how steep can you go?

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Last time in Moab I made a point of trying some of the steep stuff: Upchuck and Hummer Hill on Behind the Rocks, Where Eagles Dare, Kenny's Climb on Fins N Things. Oddly, according the the pitch and roll gauges in the Off Road Pages they are all exactly 35 degrees (=70%) at the steepest point. (Of course, it FEELS like 90 degrees but I'll trust the gauges :) I did a couple others, too, but didn't have a chance to read the gauges (Hells Gate, the Waterfall on Golden Bar Rim) but they seemed about the same. My JLUR pulled up each of these quite easily thanks to the excellent traction on Moab's slickrock. So my question is: has anyone done anything steeper? Given good traction just how steep can a JL climb?
Sponsored

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR Mojito, 1993 YJ, 2001 Ram 2500, 2012 Ram Dually , 2014 Durango
Occupation
Retired
At the risk of somebody calling BS, I am going to weigh in.
while at Moab during EJS I climbed two extremely steep rock faces, and while watching the incline-o-meter on the dash, I noted one of 45 degrees (Fins n Things) and later in the week (on Hell's Revenge) I was able to climb a rock face which showed 47 degrees.
Both of these were totally maxing my JLUR on 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers out and required quite a bit of low speed wheel spin to heat the rubber up so that I could make the climb.
All of this was done at very low wheel speed and I purposely took the time to watch the incline meter just so I knew how steep I was going.
Call BS if you want, but I'm telling you that's what I saw... :punch:

OP
OP
BillArnett

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
No BS, you saw what you saw. But I would love to know exactly which obstacles you're talking about (so I can try them myself next time :) .

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
According to the gauges I've seen 28° of roll and it made me really question if I should try another line. Not sure how it looked on the outside, this is all from the driver's seat.

Pitch I've never really monitored but I've been in the high 20s.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
If Walweb says it, I believe it.
You should too. Ain’t no bullshit in that man.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I think the "chute" in Sand Hollow outside of St. George UT. is around a 60 degree incline. The Other JLUR I was with there walked up it 2 times in a row with no lift, and and only 35" tires. He made it up with no problem, so I would guess it would go a decent amount more vertical on something that grippy. The big issue is actually getting up the start without dragging the spare tire.

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
If there was a roll over angle index for a base unloaded jeep its not too difficult to calculate new roll over angles if you calculate new moments for the jeep.

Similar to how aircraft CG's are calculated to make sure they are within their limits prior to take off:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_gravity_of_an_aircraft

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
If there was a roll over angle index for a base unloaded jeep its not too difficult to calculate new roll over angles if you calculate new moments for the jeep.

Similar to how aircraft CG's are calculated to make sure they are within their limits prior to take off:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_gravity_of_an_aircraft
I would love to calculate mine with the full underbelly skid system, LCA skids, diff skids, sliders, winch etc. all that extra weight below the normal cog should help increase the numbers By moving the effective cog a good amount.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I briefly got a pretty good pitch and roll coming up out of this obstacle a few weeks ago. No idea what the degree readings were, but it felt extreme and looks extreme in this photo. Thankfully it was only a few seconds. I cannot imagine sustaining either for any length of time, like y’all have!

A7171730-5464-44AE-809B-946606C6BE10.jpeg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Last time in Moab I made a point of trying some of the steep stuff: Upchuck and Hummer Hill on Behind the Rocks, Where Eagles Dare, Kenny's Climb on Fins N Things. Oddly, according the the pitch and roll gauges in the Off Road Pages they are all exactly 35 degrees (=70%) at the steepest point. (Of course, it FEELS like 90 degrees but I'll trust the gauges :) I did a couple others, too, but didn't have a chance to read the gauges (Hells Gate, the Waterfall on Golden Bar Rim) but they seemed about the same. My JLUR pulled up each of these quite easily thanks to the excellent traction on Moab's slickrock. So my question is: has anyone done anything steeper? Given good traction just how steep can a JL climb?
I’ve been this straight up and down..,..

Jeep Wrangler JL how steep can you go? 8F3DF273-E062-42B4-B1B7-6D55E3E6EE21

and this sideways.....

Jeep Wrangler JL how steep can you go? 2321E074-80C3-44C9-9722-376D52FF5CE3

My clinometer only goes to 25, I think it’s broken….🤣

Both felt like I was on my bumper and on my side from the drivers seat......:facepalm:

Last edited:

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Theoretically, 30° side hill is about the tip over point, and 45° is about max possible (I believe the 47° claim). At about 45° traction evaporates, and if you do find some traction, any vehicle will want to do a backwards somersault

I've seen 25° to the side and 34° up which definitely feels like 90°. I may have exceeded that in a couple spots but my dash is so glitchy that half the time my roll and pitch gauges don't work :mad: