Sponsored

How many miles is enough to begin modifications?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up my factory ordered 2019 JLUR on January 12th of 2019. For that just passed Xmas, family members gifted me the Maximus-3 SLP bull bar and Stealth front plate bracket, and a full set of Weathertech all weather mats.

I asked the dealer to not install the oem front plate bracket, so before leaving the lot, I put on the Stealth and through in the mats. Next morning, the bull bar and its chassis reinforcement brackets went on.

Wanting to ensure that I got a good one, I decided to hold off on anything more invasive until it hit the 10k mile mark. I called it the shakedown period. I didn't experience a single hiccup, so I've been going full bore with mods ever since.

I must say, it was definitely hard to see all of these nicely modded Jeeps during my shakedown, but it was worth it to know that I was building on a solid and proven foundation.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigfoot21075

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
WOW. Seriously?!?!?!....
Kind of appears that you wasted time posting this.

I turn 50 in March. This may my wife and I will celebrate our 23rd anniversary.

So just for fun, I added up all the vehicles I have owned and those that we have owned together plus our daughters vehicle (she is a freshman in college). We are under 20 vehicles. I am positive that the sum includes a couple bicycles, a pedal tractor and a tricycle or two.

You are aware that the gas cap, oil cap, and windshield washer fluid caps are removable for a refill / replacement and tires can be rotated correct? Just had to jab ya!!!!!

You number blows my mind. Cannot even comprehend it.
This is what I do instead of going on trips or vacations. I have a nicely outfitted garage and love almost all things with a motor AND a VERY understanding wife.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Like others have said, long enough for normal defects to show up. If you have 500 - 1000 miles on the engine and no oil leaks or engine problems I'd start with a something like a Superchips tune. You can always back that out if you have a warranty issue. For more mechanical engine mods like intakes, charge pipes, bov, etc... I'd wait until 2000 miles to make sure nothing is off. Check for oil consumption etc... That's just me though.
Suspension and others... If you have no steering issues, oil leaks from diff seals, it tracks straight and no strange noises or vibrations, rims and tires are safe even if an issue should pop up a good dealer shouldn't give you any trouble. If you want to go with a tire larger than your stick lift can handle, I'd wait a little longer or go over everything closely. Make sure all of your electrical components work. Take it off-road and make sure some extended use of 4HI and 4LO are working correctly. Then have at it!

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I would say it depends on the mods. I changed my suspension after a year and over 10,000 miles. About the same for my front bumper.

But honestly, and I didn't read every other comment, you need to keep in mind that big mods like suspension run you the risk of a dealer refusing to do warranty work. It can depend from dealer to dealer, and if you stick with Mopar you'll obviously be fine, but other stuff could put you into a frustrating situation and a hard lesson learned. So the real answer is, if you want to be safe and sure that you'll never be refused warranty within your 3 years, don't do anything major.

The reality is that most of us do and are perfectly fine, but you always hate to be that one case where something goes wrong and you suddenly have a very large bill on your hand because dealers refuse to honor warranty.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I will have almost 100% of a build in my garage before I even take possession of my 21 JLUR. So...negative 60-90 days?

Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I don’t think there is a magic number per se. I had 600 miles on my Jeep by the time I got it home (bought out of state). I started the next day. I can inly do mods as money permits though. I guess the most invasive mod is wiring my midland radio and winch. I have 4500 miles on the Jeep now and would love to do a lift, but $$$$.
I would at least put a few hundred miles on it.

Eeshasdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Rubicon
I have a JLURD, and for me it was more about parts availability than mileage. I ordered the Jeep in Oct 2019 and picked it up the end of March 2020. I started ordering parts in Nov 2019. Did a few mods, new hood, bumpers, and RSE steps. Then had to wait for parts to be developed for the diesel. I should get the jeep back this week from suspension, axles, tires and wheels. Then it is more waiting for the Hydro steering from PSC and dual battery kit from Genesis offroad. So as other folks have pointed out, if the parts are available, I would have have them waiting when I picked up the Jeep.
Sponsored