though.

wvgasguy

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I read your earlier thread about your top. I have since had my Wife check out Top going 70 mph and do not see any light like your pic shows. She
didn't see any separation at all. I wish Jeep had an answer. I just was at the dealership for an Oil change and they have 3 new 2020 Rubicons sitting on lot with Sky One Top. Jeep has enough history now to know things about them I would think. I only have 5500 miles though.
Mine occurred just after I took the Jeep on a light but bumpy gravel and dirt, nothing serious. I developed a rattle and then a week later I started seeing this on the first roof. Two visits to try and repair and on the third they replaced it. When I drove it off then the new roof had deafening turbulence noise as the front edge didn't seem to pull down as far as the first one and one of the metal supports across the top was rattling against the upper console. It sounded like pebbles being thrown against the side of the Jeep. I don't think they test drove it. Took it back in and they replaced the latches, the header bar it rested on and the plastic console along the top and the weather strip. Drove it home and the next morning as I drove in to the school I looked up and sure enough this was the picture I took

Nikko2020

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you run it through an automatic car wash? I have a buddy that is having the same issue after a year, but he runs his through a car wash 3 days a week. Dealer told me when I bought it that the high pressure from the systems eventually kills the seals, so I shouldn't run it through them.

Kokis

First Name
Giorgos
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
have a sky top at 1000 miles. Havent any issues so far except the wind noise. At highway speed it gets very noisy. Have not driven a hartop before but from what i read in this forum, i believe mine is much more noisier.

NewJLU2019

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Do you run it through an automatic car wash? I have a buddy that is having the same issue after a year, but he runs his through a car wash 3 days a week. Dealer told me when I bought it that the high pressure from the systems eventually kills the seals, so I shouldn't run it through them.
I never take my autos through car washes. I hand wash only. I have used high-pressure wands to wash undercarriage to get the mud out. I don't use soap. My friend detailed autos for years and soap hurts your clearcoat and wax. I use running water hose and sponge and rinse and wipe the same time. Just old school I guess.

NewJLU2019

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
have a sky top at 1000 miles. Havent any issues so far except the wind noise. At highway speed it gets very noisy. Have not driven a hartop before but from what i read in this forum, i believe mine is much more noisier.
Been in soft top and hardtop and my Sky One top has a lot less wind noise. Its a Jeep with Top so it will have some wind sound.