Sponsored

How many miles is enough to begin modifications?

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
With my latest, a 2021 JLUR-D, i went exactly 27 miles.. the distance between the dealer, my house, and the jeep shop :) hahaha i was replacing a nicely mod-d 2019 JLUR, so it felt really odd driving it without mods. That was a few days before thanksgiving and here we are in JANUARY, still waiting for vendors to ship parts and such. Diesel specific shocks seem to be the longest wait time. Go figure! Hahaha
Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I put steel bumpers on the second day I had the Jeep. Actually bought the bumpers before I took delivery of the Jeep.

OP
OP
bigfoot21075

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Wow. Then why are you asking us?
It's an illness.... Hesitation in light of some of the issues I have seen posted, also I have never modded something so extensively right out of the box like this, usually I only do light modifications and wait until it has some miles on it before really diving in.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I put 35" KO2's on the morning after (easier selling take-off tires with next to zero miles) taking delivery. Installed Mopar lift at about 1400 miles, bumpers and winch shortly after that...
However I did plan to wait a bit before doing any 'performance mods' and since she just turned one year and 10,000 miles, I will shortly add a Livernois tune to accompany my Mopar CAI and soon-to-be-released Borla Touring Cat Back for the 2-door JL's.

My first year and 10,000 miles have been trouble free with the exception of the ESS warning lights telling me to 'safely pull over and stop' on about my third day of ownership! Was on a Sunday and luckily I was only a mile or two from the closest Jeep dealer, dropped it off in their service drive and called for a ride home. Service advisor called me and said they found a loose ground at the start-stop relay, has been trouble free since.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
My personal thoughts on this. Go off road at least once bone stock. It should give you an Idea of where you should go to improve the capability based on where you go wheeling.

Sponsored

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Iā€™m going back and forth on this topic myself. I'm considering having my dealer install Teraflex 1.5ā€ spacer lift and 35ā€ General Grabbers on my stock wheels before I take delivery of my JLUR. Hopefully I can sell the brand new 33ā€ BFGā€™s for 80% of the cost for 35ā€ tires. So, 1 mile in my case.

I trust my dealer, they have never given me an ounce of warranty grief because of mods. If I didn't have a dealer I trusted I may have a different mindset.

jrocker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
If I had ordered the parts beforehand, 7 miles.
So, it will be however many miles are on it when the parts start rolling in (currently just under 500).
Going through the dealership's shop for the lift and shoes, so no warranty issues there, and the other mods on the first round shouldn't have any impact on warranty.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Personal preference. We bought our jlur as the wife's daily driver, so mods started slow on purpose. If you count pulling the end caps off the steel bumper and mounting a fire extinguisher as mods, 20 miles. Aside from small things like sill guards and a stubby antenna, we left it stock for the 1st year and wheeled it as was. It wasn't out of warranty concerns, it was more out of easing into beating on the shiny new Jeep. Went 2.5" lift and 37's after that, right before our 1st Moab trip.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
For me:

in about one to 3 months
Rockrails,
Mopar winch
mopar lights
tailgate table
interior rack
amber film for fog lights
phone holsters
fire extinquishers
recovery gear
storage

8 months:
bestop Sunrider
exterior water/fuel rack

none of this would impact warranty items

i also decided when I purchased my jeep that I would ā€˜get my useā€˜ out of my stock 33ā€ tires and rims before considering an upgrade or a lift. Since I only have about 9000 miles on the jeep, the tires are still ā€œnewā€.......

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
I let the vehicle break in properly ( have my own break in procedure) then once i feel its running fine and like I want, then free to mod. Only thing stopping me right now is moola and I want to wait for warranty to be over but otherwise I wouldn't have a problem modding it after a few thousand miles.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
This is my 118th vehicle (not including motorcycles). I LIVE modding. Everything from street rods to 4x4's to muscle cars. I have never owned a vehicle, old or new, that I DIDN'T modify.
WOW. Seriously?!?!?!....
Kind of appears that you wasted time posting this.

I turn 50 in March. This may my wife and I will celebrate our 23rd anniversary.

So just for fun, I added up all the vehicles I have owned and those that we have owned together plus our daughters vehicle (she is a freshman in college). We are under 20 vehicles. I am positive that the sum includes a couple bicycles, a pedal tractor and a tricycle or two.

You are aware that the gas cap, oil cap, and windshield washer fluid caps are removable for a refill / replacement and tires can be rotated correct? Just had to jab ya!!!!!

Your number blows my mind. Cannot even comprehend it.

Last edited:

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It's an illness.... Hesitation in light of some of the issues I have seen posted, also I have never modded something so extensively right out of the box like this, usually I only do light modifications and wait until it has some miles on it before really diving in.
Youā€™re going to have issues pop up over all sorts of mileage markers, itā€™s a Jeep after all.

We have seen and heard of large issues popping up right away and others with those same issues popping up after 20k miles. There is no knowing what situation you will be in.

So might as well not wait. Mod now, have fun, and when issues pop up decide if you want to work through them or dump the car.

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I couldnā€™t wait for delivery, so I had the manufacturer add steel bumpers, LED lights, a premium soft top, cold weather and tow packages. I didnā€™t ā€œmodifyā€ the manual trans or cloth seats.
Thereā€™s no way to modify my garage height for a lift and 35s.
Sponsored